• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

A bit of help for you with RBoS charges

isidore
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Seahorse...

Thanks for the reply buddy. Will keep all posted on my progress.

I think writing to the Bank and requesting a charges statement is definitely the first step even tho I have statements, then at least I can compare them.

Is there any claim templates on here which I can view? I want to draft it in my own words but would be great to see what other successful claimants used.

Thanks again !!

Neil

Jeez you guys - relax!! THIS guy above mentioned getting the bank to do it.. well it appeared to me that this post meant he was going to do that.

I was pointing out - why bother geting in touch with the bank to get them to add your charges and stuff - with all the potential delays, inaccuracies (possibly) or other potential problems. Its just time and needless effort. As my post said, reckon it makes more sense to do it yourself.

:roll:

Hmmm. Not sure where you got the idea he was going to ask th bank to do it. He WAS going to be asking for his past account details so he could calculate his charges, is what I read into it.

No matter. It's good to see you're reading around before diving right in there yourself. ;)

*RELAXES :D

Ok, fair enough and thanks for pointing out.....my confusion was in this thread hasn't been active since january so I assumed you were referring to something in the first post (mine). Thanks for your contribution, can see what you are referring to but I think what he meant was to get a list of charges from them.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Hi T4ff,

I am trying to claim back charges for my brother for his RBoS credit card charges, do you know if I charge the overdraft interest on the prelim letter like a bank account or do I miss it off altogether, trauling the site but cant find the answer......

Fiona

8) FoxyFiona

Hi Fiona,

Things are slightly different for credit cards. You can claim it but the calculations are different and you need a proper credit card spreadsheet. Mindzai has released one here. Not the first link - that one is for bank accounts, but read further down through the thread, there is a credit card spreadsheet released further on.

This should help you sort out the credit card interest.

HTH

Your feedback is always welcome. If you have thanks, tip my scales and let me know....If you're unhappy then speak to HydraUK :grin:

If you have any questions, you will get much better help by posting it on the forums and directing me to it as there are far wiser people around than me :wink:

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

• 1 month later...

Each case is slightly different. I would say that there is a 50/50 chance it will be settled without Court. It depends greatly on what you are claiming for IMO - if you have nothing pre 6 years and arent claiming contractual interest then there's a good chance that the bank will settle, BUT you may have to wait weeks for that event.

In my case the Bank's first offer was just over 25% (from branch manager).

I'm not exactly sure what the process is with the ombudsman but I understand they have a 100% success rate. Just remember to add your 8% interest to the claim BEFORE you submit to the FOS.

Link to my own case which SHOULD be settled in the next few days (mind you I've been hearing that for the last 3 weeks) is in my SIG below.

Please don't forget to click those scales if you have found my advice helpful. (And T4FF too, seeing as we've hijacked his thread ;))

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

i have put all my charges down when i first started a few months ago, didnt realise i could not claim £3 charges, will this affect my outcome?

the rbos are defending my claim, not sure what to do now?

Firstly, the spreadsheet I used was mindzai's which you can find by looking at his profile page - there should be a link to the spreadsheet there.

Over the years, when I received my statements, along with it came an extra page outlining my monthly charge for the previous month. This was made up of my arranged charge(s) - in my case Royalties (I know, I'm foolish...). On top of this however, there would generally be other charges. If I had had a bad month and gone overdrawn, there would be an arrangement fee added to this charge of £28 (or sometimes more). It would then tell me that the sum would be debited from my bank on a certain date (next month) and come the date of charging, there would be an entry on my statement that read "CHG A/C 12345678" (12345678 being my account number).

Now when I received my duplicate statements having sent an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), none of these breakdown sheets were sent so I was a bit stuck, I knew that some of the amount charged on these charges I could claim back and some of it I couldn't (because the Royalties charge for example, is a service and is therefore unclaimable).

Using my statements as a guide to what level of royalties I had (I have at some stage been on Royalties, Gold and Premium and at the top of each statement it will tell you what type of account it is during that month) I basically deducted the monthly Royalties fee from the CHG A/C charge therefore leaving the amount I could claim back.

When setting up your first statement (for your prelim) ensure you add to this any overdraft interest that you can claim back. DO NOT GET THIS CONFUSED WITH 8% INTEREST YOU ADD TO YOUR CLAIM AT COURT STAGE. Overdraft interest is the interest that is charged to your account on a monthly basis when you are overdrawn. This interest is calculated on any amount that exceeds your interest free overdraft (not your agreed overdraft limit). Because your unlawful charges contribute to your overdraft, the interest that is charged against these charges can be claimed back from stage one.

On the spreadsheet, enter the date the interest was debited, the amount charged, the interest free overdraft amount and the balance of your account at the time of the interest charge and the spreadsheet does the rest. It calculates the difference between your overdraft at the time and your interest free amount to find out how much the interest was charged against. It then finds out what percentage of your overdraft is made up of charges and adds this to the claim.

To explain in layman's terms what the spreadsheet does, if you were £600 overdrawn and had an interest free amount of £100, were charged £50 in charges and were deducted £10 in overdraft interest, the spreadsheet would calculate:

Overdraft £600 minus Interest Free £100 equals £500

Charge amount £50 as percentage of Chargeable overdaft £500 equals 10%

Amount claimable equals 10% of interest charge of £10 equals £1

Royalties interest free amounts are easy to find out, just ring RBS and ask them! The current amounts are (or at least were when I did mine) Basic 100, Gold 250, Premier 500. Anything over these amounts (whether it is an agreed amount or not) is charged interest. The obvious issue here is Royalties charges have changed over time and it is difficult to pinpoint when they have changed. For the sake of keeping things simple, I didn't bother finding out, just used the current levels and said so in my prelim - the bank can always amend if they want to (which I doubt they will).

Finally, you can find a list of all charges and their amounts going back as far as 1993 here. This can give you an idea of what charges can be reclaimed and how much they were at the time of the charge you are reviewing. An extremely useful post!!

Had a couple of questions regarding this over pm, thought I would post a couple of them as they may be of use also.....

Can't say for sure, but I added to the letter that I was using the current charges at time of writing to them. Note, I believe some ppl in RBS forum are attempting to obtain a list of historical royalties charges.

The most likely thing is Loanguard. If you had an overdraft and were somehow advised to take this out then you got caught! This is basically payment protection of your overdraft, is arranged and is therefore unclaimable.

i have put all my charges down when i first started a few months ago, didnt realise i could not claim £3 charges, will this affect my outcome?

the rbos are defending my claim, not sure what to do now?

Josie, don't worry too much, with a bit of luck they might miss it, or more likely they will just offer you a sum less the £3 charges (what are the £3 charges you are referring to for??).

What I would do right now, is calculate how much you would be due if you took out the charges you aren't entitled to so you know what the figure is when they come to make an offer.

Hi i have today recieved a letter back from the rbos saying that they are looking into my recent letter regarding fees applied to my account. They are considering my claim and reckon to assess this it will take 6-7 weeks! Do i accept this or push for a quicker response? Thanks your advice has been invaluable.

Robbie, this is a common response from RBS and one you will find mentioned a lot around the forums. It is a delaying tactic....yes the FSA require them to respond to you in a maximum of 8 weeks, but in your letter you have said you require a response in 2 weeks and that's what you stick to.

It will help your cause to have a read around the RBS forum to get an idea of how the process normally goes with RBS, what tricks they try to pull etc.

Good luck ;)

• 9 years later...

threads from 2007!!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...