Compulsory training on own time

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it acceptable for a full time worker (Monday to Friday) to be required to do compulsory first aid training on a Saturday unpaid?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Depends on the employment, whether the employee is hourly paid or salaried, and what the contract says, but generally No. As it will be considered part of the job.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Salaried although works out not much above minimum wage. Not sure what the contract says tbh.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Check the contract as witha lot of salaried jobs, the employee can be required to attend training after their normal hours.

For instance, where i work, the normal salaried hours are 43 hours a week. However the salaried staff can work in excess of 60+. They do have to attend training courses at other sites, but those are counted towards their salaried hours.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Do you get anything in return for being a first aider? What would happen if you didn't do it any more?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Are you being compelled to be a first aider?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Do you get anything in return for being a first aider? What would happen if you didn't do it any more?

It's not me but it's at a children's nursery and I understand all the staff are meant to do it. Tbh the person involved isn't questioning it, but after a full week I thought it seemed a bit off to do an extra days training for 2 weeks on the trot. I don't like to see employers take advantage of staff but maybe it's the norm for some, which is why I asked the question.

Difficult. Some people see this training as a benefit as it has uses outside work. Not all staff need to be qualified even in a nursery situation but it does make rostering easier.

I think it depends if the person objects and is prepared to ask questions really.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It's part of Health & Safety, it's part of the job, any compulsory first aid should be carried out during contracted working hours. Employee Handbook and contract of employment should state that.

Thanks for the input folks. It's certainly a useful skill and good on the cv. The company that run the nursery are a big multi-national and far from the worst employers. The person doesn't object and very happy in her job but things like this and staff meetings at 6.30 pm after a 7 am start do seem a bit off, but I guess that's the nature of the job as it can't be done when the kids are there.

Thanks again. :)