Employment Tribunal/County Court - Same Case Twice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my previous employer to an Employment Tribunal and won the case (Unfair dismissal/refusal to pay outstanding wages etc). My employer filed a counter claim, which was also dismissed (Breach of contract/training costs).

My previous employer has submitted a claim for the same counter claim at a county court.

I have written to the court to request that the case be struck out and the court has asked my previous employer to clarify that they are seeking the same 'costs' my previous employer has confirmed that they ARE seeking the same costs.

I have received a hearing date from the court.

Why has this happened - Can this not just be struck out without a hearing?

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Try phoning the court and asking them. If they dont know it may not have been looked at by a judge yet and if that is the case you need to fill out one of the dreaded N forms to ask for it to be struck out. You will have to look up the number of the form. Even after filling out and filing form you may not hear anything until the allocated time as not all judges have the time to read their paperwork ahead of time.

How can your previous employer place a claim in the county court that has been subject to a prievous claim at the Employment Tribunal Service. If he has any gripes it will be needed to be appealed on a point of law to the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT)

You need to confirm though but this does seem an abuse of process and a vexatious litigant

I would agree C W K! The Court did order that my ex employer clarify whether this was the same amount as sought by a counterclaim. The ex employer HAS CONFIRMED that this IS - I have received notification that the hearing is in October!

I have sent an email to the court requesting that the case be referred to a District Judge for further consideration and that it be struck out!

Just make sure that you follow it through - even going through the process of entering a defence (ie that the claim has already been determined in your favour and the claimant's case should be struck out as an abuse of process) - you don't want to be caught out on a technicality!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Generally you can't just send an email, the court require everything to be done according to the CPR.

You need to file an N244 General Application.

You are applying to have it struck out as an abuse of process and you are relying on the doctrine of res judicata ("the matter has already been judged").

Strike-out applications would generally be dealt with at a hearing, not on paper. Especially if you haven't provided the court with the information it would need in order to make a proper assessment of what was decided at the Employment Tribunal. Presumably you would need to provide the court with a copy of the statements of case and a copy of the order/judgment from that hearing in order for the court to make that assessment.

Presumably you have filed a Defence within the proper timelines?

If they have simply issued another claim for an issue which was already decided by the Tribunal, I would prepare a schedule of costs ahead of the hearing and try to claim all the time you have spent on this case at £18 an hour - see http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?326875-***Change-to-Litigant-in-Person-Rate***.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS