Next door council workmen left path in a mess

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm a sole trader, and at the moment I'm busy paying off a council tax debt.

The council were round last week doing a load of work next door, making noise from 8 in the morning and stuff, didn't bother to inform me despite the fact this is their legal responsibility.

Anyway, the path I share with my neighbour is now a mess, it's not that bad but the guy didn't hose all the detritus off right which has left it in a worse state than it was before. I have been keeping very clean this summer, and now I have to sweep it and hose it again.

As a sole trader, if I was to perhaps go out and clean it up, how much would I be in my right to send the council the bill for it?

No, you have to give them notice and then they have an opportunity to make good. Do you own the path? if not you have no rights to anything regardless of who has rights of access You can sue council if you slip over on mud for example but you may have to make them co-defendants with landowner.

I have been maintaing the public highway at my own expense outside my and neighbouring properties for years. I do it because I want it to look presentable and if they did decide to start looking after it themselves I cant imagine it will be as well kept.

• 2 months later...

This is the second time they've done this! Sending workmen into do work on the flat next door and not giving me the mandatory 24 hours minimum notice.

They are good at dishing out the rules to us, and demanding money, but not so good when it comes to following the law on noise pollution.

Do I have a legal right to ask for compensation for this? Maybe I can use some of the money to the get the bailiffs off my case.

This is the second time they've done this! Sending workmen into do work on the flat next door and not giving me the mandatory 24 hours minimum notice.

They are good at dishing out the rules to us, and demanding money, but not so good when it comes to following the law on noise pollution.

Do I have a legal right to ask for compensation for this? Maybe I can use some of the money to the get the bailiffs off my case.

Can you "expand" on this ?