Employment and mental health

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

For the past 6ish years I've been experiencing what you could call mental health issues (depression/anxiety like symptoms) due to various past and present reasons and have never felt the need or brought my self to seek help.

I have finally decided to and I am slightly concerned on what the implications could be, (part of the reason I have never sought help).

Basically I know that it is in my best interest to inform my employer once I have seen someone, but do I have to?

They have quite an 'old school' approach to everything so I worry that they could just see me as a liability. I haven't had any time off and will not in the future due to this, i'll still be fully capable to fulfil my capacity at work.

Is there anything to stop them from doing this? Bearing in mind that I will not be signed off probation for another 2 months. Also I never disclosed any of this during my interview as in my honest opinion I didn't think I had any problems.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudiceicon. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional.

All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here,my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

" No one can make you feel inferior without your consent " - Eleanor Roosevelt

You are under no obligation to tell your employer anything BUT not telling them means that you can't then claim any protection under equality legislation for example. Also not telling is not quite the same as lying - if you expressly said you had no mental health problems when you do, your employer could see that as a reason to sack you.

That said, if you've never sought help before how would anyone prove you had mental health issues before? For all anyone knows they could be entirely new. If it's not likely to affect your work and you're not likely to want any help or adjustments from your employer, you may be best off keeping quiet for now.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You've put my mind at rest a bit. I was unsure if I had an obligation to tell then, think im going to take reallymadwoman's advice and just keep quite about it.

Thanks for the replies :)

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudiceicon. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional.

All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here,my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

" No one can make you feel inferior without your consent " - Eleanor Roosevelt

Nobody's business but your own.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.