• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dubai debt issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All

I am a property owner who also lost my job in Dubai in 2007.

The sad news is despite this being UAE international debt Coyle White Devine has filed a second charge again my title register although it doesn't tell me how much it is...

Any advice on how to deal with this please?

Bankrupty? Thete is not a huge amount of equity in my house...

Any one else had second charges please?

Thanks for the feedback..

.Is there anyway they can force me to go bankrupt?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

layercake, if they have a charging order presumably already have a CCJ. The CCJ should tell you what the amount is. If they have a CCJ for more than £750 they could try to go down the bankruptcy route.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

My God they have accumalated this debt thousands of times. Minimum made up of 100,000 aed which is £16,000! Original debt in 2007 was about £7,000.

How can they get away with this? Do the uk courts even know about uae prisons?

Does anyone know what the next step is regarding this?

Anyone else had these charges?

Thanks

Hi, I've moved you into your own thread to make it easier for those trying to help you.

Can you let us know exactly what has been registered against your property? Is it just a restriction or is it an actual charging order?

If its a charging order, you need to urgently work out what happened with the CCJ.

The most likely scenario is that court papers were sent to you (perhaps at an old address) and obtained a default CCJ because you didn't file a Defence.

The CCJ will tell you how much the debt is.

If you want to contest the debt you need to be making an application to set aside that CCJ urgently.

Your first task would be to get in touch with the relevant court and get a copy of the full court file.

In the meantime you can also request a copy of the CCJ and claim form from their solicitors.

Contact the County Court and get a copy of the CCJ documents. There will be a bunch of documents you have never seen. The charging order is just a method of enforcing the CCJ - you would need to set aside the underlying CCJ to get anywhere.

Thanks. I will do as soon as I return to the UK.

Has anyone else had a charging order for Dubai Debt?

How is Dubai debt recognised on my UK property?

It is definitely and Interim Charging Order Dartford County Court...Dated 31/01/2013 but I only just saw it today...Is it too late to get it set aside?

It is Dubai Debt of chris sake!

Any more advise would be helpful.

A Dubai debt can be pursued through the English legal system if this is allowed by your contract with the bank. Under English law, your presence in the jurisdiction is enough for the English courts to have jurisdiction even over foreign debts. Once a claim has been made, if it is not defended a CCJ will be issued. Once a CCJ has been issued it can be enforced by turning it into a charging order.

As per my previous post you need to get the CCJ set aside, not on the interim charging order. In order to get it set aside you need to act promptly upon becoming aware of the CCJ and you will to tell the court what your proposed Defence to the claim will be.

Thanks for this...

Has anyone in situation tried to set aside a ccj based on Dubai debt? I would really like to know the processes taken as well as an example if possible?

One more question...Is bankruptcy possible?

Does it stastically happen often?

Is it still possible to ask for a copy of Emirates banks T&C's that state this is enforcable in the UK?

Anyone?

There are many posts where people have had default judgments set aside. You can use the search function or browse around this forum and the Financial Legal Issues forum. The process is to complete N244 with an attached witness statement explaining when you become aware of the judgment, why it should be set aside and what your proposed defence to the proceedings would be.

If the CCJ is for more than £750 then they may pursue a bankruptcy, but probably not likely if they already have a charging order. The point is that once they have a CCJ that is binding - it is not necessary for them to look behind the CCJ, the CCJ is a binding court order for you to pay a specified sum of money and the background circumstances no longer matter. That is why it is important to have the CCJ set aside if you are going to contest this.

You can ask them for a copy of the T&Cs. If the CCJ was set aside and the case then proceeds as a defended case, they would have to provide the T&Cs.

You mentioned returning to UK.

I notice that you've posted at a time which is very early morning in UK.

You're not in UAE or other GCC country right now, are you?

You are obviously aware that debt is a criminal offence there and you would be taking a huge risk, even simply to transit an airport such as Doha.

No I left Dubai in 2007...

Right now I am in Romania and had no idea about CWD actions so in May when I return to London I will request for a copy of the CCJ...And then a set aside.

Any template vwould be helpful..thanks

I do have another question.

What would happen if I managed to get this "set aside" successfully in the courts, what would CWD's next step be?

I read UAE debt can be chased upto 15 years...

Thanks...

There would most likely be a hearing for the set aside. If you managed to get the CCJ set aside, you would be ordered to file a Defence and the case would then proceed as a defended case. This would ultimately lead to another hearing. All of this would obviously cause you practical difficulties if you are living in Romania but the CCJ is secured against your English property. You'll have to weigh up whether the cost of this is worth it against the amount of the CCJ.

Not at all. There have been many threads on CAG about people being pursued for Dubai debts. I imagine it is quite common given the number of people who left Dubai with debt after losing their jobs during the great crash.

Sure thing but I did not fancy prison. :wink:

UAE international debt is now secured again my house as an interim charging order...

If CWD for example forced me to bankruptcy in the UK court, how far down the pecking order would they be over a UK unsecured credit card provider?

A charging order effectively secures the debt against the property.

The answer to your question depends on whether the house is sold as part of the bankruptcy. If it is sold, and there is money left after the first charge holder has ben paid, CWD would be entitled to that money ahead of other unsecured creditors. If the house is not sold or if there is nothing left after the first charge holder has been paid, then they would be in the same position as other secured creditors

That answer surprises me because CWD claim to be solicitors not debt collectors acting for uae banks.

I will follow your instructions exactly when I get back.

Anyone we know on here who has successfully set aside a CWD ccj or charging order from Dubai debt specifically that you know?

Thanks again....

Yes, that is correct. From looking at CWD's website they are a firm of solicitors. I expect that they filed the interim charging order on behalf of their client. Presumably the client is the person named as having the benefit of the charging order.

I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully set aside a CWD CCJ. There will be a few who set aside CCJs relating to a Dubai debt. The fact that it is a Dubai debt does not really matter for the purposes of a set aside. The basic principles are the same as for any debt ... you must apply promptly after finding out about the CCJ, you will need to explain why you did not file a defence when papers were first issued and you will need to explain your proposed defence to the claim. As mentioned before the priority is for you to get the CCJ documents from the court.

No worries. No, those letters don't work and will get you slaughtered in court. There is so much wrong with them I don't know where to start. You can't get someone to pay you £5,000 in damages because they called you "Mr / Mrs". Also most of the advice given in the thread you linked is wrong, unfortunately.

What you need to do is get a copy of all the court documents, and then file a N244 form asking to set aside the judgment with an attached witness statement fully explaining the circumstances and your proposed defence to the claim.

I'm not sure how you would deal with this practically from Romania. You might be able to get away with a telephone hearing rather than a live hearing for the set aside application but can't assume this. If the case then advances through the courts as a defended claim there would be another hearing and that is likely to be a live hearing.

You could use a solicitor though obviously would have to pay for that. This may be wise particularly if the amount is over 10k as in this situation you may be able to recover some of your legal costs.

CWD have definitely placed a charging order on my property from Dubai. The Land Registry placed as EmiratesNBD. I think it would have been added by default without a judgement as I missed the original letters because I am in Europe now.

I will arrange for it to be set aside and will update you.

Any one else had one of these registered?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks