Vauxhall Astra's and Zafira's having issues with their horn Recall for repair - repair failure

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Not sure if any of you are familiar with this,

there was a watchdog piece in 2010 about Vauxhall Astra's and Zafira's having issues with their horn.

The title of the story was "Horn that doesn’t warn".

The fault was that if the vehicles lights were on the horn failed to work,

you could dim the dash lights down almost to the point where you cannot see the speedo

and the horn would work again.

Vauxhall supposedly recalled all vehicles and fitted a clamp/clip to the steering column which they say remedied the problem.

Here are 2 links one being the actual fault and the work shop manual for repairs and the other is the story.

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-h/n__electrical_equipment_and_instruments/technical_service_bulletins/poor_operation_incorrect_operation/horn_intermittent_malfunction/

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consumer-rights-television-programmes/10231-bbc-watchdog-horn-doesnt-warn.html

I recently spoke to 2 different dealers and got conflicting information so Icalled VX up,

I advised them due to the constant conflicting advice from the dealers

I would record the call which they were happy with.

The handler advised it had been recalled in 2010 and had a new complete CIM module installed.

Should I have any further problems with the horn i was to get my car to the garage to investigate

and they will forward their findings onto VX who may contribute for the repairs which could be something from 10% to the full cost.

A few days later I decided to send them a video of my issue

When calling up I got someone else

I explained what the other person had said a few days before,

however this person said the information given a few days prior was incorrect.

My vehicle had not had a new CIM and in fact had just a clip fitted to remedy my problem

I then decided to write to the CEO office and lodge a complaint over being told wrong information constantly.

Ultimately their responce said they say sorry for their wrong information,

the Customer Satisfaction Program has now closed and the recall was for a clamp to be fitted to my vehicle

and this has been carried out so its finished.

They then continued to say there were cases where this matter was not resolved and further actions were carried out.

I disagree with the “recall” being for the clip as to me that is a solution to the problem they recalled for.

All this stinks,

they have also said my cars within 10 years old which would allow me to get the dealership to contact them to see if they will contribute , but are reluctant to actually do anything and continuously fob me off.

Can paste the emails to and Fro as to me they are an interesting read.

Opinions needed on recalls – would you agree with me that if a cars been called in for a particular reason

and the quick fix they done hasn’t worked then it still needs to be completed.

That first link above does state if the CPS failed to rectify the problem then a new CIM is to be installed.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by flexeh
some areas didnt make sense

I think i follow what your are saying, but just to make it clear in my mind as i have only had one cup of tea today so not at my best yet:

There was a recall on the vehicle to fit a clip, has this clip been fitted or not?

Did you own the vehicle at the time or have you purchased it since then?

Has the horn issus occured recently or has it always been a problem?

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

I think i follow what your are saying, but just to make it clear in my mind as i have only had one cup of tea today so not at my best yet:

There was a recall on the vehicle to fit a clip, has this clip been fitted or not?

Did you own the vehicle at the time or have you purchased it since then?

Has the horn issus occured recently or has it always been a problem?

Hi mate

Sorry I tried to condense it as much as poss but realise I may of confused.

Vauxhall astras and zafiras from 04 were recalled due to a problem with the horn not working with the lights on. It took almost 5 years for this to happen because let's face it how often do people need to use their horn at night it's lot often that's why I believe it took as long as it did

I wasn't the vehicles owner at the time, it doesn't matter if I was or not as it was a manufacturers recall I was told as my vehicle is still within 10. Year it could still be done. I purchased it 2013 and I tested the horn (without the lights on) as part of my checks when purchasing the car.

The horn would of been continuous since the repair in. 2010.

It could easily be overlooked because certain things need to be going on to create the environment for the horn not to work.

As one of the links above shows if the vehicle has had the CUstomer satisfaction program done and it has not solved the problem then a complete CIM should be done.

Vauxhall say the clip is fitted and this recall complete but my argument is the recall is for a problem not a solution do therefore recall not complete

There are two types of recalls in the automotive industry; manufacturer and govermental. Most are manurfacturer since companies do not like to be told that their vehicles are dagerous so will do the fix without the nudge from the powers that be. They will have found the route cause and tested a solution on vehicles with sucess. Now being a buisness that likes to make money their solution will not be to fit a whole new stearing cloum if they can get away with a 50p plastic clip.

unless you can force them to accept their responsibilites then you are on your own, you would need to get a engineers report that detals that though the clip had been fitted it has not recitfied the situation and send that along with a copy of their press anoucement saying they will replace the part if its not resolved and instruct them to fix or you will sue.

The sad fact is that they are not bothered by one customers loyality on a secondhand car, they sell 250k new cars a year so it will be down to you to force them to comply with their obligations

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Hi Ssparks

I believe it to be a manufacturers recall only.

As said i have recordings claiming this that and the other which is untrue. I suppose its going to be a bit of a fight i suspect. Have informed watchdog though especially due to the comment by Vauxhall how they will fix all vehicles subject to the recall.

Cheers

Steve

After having watched watchdog I had mine done, first it was a the clip followed later a change of cim. For a cim change, if you have both keys they both need to be re-programmed. I had to persuade my dealer a couple of years later to program my spare free of charge, arguing they should have let me know the spare if I had one would need to be done as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Right this is going to be a longish reply. Ill show you recent emails sent and what Vauxhall's position is on it. Ive drafted a response letter *attached* and may even pursue small claims if you guys agree with what im saying and think i have a chance my email red and vauxhall blue. - id appreciate comments and suggestions please guys if you think i good a good point let me know as i know alot of others have had the same issue.

Dear Ms Petersen

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have attached a zip file called "Vauxhallcall" with the recording of the telephone call i had with Danielle, please note this recording was a second recording as the first one we struggled to find my vehicle and I had to end the call. however I can provide that as well if you would like, even though there is nothing really on there, and would be wasting your time.

As part of the recording please note the following times:

2:00 - transferred to Danielle,

5:55 is where Danielle confirmed recall had taken place in 2010 and what to do with dealer and quoted the dealer assistance centre via a claim form.

7:25 - where I queried what was actually done and she said it was complete CIM, I again checked and she said no definitely the CIM, and she confirmed vehicle under 10 years old and will go via dealer assistance centre.

Also please find a video I did on the following link on YouTube demonstrating the issue I have with the Horn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsZ6HXxbWzM. This issue is the same as what the recall was supposed to of fixed, lights on horn does not work, dim the lights horn works. Also to add at speed if you get it so the lights are dim enough for the horn to work it will not sound a constant sound but instead do short bursts similar to an alarm. I believe this is due to the vibrations while driving at speed. I will try to get my partner to record me doing this if safe to do so to highlight the issue. To advise also on the video Daneille does state another option the dealer assistance program and warranty system if vehicle is under 10 years old, so that implied there are other options apart from the Customer Satisfaction Program which you said has since been closed.

I want to give you the opportunity to review the video and my recording and provide a response before I take further action. I posted our correspondence to others that have experienced similar experiences with Vauxhall including wrong information given, I have been advised to contact Watchdog as it’s a case they have dealt with, however I would like to see what your investigation concludes before deciding that action, as my recording and video may make the case be looked into thoroughly. If you have any difficulty with the attachment please do not hesitate to get in touch.

I look forward to hearing back from you

Regards

Dear XXXXXX

Re Vauxhall Zafira, Registration Number XXXXXXX

Thank you for your further email, I have reviewed the recording of your conversation between yourself and Danielle and the YouTube video showing the concern you are experiencing.

Again I can only apologise that the information provided by Danielle was incorrect; the recall was for the clamp to be fitted to your vehicle and this has been carried out.

There were cases where this matter was not resolved and further actions can be taken to resolve. As previously advised the vehicle would need to be seen by Vauxhall retailer and they will be able to use the dealer assistance program to see if we are able to offer any contribution towards the work required. I myself do not have access to this system so would be unable to advise you of a likely outcome.

Thank you for contacting Vauxhall

Yours sincerely

Dear Ms Petersen

let me be frank with how i feel, currently i feel im being fobbed off and noone is taking ownership of my problem. I only found out this issue because i tried to warn some idiot who was drifting into my lane whilst my 2 young children was in the car, and thats the drivign force behind my complaint - the safety of my children, which i do not feel Vauxhall have yet to recognise.

As to regards of the wrong information provided, which to be honest was quite a substancial bit of information, as heard on the recording. All that seems to of happened is an apology, not once have you suggested you will be providing additional training to Daneille to ensure this does not happen again towards another customer.

