Contacting Ebay UK

Marcel B.
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Although I'm not a UK citizen (I'm Dutch) I have done a lot of business through Ebay UK over the past years, mainly offering classic car parts for sale for which the market is better at your end.

All went well, 100% positive feedback, until a few months ago when a buyer claimed no to have received the item I sent off to him.

As I had no reason to doubt his honesty I trried to work out a solution, eventually sending a replacement item.

During the time the matter was pending, I contacted Ebay Holland (a bit easier for me language wise) to discuss who was to foot the bill for the loss.

Like Ebay UK they claim rather loudly on their site that they 'guarantee that the buyer gets him item or his money back'.

The people I mailed at Ebay Holland kept on denying any responsibilty, saying the matter should be solved by reasoning between buyer and seller.

Eventually I gave up as I got the same reply every time, although in different words.

What I want to do now is to contact Ebay UK, preferably someone a bit higher up the tree, and ask what is to be done.

After all, they give guarantees to the buyer, not me, I'm just trying to be helpful to the buyer.

I have tried to contact Ebay through the website, but couldn't find a proper link, I'm just been shoved about between topics that I don't think are relevant.

So, if anyone can help me with an address, email, street or what have you, I will follow this up.

I intent to start of politely, as the matter is new to them, but as said, don't know how to get in touch.

Thanks,

Marcel

Sure I will.

I don't consider myself a trouble maker, but I feel I've been brushed aside far too easy by Ebay Holland.

I think Ebay should at least bear some of the burden, the amount involved is just over GBP 100, so I am not arguing over a tenner or so.

Will post more later, as said will start off politely as the person I am going to mail to is not yet familiar with the matter.

Marcel

So what happened is that you sent an item and the recipient claimed not to receive it, yes?

Sorry but what do you expect eBay to do? They have no responsibility for that. You would need to claim from whatever courier you used to send the original item.

That's indeed what happened.

What I want is an answer from Ebay how valuable their claim is that the customer gets his item, or his money back.

That's a guarantee from their side, not mine.

Apart from that, Ebay charges commission, for inserting your item on their site + the final value fee. Fair enough.

However, they also charge commission for the postage costs, that have nothing to do with the value of the sold item. In my view, the latter suggest some kind of cover from Ebay for lost items, too.

These two facts to me are contradictory with the position of Ebay Holland, who claim that's it's just a problem that buyer and seller should solve among them.

Don't know about my chances, but willing to give it a try, as I don't consider my view of things unreasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you made a claim against your courier yet?

The liability for the loss of your part is with them.

Go get 'em!

If you do eventually get a response from ebay it will probably simply point you to the relevant part of the user agreement in which you agree with all of Ebay's T&Cs, including the refund for items not received.

Received a reply a couple of days ago from Ebay on behalf on Ms. Lawler.

No real content, but promise to check and inform me at a later time.

Meanwhile I will contact the postal services over here, and see what they have to say.

• 1 month later...

It’s been some time but here’s an update.

Unfortunately the postage services over here couldn’t / wouldn’t offer assistance, as the matter was too far in the past ( I have lost a fair bit of time communicating with Ebay Holland).

I have tried to contact Tanya Lawler, after the second attempt I got a reply from someone who appears to be her deputy, Ellis Stijns.

The answer was polite but a solution was not offered, according to Mrs Stijns it’s up to the buyer and seller to solve this among themselves. In practice this means that the payment made the buyer is blocked on Paypal, the seller can’t withdraw the amount paid.

In my case I sent the buyer a replacement item, which I happened to have (I’m not a trader), and the payment was released again.

It would be more fair if smiling Tony, whom I face on every page of Ebay, would claim that Ebay doesn’t give any guarantees, but the seller is left to clear up the mess.

If I hadn’t sent the replacement item I assume the payment would be refunded to the buyer, as the small parcel was not sent via track and trace.

The advice given by Mrs Stijns was to send all parcels via track and trace, which has two advantages for Ebay: Less chance of items getting lost in the mail (and claims from buyers), and still more profit because they can charge commission over a higher amount of postage.

Disadvange for the buyer would be higher cost (as every seller will count with higher postage which he ultimately wants the buyer to pay) and for the seller less chances of a sale, especially with the relatively low value items I sell, in which case normal postage already doubles or triples the amount the buyer has to pay for the actual item.

I have sent several messages to Ebay UK, and in most cases I had to ask twice before getting a reply. My latest mail dated the 3.rd of June is still unanswered.

Bottom line is probably that all this is legal, and that those who do not agree with the way Ebay handles this should not deal through them.

If anyone has other ideas I’d welcome them, otherwise I’ll just have to consider this matter finished and accept my loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh but ebay do guarantee the buyer their item or their money back.

What they dont tell you (the seller) is that it is funded by you.

Should a buyer claim that an item has not arrived and delivery can not be proven by on-line trackable means then ebay will, providing they paid via paypal (an ebay owned company) remove the funds from the sellers paypal account, putting it into arrears if funds not available and return the payment to the buyer.

In the case of item not as described, the same applies only it is supposed to be on return of the item although there are many, many cases of returns not being effected yet sellers made to refund.

• 2 years later...

The email address is most useful and noted with thanks.

What I need is the current registered address for eBay (UK) Limited,

I tried taking them thru MoneyClaimOnline a couple of years back but they never responded to the court papers served upon them,

I'm presuming that I provided the wrong address,

now I have two cases to serve upon them so if someone can confirm their current registered address.

So far, from Google, I have four different addresses:

eBay (UK) Ltd, Carmelite, 50 Victoria Embankment, Blackfriars, London EC4Y 0DX

Whittaker House, 2 Whittaker Avenue, Richmond, Surrey TW9 1EH

Ebay (UK) Ltd, Hotham House, 1 Heron Square, Richmond, SurreyTW9 1EJ

5 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3TW

threads 2yrs old

start a NEW THREAD

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks