• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Belling range cooker

andersonsophie_89
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I brought this Belling celling range cooker just over 18 months ago from Comet.

It was hardly used, as we brought it because it was on a deal.

We dont really cook.

It was only 6 months ago I started to cook in the oven. and that is really just popping things in the oven to heat up like pizza. to be cometelely honest,

the oven was hardly used until this January, because I learnt how to cook a few dishes over the Christmas holiday at my mums.

We probably used the oven 2-4 times per week.

In march (2 months later) the fan in the smaller oven went (bottom left door with the glass window).

We called up belling and they said the cooker is out of warranty,

but it was funny that she knew staight away what was wrong with the cooker.

The engineer came and changed the fan.

Id asked what would have damaged it,

he said it was probably faulty.

And that the fan should last for years, and shouldnt have gone.

He also looked at the fan whcih he took out and said that they have changed the fan, so the new fan should last longer.

I asked how long and he said it shouldnt go, poeple normally use their oven for years and it doesnt go.

if I have used the oven when I got it, rather than waiting for over a year to do so, the fan would have gone out earlier.

This means I would be able to claim on my warranty.

We have the bigger oven on the range cooker (right door shown in the picture)

and the top left hand side of the door was not closing properly.

The engineer said that one of the magnets on the door does not close probably, so we can see the heat escape.

The engineer said there was a washer which was not installed in it.

So the magnet does not fit properly. So he has sorted that.

Belling has changed me £180 for extended warranty for 12months.

I had no choice but to pay for it, otherwise they wont come out to sort of the problem.

As it is clear that the parts is faulty and with the door they missed out a washer on the door.

Even though Comet has gone out of business, the item should have lasted longer than it has.

Especially when I spent around £900 on it.

As it is a cooker as it is meant to be used daily, even if it did get used daily, that is what it is designed for.

Let alone the few months Ive used it.

Can I Belling accountable for this and get back my £180 they charged to repair my cooker?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Oh dear, did you make this payment over the phone?

You've been had, extended warranties are absolutely useless UNLESS, they provide you with cover above and beyond your own statutory rights, which give you up to six years of protection, someone has earned themselves extra commission for flogging you this warranty.

Time for a serious complaint.

Keep everything in writing don't discuss anything over the phone, unless you can record the calls?

Get a complaint off to the head office and start their complaints procedure, see what they say, if they won't budge, there is always your local trading standards, plus the CEO of Belling.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

oh my god, I feel like an idiot. The engineer didnt leave me any report at all, or got me to sign anything. He said he works for Belling, and he will fill out the paperwork himself. I did audio record everything he said though, when he was here so that I can go back to later.

But as I didnt buy from belling directly, and the retailer has gone out of business and the warrenty has gone. Are belling legally responsible.

Yes Belling as the manufacturer are responsible if the retailer goes bust. Just summarize what has been said to you by the engineer. You could ask Belling to send you a copy. You really need to read the link posted.

oh my god, I feel like an idiot. The engineer didnt leave me any report at all, or got me to sign anything. He said he works for Belling, and he will fill out the paperwork himself. I did audio record everything he said though, when he was here so that I can go back to later.

But as I didnt buy from belling directly, and the retailer has gone out of business and the warrenty has gone. Are belling legally responsible.