The recall was for the Horn not working and it was decided that fitting a clamp should rectify the problem which you said has been done on my vehicle, however there is a specific sentence in your email which im finding quite confusing and that is:

"There were cases where this matter was not resolved and further actions can be taken to resolve" - Surely if the clamp was fitted to rectify a horn problem which a number of vehicles were recalled for, and the clamp failed to rectify the problem, then isnt this a case where Vauxhall should explore the other avenues to rectify the problem and complete the recall? cCorrect me if im wrong but thats my assumption on that and as you have said "there were cases" that suggests the clamp wasnt as effective as the engineers at Vauxhall / Opel had hoped

I believe Vauxhall should contribute as part of the recall to rectify the problem as you said the clamp did not solve all cases and rather than to see if you are able to contribute by me doing down to the dealers again and paying for a diagnostic. Surely someone at your office at Vauxhall headquarters will have access to the program if you do not and should be able to liase with you over what can be done and the likely outcome.

Also by the video shown, can you see how the clip has not solved the problem for my vehicle?

Regards

Thank you for your further email.

We do not believe we have been dismissive towards this matter; however, I am sorry if that impression was given.

As previously mentioned there are further actions that can be taken in light of the concern you have experienced. I really must impress that the first action will need to be to have the vehicle inspected.

As I have previously advised the aforementioned Customer Satisfaction Programme has now closed however, the retailer will be able to review your options with you once they have had the opportunity to inspect your vehicle.

I will be happy to follow this matter once the vehicle has been booked in but will be unable to offer any further assistance at this time.

This matter has been raised internally with Danielle.

Thank you for contacting Vauxhall

Yours sincerely

Laura Peterson –Executive Support Manager

Dear Ms Petersen

As stated thats how i currently feel. Since our correspondence i have posted details on various forums and i have been surprised how many people that have had the same issue as myself. One in particular had the clip fitted and his vehicle continued with a problem just like mine and he had since had a new CIM after a lenghy back and forth with Vauxhall.

If i have my vehicle taken in and the garage do find it to be related to the same problem it was recalled over. what are Vauxhall going to do then? If its a case Vauxhall are going to cover it, will i get refunded what i paid to have it looked at? We seem to be going around in circles, all i would like is a definitive answer. In my last email i did request that should you not have access to the dealer assistance program, could you ask someone who does,to allow us insight into likely outcome. I dont really want to waste time and money only to be then told sorry not helping you.

Regards

Thank you for your further email.

It would not be possible for us to offer remote diagnosis on the vehicle.

I do regret that you have not been satisfied with my response to date but I really would not be able to offer any further comment until the vehicle has been inspected.

I do understand that this is not the answer you were hoping for but thank you for contacting Vauxhall.

Yours sincerely

Laura Peterson – Executive Support Manager

I then took my car in the garage 9.9.14 and they dianosed CIM/WIring issue which is related to the recall. So i then emailed again with a copy of the receipt which was rejected under the good will program at the garage

Hi Laura

Did you manage to make any headway when you spoke to the garage yesterday. I know you have previously said you did not have access to the dealer assistance program, however i do hope you have managed to liaise with someone who does so we can perhaps resolve this as quickly as possible. I know you hands were tied before as a diagnosis was required, however now that it has been plugged in and tested i hope that it helps move this on.

Regards

Steve

Following our telephone conversation I have taken the opportunity to look further into this matter.

I regret that I must advise that Vauxhall will not be able to assist with the cost of the repairs to your vehicle. As you are aware the Customer Satisfaction Programme was for the fitting of a clamp to the vehicle. As advised this has been carried out and this campaign has been closed.

After the warranty period on a vehicle has passed Vauxhall’s assistance is calculated through a system which takes into account a number of factors such as age, mileage and service history. In this instance this has been submitted and has come back as no assistance.

I do understand that we have not met your expectations on this occasion but thank you for contacting Vauxhall and allowing us to confirm our position.

Yours sincerely

Laura Peterson – Executive Support Manager

My response is attached - and to me its going to be the response that makes or breaks this and depends on weather its small claims

[ATTACH]53305[/ATTACH]

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just wondered if you ever got VXL to contribute.

I was advised to book my astra h in for a diagnosis which confirmed the cim was faulty.

I'd emailed vxl customer service before this to check my vehicle fitted the criteria (under 10 y/o under 100k miles).

It did but I then have just been told no assistance would be received

(current bill for work is over £100 as they ordered a security pack).

Finding vxl customer service shocking.

I have to chase them up,

no promised call back and they're arrogant & evasive.

They say the scheme ended DEC 2012

which does not explain how many other astra h owners have had the recall work done for free as recently as last month!

Did you pursue them in the small claims court?

Any advice very welcome as i'm extremely frustrated

Many thanks

Andy

They have reviewed the decision and are standing by it.

They didn't seem bothered about any further bad press when I promised them I would be writing to BBC Watchdog with an update, the Motorcodes ombudsman and their own Head Office.

In fact, regarding the latter

they suggested me doing so was pointless as the letter would only come to them and the decision would not change.

I pointed out it is my prerogative to write to whoever the hell I like!!! (what a cheek)

Would be good to hear how the guy above actually got on in the end...

Would be good to hear how the guy above actually got on in the end...

They were online 27th April 2016 so hopefully they will return with an update.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Actually Coniniff they can and do however there is often confusion amongst the public as to what constitutes a recall and what is a campaign. A recall is usually driven by government agencies and will have an end which is usually when a percentage of vehicles have been fixed within the affected range. A campaign however is usually driven by the manufacturer and often has a time limit depending on numbers affected and how long they want to run it. Of course a campaign can turn into a recall .

A good example at the moment is the Takata air bag issue world wide and the constantly changing numbers being recalled in some countries and campaigned in others.

They are only closed for reporting purposes.

From DVSA

"It must be remembered that as far as the producer and/or distributor is concerned the Safety Recall stays open indefinitely

and a customers recall work should be undertaken free of charge regardless of the length of time that has elapsed."

Actually having checked their web site and spoken to my industry related legal contacts I'm not so sure this is the case.

As I have previously pointed out and I see someone else has, the manufacture can declare a non coded recall which is effectively a campaign where they can issue a cut off even though it is safety related. Where a re-call is driven by the DVSA then what you say would apply. In this case I think my previous statement still applies in that where a manufacturer issues a campaign notice it is not the same as an official DVSA re call notice and is often misrepresented as an official re-call notice from the DVSA which is simply not the case. Whilst a manufacturer works in conjunction with the DVSA as regards these notices, in this case I would suggest that Vauxhall have done nothing wrong.

Actually having checked their web site and spoken to my industry related legal contacts I'm not so sure this is the case.

As I have previously pointed out and I see someone else has, the manufacture can declare a non coded recall which is effectively a campaign where they can issue a cut off even though it is safety related. Where a re-call is driven by the DVSA then what you say would apply. In this case I think my previous statement still applies in that where a manufacturer issues a campaign notice it is not the same as an official DVSA re call notice and is often misrepresented as an official re-call notice from the DVSA which is simply not the case. Whilst a manufacturer works in conjunction with the DVSA as regards these notices, in this case I would suggest that Vauxhall have done nothing wrong.

You are correct. I should have made the distinction between a manufacturers recall and the DVSA recall. Sorry about that.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, hope you are well. I'm sorry to open up an old thread here, but I was just wondering if anyone had ever successfully had the CIM replaced by Vauxhall over 100,000 miles or if anyone had been successful in small claims over this issue?

My horn was functioning intermittently for a while but I thought I can't have been hitting it properly.

So long story short, I took to an independent retailer who cleaned the contacts and advised the CIM may need replacing. This was at 97,000 miles. This seemed to work,

it was only when I realised about a month later that it still didn't work with the lights on that I went to Google the solution.

At this point I found out about the CIM issue for the first time (Vauxhall did not inform me) and so contacted them; by this time my car was at 100,700 miles.

The vehicle is 59 plate that I have owned from new so within their 10 year and arguably the fault arose under 100,000 miles, but they flat out refused to help.

Pretty sure they did some work on this issue in 2011ish, but they didn't tell me what it was.

All I noticed was that the radio controls on the steering wheel had been fixed!

I have subsequently got the part replaced independently (don't trust Vauxhall to provide it) and it is manufactured before the date of the ones that the workshop manual advises is fitted.

They are refusing to answer requests for the affected part numbers and have not even acknowledged my e-mails! I will be writing to the CEO in the next few days, but I would be grateful if anyone could help with details of previous successes?

Thank you,

Phil

I'm very tempted to go to small claims with this one if the CEO is not willing to help. Does anyone know if small claims 'wins' count as a precedent / case law? If so, and allowed by data protection (and if I won), I'd be happy to post the result on here in order to allow everyone else to start claiming.