Notice period help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been off work due to stress etc for about a month now and in that time i have been looking for another job nearer to home more suited to what i am used to doing, I have just been offered a job but the new employer wants me to start in about a weeks time, and my currant job requires me to give 1 months notice. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on the following questions

What will happen if i just leave my currant job to start he new one?

Could i speak to HR to see if they would accept an immediate termination as i have been off for over a month?

I am off to the docs again tomoz for a follow up and i have spoken to my new employer regarding the issues being presented by my currant employer and they said not to worry about ref from them as i have been upfront with them from the start!

Any help would be appreciated

have they been paying you whilst off, or is it SSP?

yes, cld try negotiate an early release (things are always negotiable), they might (likewise) want rid of you (no offence) seeing as you have been off. sometimes, a meeting of minds is the best way forward.

have they been paying you whilst off, or is it SSP?

yes, cld try negotiate an early release (things are always negotiable), they might (likewise) want rid of you (no offence) seeing as you have been off. sometimes, a meeting of minds is the best way forward.

Hi

I have only been getting ssp no pay from them while i am off, I will phone our HR tomorrow and see what i can agree with them

I personally would try to negotiate an early release, too. To leave without fulfilling your notice period could lead to unnecessary problems later - maybe also try to negotiate with your new employer as well to see if you could start slightly later because of the fact you need to fulfil your notice period?

I personally would try to negotiate an early release, too. To leave without fulfilling your notice period could lead to unnecessary problems later - maybe also try to negotiate with your new employer as well to see if you could start slightly later because of the fact you need to fulfil your notice period?

I have spoken to my new employer but they need me to start on the date they have asked if not they will offer the position to someone else, and i don't want to lose this job as it is a job i have been trying to get into for a long time and is going to be better for my health too

Hi

I have only been getting ssp no pay from them while i am off, I will phone our HR tomorrow and see what i can agree with them

ok, speak without prejudice to begin with, ask them if they wld let you leave immediately without the required notice (and maybe no need to tell them you have another job). if they agree, formalise it if required.

see what others suggest though (am not an employment expert :) )

As above - speak to them in the first instance and see if you could be allowed to leave early. They do not have much to lose if you are currently signed off anyway.

If they refuse, then you have two options. The first is to negotiate a new start date with the new employer , and the second is to start the new job anyway. There is very little that the 'old' employer could do about it. In theory, and in normal circumstances, you could be sued for any costs that your leaving early might cause - such as in hiring a temp to cover your work, but if you have not been there for a period anyway then it is highly unlikely that this could possibly be a factor as they have been having to cover it anyway!

So, if it were me I would ask, and if the request is refused, start the new job anyway. Remember that whatever happens you are still entitled to receive any accrued holiday pay, including that which has accrued whilst off sick - that cannot be stopped however much the old employer is cheesed off about lack of notice!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 3 weeks later...