Council Tax 25% discount - incorrect resident details

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all and thank you for reading / helping,

I have received a council tax household form - joining and leaving, from my local council which states they have been advised that the person named (not myself) is now a resident at my address.

Although I know this person, they have never been a resident at my address nor have I given them permission to use my postal address for their correspondence.

I have tried contacting the person in question but they refuse to reply. I have no previous or forwarding address details for them, which is requested on the form.

What are my rights? Is it illegal to use somebody's postal address without their consent? Will I be fined and loose my single person's discount if I cannot provide the council with the information they have requested?

I think you can probably just tell the council that no one else lives at your property or has your permission to use your address for correspondence etc. I don't think it's actually possible to prove that someone doesn't live at your address.

If you do receive any correspondence addressed to them mark it very clearly 'Not known at this address' and return to sender.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks for you reply. I have provided them with the following brief letter to accompany their completed form.

I have been a tenant at ************* since **********, where I have been the only person liable to pay council tax on this property and remain eligible for a single person’s discount of 25% deductible from my council tax bill. I have provided a copy of my tenancy agreement to accompany this letter for your perusal and to justify this statement. I am the only person liable to pay council tax for this address until my tenancy agreement is terminated.

I have completed the Household – Joining & Leaving Form, as requested, which can be found with this letter. I am unable to provide you with details regarding any named person’s previous and forwarding addresses other than my own. I have been and remain to be the only tenant in the property and I have not given anybody permission to use my address for the purpose of receiving written correspondence or with intent to provide evidence of fixed abode.

I declare that the information given above is correct to the best of my knowledge. I hope any residential issues regarding my accommodation are rectified as quickly as possible to avoid further complications.

Yours sincerely,