• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hillards v Capital One PPI/ ** WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It seems that every time we do a SAR on one company or another we find info about other accounts we had and paid off or were paying at the time. I've turned up a couple of old Capital One accounts that the wife and myself had in the early 2000's so sent SAR requests, one has arrived today.

It seems that I took a card from them in 2002 and all they have on file is a little form about a quarter of an A4 sheet headed 'Credit Card Account Agreement' and 'Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit act 1974'. The rest was difficult to read as it's badly copied small print. I've scanned and enlarged it. It's one of those 'sign and return' things, not a full agreement and certainly no mention of PPI on it.

On their archive system they have given me a screen shot of a page about PPI but it says 'no data'. However, in the list of transactions it clearly shows PPI being paid month by month. On another form, I think from them setting up the account, it shows both PPI and PPI2 as 'Y' and a rate of 89p per £100. The other figure I'll note here is shown as 'Lifetime APR' and that was 37.3% !!

Between 2002 and 2006 I have a number of PPI payments listed which total £466.75, ranging from 75p to £12.88 over the months. I know it does not work quite this way but, if I apply their own rate of 37.3% the FOSCISheet V101 spreadsheet adds in £19,506.41 of interest - that would be nice :-) I'm sending them a completed FOS questionnaire to see what they say.

There are also lots of late payment and overlimit charged of £20 each, but that's a separate claim. The account went into default in 2006 and was passed to a DCA in early 2008, so is now S/B for recovery purposes.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

if the charges were linked they should refund them too

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if the charges were linked they should refund them too

As in I only went overlimit because of the PPI, but can't really say that for late payment. I'll see what they come back with for PPI before putting in the claim for charges.

Interesting to note that the amount of charges, and accompanying interest, are quite similar. They started at £18, went up to £20 and the final ones were down to £12.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

As in I only went overlimit because of the PPI, but can't really say that for late payment. I'll see what they come back with for PPI before putting in the claim for charges.

Interesting to note that the amount of charges, and accompanying interest, are quite similar. They started at £18, went up to £20 and the final ones were down to £12.

Fca Guidance on further redress-

DISP App 3.9.2

01/04/2013

FCA

In assessing redress, the firm should consider whether there are any other further losses that flow from its breach or failing that were reasonably foreseeable as a consequence of the firm's breach or failing, for example, where the payment protection contract's cost or rejected claims contributed to affordability issues for the associated loan or credit which led to arrears charges, default interest, penal interest rates or other penalties levied by the lender.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Fca Guidance on further redress-

Yep thanks, that agrees with my thoughts. Their calculations may include return of over limit charges if these are found to have been caused by the PPI payments. :-)

Got to ask, because I don't think I'm doing it right here. When I send the FOS questionnaire to CapOne, should I add in a copy of the spreadsheet?

I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near how they will work it out as I've not taken into account the running balance, any over limit fees incurred or whatever. All I've done is list the PPI amounts paid, taken from the transaction records they supplies, and applied their own rate of interest.

If nothing else, it gives them something to relate to, knowing that I have taken the time to check what PPI was paid over the years the account was active. It also gives me an idea of what to expect - I think...?

Here's the spreadsheet, suitably modified to remove personal details and in PDF format. Does this seem right ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53259[/ATTACH]

is the card still active?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

is the card still active?

No, last used in 2006, passed to DCA in early 2008, now SB'd :-)

then you can only claim to

the date they stooped interest.

from then.

you can claim 8% statint on the resultant sum of the CISHEET.

use the statint sheet to do that

from the date their int stopped

and they

OK, rather than get too deep into calculations, just to give myself a guideline idea, I'll just send the FOS questionnaire to them and see what comes back.

FYI, the revised figures show £466.75 in PPI charges taken, Interest at 37.3% to end of them charging interest is £605.88, total £1,072.63. Taking that from then until now with 8% added gives a total of £1,759.56.

It's possible they will come up with a different amount to that and I'd rather not give them ideas that I'd have happily accepted a lower figure if I had given them that data.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing - they've turned this one around quickly, upheld in my favour, and made me an offer already.

They agree to within pennies that the PPI premiums were £466.53 but then they differ on interest and total,

coming out at £803.96 in my favour, after deducting £29.64 for the taxman.

There is a lovely paragraph I feel I must share:

"As you will be aware, we sold your debt to Lowell on xx March 2008 and the outstanding debt conprises in part of PPI premiums

and associated interest which you have not paid.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, we will be sending a chqeue for the full refund amount to you."

Isn't that nice of them, knowing that it's statute barred now :-)

I can't really argue that they've got it wildly wrong as they were only 22p out on the premiums paid.

They've also says that they've allowed a further 38 days at 8% to allow for the settlement going through.

But, I'm puzzled as to what they've calculated the 8% on and from when.

Here's what they say:

PPI Premiums = £466.53 (8% = 299.80)

Associated Interest = £218.86 (8% = 140.64)

8% interest = £148.21 (£440.45)

- I'm using 19/09/2006 as the date the account ended,

so 2921 days (to 18/09/14) on the StatIntSheet101 spready,

the figures in brackets are what it says,

giving a total of £1,125.84,

less £88.09 to the taxman,

I get it to £1037.75.

They are £233.79 out ?

I know it's against all CAG guidance but I may phone and ask what date they've used and see if they'll compare my figures to theirs ;-)

I forgot to mention, the SAR for my wife's CapOne account arrived and there's nothing worth chasing, no PPI or late payments. Ah well, can't win 'em all :-)

Strange that Lowell should choose to leave a message on my answering machine today with a reference number

that tracks back to the CapOne account that's statute barred.

Thankfully, I never answer unknown of withheld numbers and let the Panasonice phones do their stuff with caller barring :-)

I tried calling CapOne to ask how they had calculated the 8% interest and got through to 'Dave', clearly in an Indian call centre.

I failed security somehow, he eventually put me through to a manager in Nottingham who tried calculating 8% of the PPI paid,

which was obviously wrong.

She went off line to speak to someone in the executive office.

After half an ABBA album she came back to me and said they would look into it

and send me a breakdown of the calculations and if they found it to be incorrect they would revise the offer.

assoc interest should surely have been between 19.9 and 24.9%

your offer doesnt seem sufficient to me

if you are a non taxpayer you can reclaim the tax deduction from hmrc

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

It depends what amounts incurred interest though ? If there were certain PPI payments that were made where no interest had occured perhaps?

I don't think the offer is right, the 8% is way out on my calculations.

I am a non-taxpapeyer, in as much as my pension and allowances don't reach the annual limit, normally, but I've had a previous payout this year where the 8% resulted in the taxman getting a few bob that just took me over the £10K, so I can't claim this back

C1 have sent a copy of their calculations.

They say these are in line with FOS guidance and I really cannot argue with the figures as I still don't have a clue how they've worked it out.

I used the FosCISheet v101,

entered the individual payments against the dates they were taken and got a very different set of figures.

My cut off point was in 2006, from the last statement showing PPI.

They appear to have used 2012, their list of calculations goes that far.

Their addition of the 8% starts low and gets higher, the spreadsheet I used calculated less per £ in chronological order

based on 8% APR of the PPI premium. Seems it does not work that way.

I doubt I'll get a better offer by pushing more and need them to pay up so I can take my next case through the courts :-)

Those nice people at Lowell sent me a lovely letter, informing me that they will close my old CapOne account if I pay just 25% of the total outstanding, which was greatly inflated from what was actually owed 8 years ago when the account was shut down.

They seem to have forgotten to mention the Limitations Act 1980 again.

In the meantime, I've started a linked thread because it's the same CapOne account, but asking them to kindly repay the charges on the account: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?433315-Hillards-v-Capital-One-(charges)(5-Viewing)-nbsp

• 3 weeks later...

Cheque dated 8th October arrived this morning :-)

Will advise when this clears so thread title can be updated.

Excellent news :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hillard, did you send Lowell a SB letter ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks