• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays wont Do CPA against CFO **Resolved after threatening with FCA**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I took out a loan with CFO years ago but had problems paying them back.

After a while, they stopped trying to take payments but,

a year ago after quite some time, they decided to take money from me again of £120.

Ive had nothing taken from them since till 2 days ago where they took £32.

and this morning they took £86 and £28 and tried to take a further £72

but the £72 failed as I didn't have enough money left for them to take

Just called the bank.

I asked about a charge back but the person I was speaking about,

kinda ignored my question and she said that,

they will write to CFO and ask them to stop further payments.

As I told her, I never authorized the payments.

She will also send me a letter and I have to fill it in and they will investigate the £32

but I have to wait till next week before I can ask them to investigate the £86 and £28

and AGAIN, they will send me letters to fill in

She then told me to also speak to CFO,

I told her, I can not find a website for them.

She then said she has a phone number for them and put me through to them.

However, the girl who answered the phone said

"good morning loan bob or good morning loan boob"

i just said oh sorry and hanged up

I read on here that, the bank can do an instant charge back,

so why do i have to wait to get letters through my door before i can start appealing the amounts?

Thanks

Your bank is 100% wrong with what they said. You need to speak to a manager, not an undertrained telephone rep who ha trouble remembering what day it is.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Oh gosh, I feel nervous about calling the bank and asking for a manager but, I will give it a bash. last year when they took that random payment, the bank told me they couldnt do anything and I just accepted it. However this time, I am not just going to sit back, after reading the helpful information on here. Thanks

Why would you feel nervous? It is YOUR Money. YOU are fully covered by regulation and law.

Whats happening is they are using a CPA to strip your account. You need to report both the bank and the PDL to the regulators as well.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?336569-How-to-remove-a-lender-s-continuous-payment-authority

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?395493-Been-refused-cpa-cancellation-since-nov-2009-Go-get-your-money-back-now!!

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Just called the bank. I asked for a manager and the guy said "we are unable to allow you to speak to a manager on the phone. the guy said the only way to speak to a manager is by going into a branch. He hen asked, why do I want to speak to a manager

I told him that I want to do an instant charge back relating to my call from an hour ago. He said, they have already done a charge back for me and went on to say " a charge back is by us sending you a letter and for you to fill it in and we will claim the money back for you"

It doesnt sound very instant to me if I have to wait about a week or so?

Nothing to do with him why you need to speak to a manager. Read those links i gave up, especially the first documents in the first post of the first link.

Also, its time to name and shame your bank. It's not santander or halifax is it?

Well, theyre well known for breaching regulation and ignoring all rules anyway. Have a good read of those links and documents, familiarise yourself with CPA's and your rights, and go to your bank and DEMAND they give you the money back. As the links and documents say, they have no right at all to demand you speak to the lender first. The lender is bound to say no, and the bank will be complicit in what is heading towards theft.

You also need to get the CPA on the account cancelled, as well as your debit card. If i were in your shoes as well, i would take this opportunity to see barclays for what they really are, and find a new bank to be with.

Received a letter from the bank today (well its in 2 bits) unfortunately, my scanner does not work!

Th customer dispute disclaimer asks me to sign the bottom if i did not authorize capital finance one and also that i dont know who they, to take money from me. if the transaction is established to be fraudulent, the police may be involved

the first piece of paper, says that once they recieve my reply, and after some investigation, they will reply to me with in 14 working days to let me know, how the query is going. they state that, they have till June 28 to raise this dispute through the visa chargeback scheme. they also say that, if more than 1 transaction has been taking by CFO (3 in my case) they will write to me for each transaction and I will have to do the same thing each time.

Is there a quicker way to get this done???

P.S I might not be the best speller but, the spelling and grammar on my 2 bits of paper is atrocious!

The chargeback can be done immediately. And investigated later. You really should have quoted the text in the links i posted earlier.

Make sure to point where it clearly says

How quickly must my

bank refund me for an

unauthorised transaction?

The bank must make the refund

immediately unless it has evidence

that one of the above reasons applies.

Your bank may ask you to answer

some questions and fill out a form

confirming what has happened, but it

cannot delay your refund while it waits

for you to return the form. If the bank has

evidence that one of the above reasons

for refusing a refund applies, it may

investigate before making a refund but

must look into it as quickly as possible.

If your bank rejects your claim for a

refund it should explain why.

If the transaction was on a credit

card, the refund may not happen

immediately. But the card issuer

cannot charge interest or ask for

repayment of the amount unless it can

prove you are liable to pay

The above reasons meaning:

Why won’t my bank

refund me?

Your bank may only refuse a refund

for an unauthorised transaction if:

● it can prove you authorised the

transaction – though your bank

cannot simply say that use of your

password, card and PIN proves you

authorised a payment; or

● it can prove you are at fault because

you acted fraudulently, or because

you deliberately, or with gross

negligence, failed to protect the

details of your card, PIN or password

in a way that allowed the transaction.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know_your_rights_guide.pdf page 17

basically your bank doesnt have a leg to stand on.

SUCCESS! (Had to fight) "Still worried"

I was in bed all day yesterday as I was feeling really sick

today, I went to the bank.

The boy and girl behind the desk (looked about 16 years old each) spoke to them.

I explained my situation and they both told me that,

I would not get a single penny till the investigation was over and done with.

I quoted consumeractiongroup and the FSA but they just kept telling me the same crap.

The boy even had the nerve to tell me that,

if I had called them last year when CFO took my money,

they could have gave me the money straight away but,

because I did nothing last time and the company keeps taking money,

then I will just have to wait .

It made no sense and was rude,

they then told me that,

they are simply cashiers and that the people on the credit line would be able to help me more

(just like the hotline people told me last week that, the people in the branch can help more)

I went and used the telephone in the branch.

Spoke to a guy and I mentioned the FSA,

and he said

"I have no idea where you are getting this false information from"

I told him that,

I spoke with people on consumeractiongroup and I was told that I should get my money instantly under the chargeback scheme.

He then said to me

"Read the letter from the bank properly, its quite simply to understand"

I said oh well, I guess the FSA are lying then

(at this point, I am not an aggressive person but I was on the verge of slamming the phone down as that was terrible)

At this point, the bank manager was there and she came straight over because she heard the conversation and she knew the guy was rude to me and she apoligized and said that was no way to speak to me.

she asked me what was wrong and she told me

(you are correct, you are meant to get the chargeback money instantly)

she phoned up a woman, and they got me my money back.

Success!!

it will be put in when the bank closes she said.

she also said that, if CFO claims i did authorize the transactions,

the bank would take the money away from me

do you think CFO will do this?

thanks

CFO always contest it. However, go and open another account with another bank. Send your curren t bank a CPA cancellation letter. if they allow anything out, then thats their problem. I take it you have a complete papertrail to verify everything that has happened so far?

Oh great

the bank refunded me the money last night and then CFO took a couple payments from me so I have no money once again. I just called the bank and I told them that I was told a block was put on CFO so why are they still taking money?

The guy said that, there is a block in place but, in 48 hours when the pending amounts go though, to call them back and I will get my money

But, it just sounds to me that, every time barclays refunds me money, cfo will just take it back again?

The person you spoke to is wrong. You need to go as high up as possible and get the regulators involved now.

The agency that monitors and regulates all credit companies. Right now that will be the OFT, FOS. In a few weeks, it will be the FSA.

Called the bank on Saturday, spoke with a very helpful girl and she did a temporary reversal thing where I was giving my money back. She did say though that, if I proceed with it, the bank might try and put me in arrears with them. I said, it does not matter as I have no money and she did sympathize with me and got me my money back

But yes, I just called my bank balance just now and now I am £115 in arrears.

In a bit of a pickle. As my ESA payment is due next monday BUT, I always get it on the Saturday. So when I get paid this Saturday, the bank will take that £115. Ive tried opening up bank accounts in the past but with no success

Is there anything I can do? Should I phone the social and ask for their advice? I think they do the payments a week beforehand so it might already be on its way to the bank

Thanks

Well, your bank is completely wrong and out of order here. I would start getting full complaints into the CEO of the bank.

Meanwhile try a few banks and tell them you want a complete basic bank account. No frills. Then have your money paid into there. If your current bank decides to put charges or an overdraft on your current account, then thats their issue, as they are liable.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been an idiot once again!

I was on the verge of getting my money paid into the post office but, I never went ahead as I thought all this business with my bank and CFO was cleared up!

The bank sent me a letter for 2 charges of £8o which I had to fill in and say I never authorized them. I sent it back and everything seemed fine. I got my ESA payment today and £80 was taken off!!

I called the bank and the guy said "yes we sent you a form to fill in" I said "yes, and I did that and sent it back" he then said "ok we have since sent you a letter regarding this matter" I told him I recieved nothing and he said that, the letter was printed up on the 15th so I should have it by next wednesday!!

He said the letter explains everything and tells me what to do next. So I said to him, so will I be getting the money back. and this was his actual response "Yes, it looks as if you will get the money back by the merchant but you need to contact them about this"

So in other words, I assume CFO contested these 2 charges and Barclays wont give me the money. I will need to "phone" CFO who no doubt, will NOT refund this £80

I better call the post office and get my money paid into there cos, I bet CFO starts taking more money from my account.

Meanwhile, get a full complaint to barclays CEO and to the FCA.

if you find transactions on your bank account for a company you never authorized i.e £200 and £300,

the bank says ok and gives you the £500 back say a couple days later.

What happens then?

Can the company then say,

a few weeks later

tell the bank you did authorize them

and the bank takes the £500 back from you?

If so, does the bank tell you beforehand?