Swinton Home insurance charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone advise or give opinion please?

We are about to move home and my present insurance company has told me that I cannot move my policy onto our new home and it will have to be cancelled and we have to start a new policy. They want me to pay a £50 cancellation fee, which I feel is unfair because I do not want to cancel my insurance- I just want to move home and have my new home insured. On top of that, as I pay by Direct Debit they say I have to pay off the rest off the policy which has 6 months to go. They say they have paid the policy up front for me and allowed me to pay by DD so the remaining part of the policy has to be paid.

Why should I have to do that if we are not insured for our old home and will be paying for a policy on our new home? They are making us pay £50 cancellation when we do not want to cancel and on top of that we have to pay another £100 to pay off our policy before starting a new one.

If you buy a new car, the insurer will transfer the policy and make adjustment to the payments.

I feel that what they are doing is completely wrong but they argue they are within their rights. They say their cooling off time has a cancellation fee of £25 if you decide not to go ahead!!

Edited by honeybee13

This has been posted elsewhere online. Swinton can make these charges per their terms and conditions. If you are unhappy with Swinton they have an official complaints process and you should use it, sending them a letter detailing your complaint.

I understand this relates to the fact that the new property is within 400 meters of a watercourse and therefore as the old Insurers could not provide cover, the previous policy had to be cancelled, with a new policy arranged with a different underwriter. There was nothing stopping you just cancelling the old policy and arranging Insurance elsewhere. Whenever you cancel any insurance arrangement, there will be a cancellation admin fee to pay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread