• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PC Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

can anyone help with this?

pc switches on, but doesn't even go to boot. i think it might be a video hardware problem (onboard nvidia chipset) as screen went awash then pc ceased. reset didn't work. no boot since. no beep codes. no boot screen. can't get into bios. is win 7.

am looking up things, but if anyone has any suggestions in meantime?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ford

It's all the Liverpool stickers on your PC, it's causing interference. Switch the PC off, turn it back on, press F8 before the splash, does it give you the 'repair option'.

This will load the menu.

hi

can anyone help with this?

pc switches on, but doesn't even go to boot. i think it might be a video hardware problem (onboard nvidia chipset) as screen went awash then pc ceased. reset didn't work. no boot since. no beep codes. no boot screen. can't get into bios. is win 7.

am looking up things, but if anyone has any suggestions in meantime?

Give up and go down the pub. lol..

Hi Ford

It's all the Liverpool stickers on your PC, it's causing interference. Switch the PC off, turn it back on, press F8 before the splash, does it give you the 'repair option'.

:) if there were lfc stickers on it it should be firing on all cylinders :)

no, no screen when switched on, doesn't even post. f8, del, bios, etc doesn't work. am googlying for info, but suspect mobo video failure! any suggestions?

It is powering up?

:) if there were lfc stickers on it it should be firing on all cylinders :)

no, no screen when switched on, doesn't even post. f8, del, bios, etc doesn't work. am googlying for info, but suspect mobo failure! any suggestions?

Have you got Windows 7 disks.

yes, will try that. cd drive seems to be working.

While your down there, you might get the answer and you may get ****ed as well. Two for the price if one that way..

:) doubt that i'll get the answer down my local! not re the pc anyway :)

Are you getting anything on the screen at all? Any POST message / splash screen / manufacturers logo?

I'm assuming not, so things to try

1st remove all power to the unit, (if a laptop, remove the battery and the charger, Desktop PC just remove the power cable from the back) then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and then plug in and try again

2nd, this does sound like something essential is not working. A good clean up of the insides may help. Unplug everything as above and open the unit and remove any dust.

3rd remove and reseat the graphics card and memory. If you have more than 1 memory stick installed, try them singularly and try all memory slots.

hope that helps.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Just a suggestion.

When was the last time that you cleaned the inside of your PC as it accumulates dust so it may need a good spring clean. (always ensure to earth yourself when clean inside PC)

When doing this you can also check that all the connections inside the PC are secure and have not come loose which can happen.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

its an onboard video card

fit a graphics card and try again

if that's no go, then whip the memory strips out and wipe down the gold edge with your fingers then stick it back in.

no post etc etc is usually cpu or graphics or memory issue.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Is this a PC or Laptop ?

I have windows 7 on a laptop.

It does not seem to like a laptop with a low battery and even if you plug into power adaptor,

it does not always want to fire up.

You get the same type of situation you are describing.

What I then worked out, was that I needed to get the battery power up to a decent level, before it would switch on.

You then have to press the on button and do the f8 bit as others explain.

If this still does not work.

If the power button is lit, but nothing is working, hold down the on button for about 8 seconds.

Your laptop should then be shut down.

Then leave alone for a few minutes.

Switch on, press f8. Keep trying.

Sometimes you get a black/blue screen with nothing displaying.

Keep the laptop on and you may hear the start up noise that windows is starting.

Leave it alone for a few minutes. Windows will have started, but it is just not displaying anything you can see.

Then hold down the on button for 8 seconds to force a shut down.

Leave system alone for a few minutes.

Then turn on, press f8. I have also used control/alt/delete on start up before

and that also seems to do something. It causes a reboot.

I have changed my battery since and never let it get to a very low power level

. I now don't seem to have any problems starting the laptop.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Does your monitor have an LED light...most do when powering up amber first then green (once the VGA kicks in) if its retuning back to amber then its as per DX,s post above but failing that it may be the PSU not feeding the Card correctly or the card is done...new Graphics Card or PSU or both.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

hi

thanks guys for looking in.

its odd. yesterday after desktop pc froze, tried off/on repeatedly, it would only power up, nothing else,

no post, no boot screen, no logo/splash/messages, no f8 or f12, no del to get into bios,

nothing on screen. couldn't use disc as no boot menu.

so, at the end of trying just switched off (held down button) and left it.

can't remember for sure whether the monitor led stayed amber! will look out for that.

anyway, just now switched it on and it worked!!

it posted and came up with start win normally or troubleshoot starting.

only error in event viewer was 'timeout reached re shellHWDetection service'.

am guessing the 'cold' boot had an effect,

and there is a hardware issue somewhere (temporary or something starting to fail),

because if it was only a software issue then it would've still posted up?

but, it then froze again after being left on its own for abit (maybe into standby).

flashing green monitor light, black screen. but this time the reset button on pc worked

and it booted up again ok, still working atm.

spec is onboard graphics one dvi out (in use) and one vga out, 2 crucial ddr2 memory sticks,

budget 550 psu (5yrs old), sata hard drive and cd/dvd writer, athlon le1640 2.6.

its an oldish pc, but not too old, a bit dusty inside but not too bad. nothing clogged.

am expecting it to happen again.

will have to have a further look into it later or tomorrow now. clean it, reseat memory, cables,

chkdk, av, back up! etc

thanks again guys for all your replies.

let windows update succeeed

if you've not noticed

there are two recent swathes of win 7 updates

both mine and my mrs lappy have just done the same.

after the second round of updates

its now back to normal on both.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi

win update is set to manual, so it wasn't going through updates when it ceased. will check available updates later.

but isn't it likely to be a hardware issue? seeing as it wouldn't even start the bios post

hi

win update is set to manual, so it wasn't going through updates when it ceased. will check available updates later.

but isn't it likely to be a hardware issue? seeing as it wouldn't even start the bios post

I reckon it is a software issue affecting drivers. dx is corect that some windows 7 updates have caused problems. There has been an update in the last few days and my laptop has been more stable.

You should make sure all the various drivers on your system are up to date.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I reckon it is a software issue affecting drivers. dx is corect that some windows 7 updates have caused problems. There has been an update in the last few days and my laptop has been more stable.

You should make sure all the various drivers on your system are up to date.

cheers. will check the win update site. i do check regularly, and mobo, graphics drivers from manufacturers sites. so i think they're up to date.

re yr earlier post #18, is a desktop pc, but i might change the power supply anyway, the rest of the hardware is slightly newer.

re doing a backup; anyone know off hand if the seagate discwizard drive image/clone tool will work with an hitachi sata drive? and/or is the built in win 7 one ok

did the win update. not much there, only explorer cumulative security update, a couple of sec updates, and a general update, all updated. already have the service pack installed. drivers are up to date.

did a brief googly re that error re shellhwdetection, seems to suggest poss a hardware issue.

will try the win 7 back up, and re maintenance/checks etc suggested. and might change the psu. see what happens.

this is the first problem with this (diy) PC, its done well up to now. :)

cheers guys