Joint Tenancy & Possible Council Tax Issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3638 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently in requirement of a new joint tenant and I'm looking for some advice on a couple of questions.

The current joint tenant is in the process of moving out and my LHA rate will not cover the remaining rent. I'm struggling to find a suitable candidate to fill the position. There's one person who is willing to take up the role however, due to other personal commitments, his living arrangements will be split between properties.

The property where he is registered at the moment is his parents house, where he is also named on the council tax bill and rent book. Will the process of him being named as a joint tenant on the property have any knock on effect on his parents situation ?

Can someone be registered on a council tax bill at more than one property ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by JBrown81

Can someone be registered on a council tax bill at more than one property ?

In this situation he will be liable for the council tax payments only on his 'sole or main residence' - if this property becomes his 'sole or main residence' then he will, as joint tenant, become jointly liable for the council tax with yourself otherwise you will be solely liable for the council tax charge whilst your resident.

Thanks for your response.

I'm a little confused by the legalities of these things, especially as this is uncharted territory. The current tenancy agreement has been in operation since August 2009 and the other tenant was living here as his sole residence.

I'll contact the local council tomorrow and clarify the situation with them to ensure there will be no issues.