Investigatory meeting at work. Any advice?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I hope someone will be able to help! A couple of days ago, I got a letter from HR inviting me to an investigatory meeting next Monday. The allegations are of misuse of the company's instant message service. I'm accused of inappropriate use during work time and making comments about other members of staff (including management).

I think the other person involved in these conversations also has a meeting (but I'm not sure because I've been told not to discuss this with anyone).

I feel really, really awful about it. I always had at the back of my mind that the system is monitored, but I still got involved in these conversations anyway. It was only with one other person and I was careful not to swear or say anything too terrible, but there were times I did use it to let off steam and I know I shouldn't have.

If the other person also has a meeting, I think she could be in more trouble. She usually started the conversations on it (but I did keep them going) and was far worse in the things she said. She would often swear and make very critical remarks about everyone, colleagues, managers, even the company. I would usually only be replying to one of her comments and (unfortunately) sometimes agreeing.

I am going out of my mind with stress. I feel like all the good work I've done has been destroyed. My manager only started at the company 3mths ago and I feel like I've made a horrible first impression on her, a black mark against my name.

Can anyone give any advice on what the process of the investigatory meeting is likely to be? Also based on what I've said, does it sound like I'm likely to be dismissed? Or do you think I might be given a written warning instead?

Hi curlysuze

Welcome to CAG

Try not too worry, it's an investigatory to try to get to the bottom of what has happened, if company rules have been breached before proceeding to any disciplinary hearing. It might be an idea to read your company handbook, it should tell you what you shouldn't do at work. The following is the process that should be followed:-

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2177

Based on what you have said, I don't think so, but there are lots of different factors they would take into consideration, i.e. have you had previous disciplinary issues before, length of service, etc. I think a warning but it might not even come to that.

Have other employees breached company rules in a similar waybefore? If so what happened to them?

I think all you can say is that it was just meaningless banter and it wasn't meant to be hurtful to anyone, especially to your colleagues. That your very sorry and it won't happen again.

You could consider writing a letter, write down all the positive things you've achieved at work, that you enjoy working there, then explain it was meaningless banter, you didn't mean to be hurtful towards anyone, especially your colleagues, say your sorry, that it won't happen again.

Hand that in before the meeting if you think it will help.

One thing to remember is tell the truth. Only answer direct questions s and be aware that many employers will ask loaded questions to try and trip you up to see if youre telling the truth or not

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Try not too worry, it's an investigatory to try to get to the bottom of what has happened, if company rules have been breached before proceeding to any disciplinary hearing. It might be an idea to read your company handbook, it should tell you what you shouldn't do at work. The following is the process that should be followed:-

acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2177

Based on what you have said, I don't think so, but there are lots of different factors they would take into consideration, i.e. have you had previous disciplinary issues before, length of service, etc. I think a warning but it might not even come to that.

Thanks, rebel11. You've gone a long way to reassuring me! I do feel better now, but just want to get it all out of the way so I can stop worrying. I've read the ACAS guide you linked to, which was really helpful.

I think all you can say is that it was just meaningless banter and it wasn't meant to be hurtful to anyone, especially to your colleagues. That your very sorry and it won't happen again.

You could consider writing a letter, write down all the positive things you've achieved at work, that you enjoy working there, then explain it was meaningless banter, you didn't mean to be hurtful towards anyone, especially your colleagues, say your sorry, that it won't happen again.

Hand that in before the meeting if you think it will help.

Again, really good advice. Especially the bit about the letter. Thing is I really do enjoy working there. Just hope my past good behaviour will be taken into consideration. It's definitely a big lesson for me to learn from. Anything computerised at work can be monitored and used against you. Which is so obvious, I feel pretty stupid for not really thinking about it before.

Thank you :-)

One thing to remember is tell the truth. Only answer direct questions s and be aware that many employers will ask loaded questions to try and trip you up to see if youre telling the truth or not

Thanks renegadeimp, again good advice. I can't really deny it because they are bound to have the conversation records (I guess that's what they are going to show me at the meeting), not that I was planning on not telling the truth! Will be truthful but very careful with my responses.

Thanks to both of you! :-)

HI there

Sorry to hear whats happened, whats happened is past however how you move forward will help you a lot.

Some basic rules I ask everyone in this situation (And as its pre investigatory stage its more helpful so well done for asking for help and not leaving it too late)

1) Check to see if you have the right to have a witness present if you are, use that right,

2) Keep calm. If you feel your going to lose it do not be afraid to ask for a small adjournment to collect your thoughts. If they refuse, make sure your request goes into the notes and that they refused it.

3) At the end, request to read the notes. Ask for corrections to be made. READ THEM SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

4) Sign right under the last sentence and/or draw a giant Z covering up the space between the signatures and the last sentence to prevent things being added.

5) If they refuse to correc tthe notes add something to the meaning of "Signed under duress" or I do not agree these are an accurate record" (ONLY DO THIS IF THEY ARE UNACCURATE)

6) Verbally request the notes at the end of the meeting and that you want them before any disaplinary if it goes that far. Back that request up in writing

Stay calm. Theres a long way before you need to hit panic mode :)

Edited by SabreSheep
error of ommission

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

There is no requirement for a witness at an investigatory meeting unless the person being investigated isnt competent enough to be at the meeting by themselves.

I agree with the rest, but just remember that it is an investigatory meeting and not a disciplinary. the rules are therefore different.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You are right there is no requirement, but you find a lot of workplaces add this as a surplus right at investigation. Esp if it is a larger company that has union recognition agreements. Hence why I said check to see if you have the right.... :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

In my experience, the instigator is usually the worst off - it sounds like you're guilty of a degree of misconduct, but not so serious as to lose your job unless you have under two years service.

I think remorse is the way to go here!