style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a roof leak which went unnoticed for a considerable time and caused damage to timbers because it went on for such a long time

The insurance document says fungal damage is not covered.

I have had a look at some other companies and they don't list this as an exclusion.. but can the company I have refuse to pay because they have listed it?

I haven't asked them yet but I presume it isn't covered?

Would appreciate any advice.

I believe that they can, but is it fungal damage or damp?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

All Home Insurances that I have ever seen would exclude cover for such an event. It will be written in the policy somewhere, perhaps general exclusions.

If there has been any damage to internal decoration, if you have accidental damage cover, then have a look at this, as you may have cover for this. It just won't cover the roof and rotten timbers, which is a maintenance issue.

People must remember that Home Insurance is not a home maintenance policy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the leak allowed the fungal damage, otherwise it wouldn't have happened

Fungal, damp, rot, does not make any difference. These are usually excluded.

This is one of these really annoying/costly things. Most people don't inspect their roofs, unless they can be easily inspected. With flat roofs, water can get in quite easily, either because the covering has worn out or because it was not installed properly.

Depending on how long ago the roofing was done, you could perhaps look into whether you can take any action against the roofer/builders.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread