Valspar rubbish at B&Q

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've seen others comment on this garbage B&Q now sell.

Here's my experience.

Spent £60+ on the exact colours my daughter wanted to go with her new room.

Did what I always have done in the past.

Used wide B&Q masking tape all round the ceiling and skirting.

Painted the walls as normal.

Noticed the paint smeared a lot but overcame it by doing a second coat when dry.

When it came to removing the masking tape, calamity.

Huge tranches came off with the tape.

The paint seemed to have formed a skin as though it was rubberised.

I spent hours with a small artists brush repairing the damage.

I will NEVER buy mixed paint from B&Q again.

It never used to be like this before they went exclusively to Valspar.

This is like the rubbish paint they sell in France as the norm.

God help us if this is the way the UK is going.

best to peel off before it dries but is no longer running. Most paints are rubbish thanks to EU laws designed to save the polar bears.

That's the advice usually given, comes with experience and messing up. The problem probably is the masking tape is never completely flat, paint gets under, dries then adheres to the tape then your end result.

Not used Valspar for years but when I was signwriting their Gloss was superb, best on the market.

Using a 'low tack' masking tape may have done the trick but if your 'cutting in' is that bad getting a painter for a few hours would have saved the hassle.

Thinking about it a 'low tack' masking tape wouldn't have made any odds, forget I said that :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I realise this is an old thread but wanted everyone to know this… Have had appaling experience with Valspar paint colour matching. Just didn't cover with multiple coats and using their own primer. Here's what their complaints department had to say: "For any colour which is highly pigmented (Base B or C), the levels of titanium dioxide are significantly reduced to enable the paint to be tinted to a darker colour. Titanium dioxide is the element in paint which provides complete hiding. It is expected for darker colours to hide poorly this is not just with Valspar paints but with all other paint brands. In effect, the hide of highly pigmented paints is not indicative of poor quality paint."

Really? So inability to "hide" is not indicative of a **** poor paint – well I'll let the other paint manufacturers know!

so they use less opacifier in dark paints-you can get black TiOxide as well as white. it is called ilmenite and is superstable so it wont affect the paint pigments or polymers at all. The TiO2 opacifier, like in so many other things was originally another industry's by-product that turned out to be better than lead oxide which it replaced anyway.

• 1 year later...

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do.

Send it to:-

Sir Ian Cheshire

Chief Executive

Kingfisher

Being lazy, I sent my complaint by email but it came straight back as undeliverable.I agree, Valspar is rubbish. Just wasted 2 days painting a small wall and even after 3 coats on top of 3 mist coats on fresh plasterboard, it's still patchy.