• Tweets

• While I am waiting for the original solicitor to ring back about the will can I ask. After my dad passed they were informed about this an released a copy of the will to me and my brother, should they have set the trust up then as they were informed of his passing?   Thanks again
    • .. A tired little trump simply run out of wind ..  for a little while ...
    • Another one. Apparently this has been hushed up for about three months. They're working through their majority quite fast with all the sackings. Not that they've done anything about Menzies yet but he sounds like a blackmail risk. Here's the original article.   Revealed: Tory MP allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’ ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 07:32:33 UTC  
    • and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses." The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses   ALSO According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”.   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
    • He asked for that one, didn't he?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Another Harlands Story

agy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello everyone.

I am in deep mess with harlands, due to automatic membership renew.

i joined Bromley Self Defence in May 2013 with my son.

Monthly fee was ridicules but because I was attacked carjacked few months earlier I would pay for

anything that will restore confidence and ease the stress.

I paid monthly £80.

anyway I have signed the contract. from what i understood i was tied up for 6 months, but

after 8 months I realized that they keep charging me.

at that time me and my son didn't attended classes anymore.

I cancelled my DD and start receiving letters from Harlands demanding monthly repaiment and admin fee.

I contacted Bromley Self Defence but received information that my contract stated that i will be renew with contract after 6 months if didn't cancel in advance and that also Harlands sent me letter

saying i have two weeks to cancel or will be renewed.

i didn't received any letter.

now my balance is £210 and I seriously don't know what to do.

please advise me, this is beyond my understanding.

Hi Agy and welcome to CAG

Have you checked through the m/ship agreement that you signed. We need to know exactly what it said about what happened at the end of the first 6 months. Let us know. If you have trouble understanding it, I will ask you to forward a copy of the agreement to me.

If we think they have taken DD payments from you that they were not entitled to, we will recommend that you seek a refund via your bank. But let us have the information we need first, so we can advise you properly.

Don't worry too much about this - we will help you sort it out and you will NOT have to pay them all that they're demanding. The gym may not be willing or able to help you in this matter. But we'll help you deal with Harlands. Their admin fees are probably not payable at all.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

hi,

thank you for your reply and reassurance.

seems I am doomed. there is note about automatic renew.

Edited by agy

What was your contracted minimum term?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Then you would be on a rolling monthly sub. As long as you cancel giving a clear months notice, you would owe nothing. i think you need one of slicks letters for this.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Yes, probably, but I still need to pay all this money plus admin fee.

I haven't been remained about renew ( they stated I was).

I know mistake on my part is not giving them a notice, surly, but I just wonder how I can reduce the payment if this possible.

No you dont have to pay what they say. Dont fall for harlands silly tricks. When slick is around, he will advise you on what to do in order to get rid of these parasites.

Hi Agy,

Can you confirm where these classes were held as I'm not sure if this is a gym, a council facility, etc.

Are you certain it is Harlands that handle admin for the m/ship. I ask this as the agreement refers to DFC or Debit Finance Collections PLC and this is not a company normally associated with Harlands.

Can you hide personal data and post a copy of the other side of the agreement. I need to see this before offering further comment.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Sorry, forgot to say, I very much doubt you will have to pay what is being requested.

hello everyone.

my mother has had nasty fall. I was looking after her for few days and with work in between I had no time to open my laptop.

i will attach the contract details.

BSD is a private business. they used to run classes in gym in bromley and keston, now they had their

facility.

Edited by agy

Hi Agy and thanks for the further doc'ts.

On the T&C's, s.9, it says the agreement will be renewed for a further term equal to the original initial period AND that you would be notified of the Renewal Period and the Renewed DD pay'ts. Did you receive such a letter.

Then on the other doc't headed Customer Contract, under the heading "Giving notice to cancel", it says payments will continue to be taken after the initial minimum unless you cancel in the month before the end of the first 6 months. It goes on to say you can cancel at any time after the initial minimum period by giving a month's notice.

So, in my opinion, you were notified the agreement and the DD pay'ts would continue after the first 6 months. And you were entitled to cancel after the first 6 months by giving a month's notice. Cancellation of your DD mandate does count as giving notice to cancel so I think you may have to make just one further pay't to end the matter.

Can you now please let me know :-

1. The date you cancelled the DD mandate.

2. Did you tell the gym or Harlands about the DD cancellation by email, letter, phone call, etc or did you NOT tell anyone.

I will then draft a letter to send Harlands,

oh, well.

I didn't received any letter, but in their statement I did and as a result of anger I didn't notice them about cancellation.

I just cancelled DD.

I can see clearly now that I scrued this big time.

stupid me.

Youre not screwed. Follow slicks advice and youll get it sorted.

Hi Agy,

You've not screwed this up and we'll help you get it sorted ! :wink:

Letter to Harlands :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your demands for payment of xxdate which I dispute.

You are aware that I cancelled my DD mandate on xxdate and this was adequate notice of cancellation (as per the High Court case of The OFT v Ashbourne Mgt Svs Ltd). Although I had finished the initial 6 months membership, I now realise I should have given you a months notice before cancelling the DD mandate.

In the circumstances, I am prepared to pay you one further month's fee of £xx.xx but I will not pay any admin fees which are unenforceable penalties.

If you confirm in writing that you will accept £xx.xx in full settlement of all monies due to you, I will pay it promptly.

If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you insist that I pay more, my offer will be withdrawn and I will pay you nothing.

Yours faithfully,

Harlands tend to argue for ages but we've found you can just ignore them after a while.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone.

just updating.

I received respond from harlands regarding my letter.

They still demanding whole amount of £290.00 by the 16th May 2014, otherwise they

will passed to in-house collection team CRS with further fees.

I your opinion , should I respond to that or not.

also, I am worried if they pass it to CRS would this affect my credit score in future?

Ignore them. They know they cant do anything and if a silly DCA gets involved you can tell them straight up that there is no debt and you will be filing formal complaints if they harass you. You can say the same to harlands. Dont worry about your credit score, i cant say ive ever heard of harlands putting a marker on it for their spurious charges.

Hi Agy,

You gave Harlands the chance to accept one further month's payment but they refused or ignored the offer, despite you saying it was limited to 14 days.

Do not worry at all about CRS. This is just Harlands wearing a different hat !! :lol:

This matter will not affect your credit rating as gym m/ship "debts" are no longer reported by the CRA's.

I suggest a brief letter to Harlands :-

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

I offered to pay a final month's fee but you chose to decline or ignore this. My offer has expired.

If you continue to demand payments, either as Harlands or CRS, I will make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.

As far as I am concerned, the matter is now closed. I reserve the right to ignore further communications or demands from you but they will be reported to Trading Standards.

Let us know if/when you you hear further from them.

• 3 weeks later...

hi again,

no reply to my last letter but instead I have one from CRS demanding and extra £104.40.

my balance is now £394.40. is scary.

Hi Agy,

My advice would be to ignore CRS for now.

However, if you feel the need to respond, you can tell CRS :-

I refer you to your demand for £394.40 which is ludicrous.

My letter to Harlands/CRS of xxdate [my draft in post #19 above] said I would report further demands to Trading Standards and this will now happen.

Your ridiculous demands will continue to be ignored.

Let them continue to add their daft charges if they want. You can just continue to ignore.

Keep us updated.

I don't feel I need to reply, but I have bad experience with debt collectors.

few years ago we sold the house, tenant of the people who bought it, somehow was using my details

(I think she must have some of my letters) to catalog shopping. It took me nearly two years to clear my name.

I getting a goosebumps seeing a red letter.

I will try to ignore it for now and will see.

many thanks slick.:-)

DCA's cannot do anything to you. Especially these muppets. Follow slicks advice and youll be fine.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone.

Unfortunately, again harlands story.

My previous posts in here from 2014. Since then I did hear from them until last Friday. I have received letter from Debt collectors stating that they add another £36 and demand the payment. They also mentioned that they were looking for me as I moved houses. Yes, I did in April 2015, but from June 2014 - April 2015 no more correspondence from them.

My, question, again as mention in previous posts to ignore it. Should I ignore it?

I the last post Muldy mentioned that they managed to get CCJ against her. I am worried.

Appreciate any advice,

thank you

agy