Can the landlord insist on Professional Carpet Cleaning?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have just left a property and the landlord/ letting agent is withholding part of our deposit as we haven't provided receipts for the carpet cleaning. The carpet has been cleaned and this is quite obvious. When we moved in the carpet was dirty as was the whole house with cobwebs and spiders etc... We were told that the house would be professionally cleaned before we moved in and wasn't and the law does state that the property should be left in the same state as it was at the start of the tenancy, and this is clearly cleaner than at the start! Does anyone know where we stand? Thanks.

no they cant withold the deposit if the carpet is better now than it was when you moved in, this is betterment or enrichment and unlawful or illegal. I would have a look at your tenancy agreement and see what it says about carpets walls and other fixtures regarding cleaning on exit. If nothing there that is doubly a reason for not withholding from the deposit.

I would write a strong letter to landlord, copied to letting agent saying taht the carpet is not in a betetr condition than it was when you moved in, that fair wear and tear are not deductable anyway, nothing in contract about professional cleaning and therefore you demand release of funds otherwise you will take action for their recovery for reason of unlawful betterment.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I sold my house to neighour of mine.I will shift in my new house next week but before I leave that house I have to clean the whole house therefore I need a professional cleaning services to me. If you have any suggestion for them please inform me immediately in reply.

Thanks in Advance

A good letting agent should have a 'before' report, with photographs. Rather like when you rent a car, scratches and blemishes etc. There is also going to be a degree of wear and tear on a house.

Totally agree with post 2. We have just brought a house and are finishing off a rental, and have been very firm with the letting agents. They know that a court case is going to be a whole lot more headache than the £300 they are trying to withhold from you, so just be firm.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Cant see that there is an obligation for you to clean the carpet or anything else, they are buying the house as it is unless you were unwise enough to agree to some extraordinary terms in the contract.

Other than that use one of these well known trusted tradespersons websites to look up some suitable people or companies local to you.

Hello,

I sold my house to neighour of mine.I will shift in my new house next week but before I leave that house I have to clean the whole house therefore I need a professional cleaning services to me. If you have any suggestion for them please inform me immediately in reply.

Thanks in Advance