Aviva Dislosure of Personal info

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Caggers

Here I am with a different case all together.

This morning I received a letter from Aviva Insurance stating that they are writing to inform me

that they have identified incidents relating to a motor claim or accident i was involved in have been accessed

and disclosed to the third party without my/their consent by an employee who has now been dismissed.

It is a detailed letter and i was wondering if they have a case to answer as afterall, they should have measures in place to safe guide my data.

I have since the the accident in question received countless number of calls from insurance related companies offering me this and that.

Do we have any Data Protection Experts in the forum who can advise.

Am happy to scan the whole letter and post it here if necessary.

Please advise.

Thanks RM

Misuse of data can be seen as a criminal offence, hence why the employee was sacked. Aviva could be subject to a fine by the ICO.

If you can demonstrate a loss as a result of the misuse of your data, then Aviva may pay you relevant compensation. This could be as simple as dealing with x number of phone calls and emails. You could write a complaint to Aviva on this basis and advise that you are giving them opportunity to resolve, before it becomes necessary to involve the ICO.

All that has happened, is that an Aviva employee has passed on your details to accident management companies/Solicitors for a referral fee. This has happened on a regular basis with different insurers. The last time was someone in IT giving lists of recent claimants. I thought this was Aviva, so this may be why they have sent the letter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Misuse of data can be seen as a criminal offence, hence why the employee was sacked. Aviva could be subject to a fine by the ICO.

If you can demonstrate a loss as a result of the misuse of your data, then Aviva may pay you relevant compensation. This could be as simple as dealing with x number of phone calls and emails. You could write a complaint to Aviva on this basis and advise that you are giving them opportunity to resolve, before it becomes necessary to involve the ICO.

All that has happened, is that an Aviva employee has passed on your details to accident management companies/Solicitors for a referral fee. This has happened on a regular basis with different insurers. The last time was someone in IT giving lists of recent claimants. I thought this was Aviva, so this may be why they have sent the letter.

This was my view. I am assuming they do this very often as the latter is not even dated which suggests this is a template for re-use or may be they forgot to add a date.

Thanks unclebulgaria67. Is there any wording i can use in my challenge to them?

Thanks again

Would you be prepare to talk to the press about this?

I thnk that you should write a formal letter of complain to the ICO and enclose a copy of Aviva's letter. Ask the ICO what action they propose to tak eand when.

I think that you should respond to AVIVA and ask them for more details about the disclosure. What details. Any personal account or credit card details. Any details of the expiry of your insurance or your vehicle or its registration etc.

Also which third parties have received the leaks.

I thik that it is important to know which kinds of companies are prepared to run their businesses on the basis of stolen information.

Also keep a log of all apporaches you have received by phone or letter - including time, date - ID if you can get it - pretend that you are interested in their approach and get a phone number.

When you understand more about the impact of the whole thing then you can start to work out what it might be worth to you in reasonable compensation.

This was my view. I am assuming they do this very often as the latter is not even dated which suggests this is a template for re-use or may be they forgot to add a date.

Thanks unclebulgaria67. Is there any wording i can use in my challenge to them?

Thanks again

No, there is no wording as such. But you should think about asking Aviva for the information that Bankfodder has suggested. You would be entitled to know what data that relates to you has been passed to third parties and to which third parties.

Also Aviva would have had to advise the ICO of this breach of the DPA and what data was leaked, to whom the data was leaked. So you could ask Aviva for confirmation that they have informed the ICO of this leak of data by an employee of Aviva.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Incidentally, Aviva will refuse to comply with your request - so don't be disappointed. The real purpose of your request is to be able to disclose their unreasonable refusal to the court or the ICO.

What about my media request?

There has already been some media on this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26291075

Guest Aviva Support
Hi Caggers

Here I am with a different case all together.

This morning I received a letter from Aviva Insurance stating that they are writing to inform me

that they have identified incidents relating to a motor claim or accident i was involved in have been accessed

and disclosed to the third party without my/their consent by an employee who has now been dismissed.

It is a detailed letter and i was wondering if they have a case to answer as afterall, they should have measures in place to safe guide my data.

I have since the the accident in question received countless number of calls from insurance related companies offering me this and that.

Do we have any Data Protection Experts in the forum who can advise.

Am happy to scan the whole letter and post it here if necessary.

Please advise.

Thanks RM

Hi mrichard4

I'm really sorry to see this has happened. If you can for security purposes email me at [email protected] with your

Full name

Date of birth

Post code

Policy number

CAG username (So I can link your email to this post)

I can ask our complaints team look into this for you.

Kind regards

Dave

Aviva Social Media team

Hi BankFodder. I will be happy to talk to media. I have already resolved one issue relating to an unfair parking ticket with a local council with the help of the BBC consumer program.

Thanks for this. I've had a media contact. Could you email me your contact details to our admin email address please - including a phone number.

Ta