• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CFO claiming I owe differing amounts help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently struggling with CFO, I got into a mess a while back and have gone through step change for advice. The only problem I have had is with CFO who just don't want to listen I have been making payments by standing order regardless but they keep saying I have made no contact which I have.

I am in the process of drafting a complaint to them as the other day one of their staff informed me that even though I have moved banks they can track down my new account and take money! This would be fraud and is incorrect but the main problem I have had is actually getting them to state how much I owe I have emails with an amount which appears to be the initial loan and one month interest but then one which is over 500 more! Both state they are the outstanding balance.

Just loosing the will to live with them at the moment I have asked them not to call and to communicate in writing but they have now starting ringing my work. I would be more than happy to speak to them if their staff were not so aggressive and attempt to intimidate you.

Any advice on how to go forward would be appreciated and who else should I send the complaint to other than the FOS. Thanks in advance.

Stop phoning them. CFO are one of the worst PDL's and will say and do anything to get money. For example, their CFO resolve trick where they tell you to apply, you do so, you get turned down, and they completely clean out your bank account.

You are making payments in according with your correspondance to them and your financial situation so ANY action they take would be vexatious.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks renegadeimp.:smile:

They are horrendous I could understand their attitude if I was refusing to pay. They have been calling me and I told them i would not speak to the on the phone and the woman nearly lost it starting ranting about me refusing to discuss things, tried to point out i was not refusing but would communicate in writing. I have since downloaded a call recorder on my phone just in case they call and emailed asking them to stop calling and communicate through email or letter.

I am in the process of drafting my complaint but its lengthy and as yet they are ignoring my request for a SOA. I have previously made the mistake of phoning them but what they tell is rubbish untrue and just scare tactics. Wish me luck dealing with them lol think I will need it.

he woman nearly lost it starting ranting about me refusing to discuss things,

See what i mean. it is hilarious, but also concering that they act like this. If it were me, i would record the call, remain calm when talking to them, but make sure to be firm and not abusive. Then when they call again, simply replay it back over the phone and say " either accept my offer or i'll see you in court"

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Its soooo hard to stay calm but intend to record the call if they do ring again. When the guy I spoke to told me they have ways of getting my new details I just kept asking how they can do this and eventually he just I don't know it's the finance department's job! I did say i would report them to the police if they did this just wish i could have recorded that one. Out of interest do you know who else I should send the copy of my complaint to.

If you really want a laugh check out their customer charter on their site, I read it earlier now that was hilarious :crazy:

Theyre lying. Like i said, CFO will say and do ANYTHING to get you to pay. Thats why you need to stop talking to them on the phone, get them to put all this junk in writing, then laugh at them, as you are paying what you owe despite the claptrap theyre spewing.

Regarding reporting, FCA and OFT. If youve filed a formal complaint with CFO, then you need to wait for 8 weeks to elapse or for them to give you a final response, then you can get the ombudsman involved. The ombudsman will charge CFO £500 just for taking the case on. Thats why we always, ALWAYS tell people that if they are being harassed by a creditor, you MUST get the complaints rolling.

going to send my complaint next week. Taking my time doing it as i don't want it to be a big rant but a well constructed statement of fact. Will update how i get on. Did not know that about the ombudseman so its in their interest to take the complaint seriously although doubt they will. But i will definitely be submitting one. Thank you.

If you need advice with the complaint, feel free to post it up with personal info deleted, and we can advise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again I am finally getting round to my complaint after a hectic few weeks. I did request a statement of account and copy of the loan agreement and I've heard nothing at all. then today I get the email below.

Subject: Repayment Options Available

Hi

Agreement

Your agreed repayment is due on the 04/04/2014, on this date we will attempt to collect your principal loan amount of £??? plus your interest amount of £???.

Our loans are tailored to be short term solutions, to short term money needs - which is why we always recommend the full balance be paid on your agreed due date.

Other Options

If you are unable to make the full payment you may be eligible to defer the loan amount and pay the interest only; however this is not advised as a long term option and we recommend that the balance be paid as soon as possible. If you wish to defer the interest will be reapplied for the following due date. Please also note that the option to defer is only available subject to further affordability checks and underwriting from a designated team at CFO Lending – If you would like to request a deferral please click here if your request is not accepted we will confirm by text within 48hrs.

If your circumstances have recently changed and you are struggling with making the repayment on your due date, please contact us as soon as possible, the sooner we know, the easier it will be for us to work with you to find a solution.

Please feel free to take a look at our frequently asked questions or call us on 02080451380 if you require any further information.

Kind regards,

This is the second email like this, the amount in this one is more than the last but my query is it implies it is a new loan there was no agreement to pay on this date are they breaching anything, especially the fact they are offering a deferral? They are aware of my situation. I intend to include this in the complaint which is getting longer by the day! Any help greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so finally done my first draft of the letter, kind of glad I waited as today i received two emails from CFO LOANS offering me loans to pay off the loans! Any advice on my complaint would be appreciated, it needs a bit of tweeking and tidying up but sure you'll get the gist.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am at a loss to understand what is going on with my account with your company. I wrote to as soon as I got into financial difficulties explaining that I had spoken with CCCS and offering payment, this letter was sent on a number of occasions and ignored by yourselves. Your customer charter states you will assist customers in difficulty and i quote "If your circumstances change for the worse you will be treated fairly and respectfully" I have never found this to be the case, you were not interested at all. I set up a payment to you via standing order even though you said you would not accept this as you wanted£30 a month at least which was more than i could afford, and continued to pay by standing order until CFO decided to change their banking details but failed to notify me as a customer, this was around April last year, as soon as I was made aware of this by my bank I obtained your new details, made an immediate payment and continued with my standing order. However since then I have had nothing but problems with CFO.

Firstly throughout all your correspondence every time the amount is different, the correspondence is not clear, you have emailed a number of times recently and the emails are worded as if they relate to new account for example "Your agreed repayment is due on the 05/03/2014, on this date we will attempt to collect your principal loan amount of £242.63 plus your interest amount of £87.35." I had the same email for a different amount on ( CHECK DATE) These dates are inaccurate please forward me copies of these new agreements you believe you have! these emails are then followed by emails saying you were unable to take the money. The amount in the first is considerably different to what you state in your letter of 28th of March 2014 where you claim my outstanding balance is £581.37.

When I first received these emails I contacted your CFO via telephone on 27th February 2014. I was put through to a male employee in collection who was nothing short of aggressive and rude, I asked what bank details you have as I have changed accounts and was informed by him you have ways of obtaining peoples new bank details and taking money owed!. I find this very concerning, I was extremely upset and shocked by the threat and I would suggest to you that if you were to obtain my new bank details that it would be done so by deception/fraudulently, is it really appropriate for your staff to be threatening customers in this way (I remind you again of your customer charter). I would like to know why this employee is allowed the threaten and intimidate customers and also if you do “have ways” that are legal please explain these as I feel as a customer I have a right to know this information. I will no longer communicate with you by telephone and would ask you remove ALL my telephone numbers from your system. My reason for this request is that you have decided to start calling my place of work, without attempting to call my mobile first, I believe you are doing this to try and cause me embarrassment. I do not believe there is any point in speaking with your staff on the telephone as they are nothing but rude and aggressive and continually play the blame game which does not benefit anyone. I am trying to get my house in order and have been paying you for some time I do not deserve to be spoken to so rudely, this is not isolated to one member of staff!

Further more I requested from you a statement of account, I have not received this, I do not think the letter you sent to me of 28th March 2014, would constitute as a true statement of account once again I would ask that you provide this.

In that letter you also said that you would agree the repayment of £******. Please explain to my why you then proceeded to email claiming a new agreed date, that you had attempted to take payment and failed etc etc.

Moving on I was then even more stunned to receive an emails from CFO Loans offering me a FURTHER LOAN! You are aware I am in financial difficulty so why are you offering me this I think it is disgraceful, or is this just the way you have of obtaining my new details!

I am so utterly confused by your behaviour! Why are you claiming differing amounts in every single piece of correspondence. Also in your letter of 28th March 2014 you detail various charges, please explain exactly what these charges are for. I would ask again please provide a copy of my original agreement and full detailed accurate statement of account.

I look forward to hearing your response to my complaint within the next 8 weeks.

Head the letter FORMAL COMPLAINT. Put it in nice big bold letters so they cant say it wasnt a complaint.

Thats how CFO operate. They are the very definition of irresponsible lenders.

FCA. OFT are no more.

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens! I posted my letter on this week once I managed to get the emails sorted. Sent special recorded. Royal Mail attempted delivery at 9.54 and left a card. The letter has now been returned to me and should be waiting when I get home. It was sent to their registered office. Royal Mail say it could be they are not at that addeess or they have refused it. Where do I go from here any advice.

Send it by normal mail but get free proof of posting. CFo and other PDL's seem to refuse any recorded mail they are not expecting, as they know it could be a formal complaint or LBA.

Spoken to the FOS who have set the ball rolling with the complaint and said I can resend the letter if I wish but they have 8 weeks from now. I will keep you updated. In the meantime I got a new email today demanding money for a missed payment! !!!!

See what i mean? They think they can ignore you and get away with it. Good job you're showing them that they cant do that.

Yep fos are writing to them. Cant believe they reject post like that surely they know that the reason for it being returned is marked on it and if it is not their registered address they're going to be in bother for not updating it! Thanks for the help so far. Will update when I hear anymore.

You are dealing with PDL's now. They dont exactly follow the law. mainly because they know they are dealing with people who dont know their rights and are desperate for cash, so if they intimidate them enough, then the person will never complain.

Quick update - CFO Lending have changed their registered office, I have now forwarded the complaint to this address, another point if you go to their website it now is PAYDAY FIRST!.

Today I received a letter from CFO stating I haven't made the payment which they agreed with me (my banks says otherwise it was made last Monday by SO) and they may issue a default (they have already done this) then I got an email again claiming they tried to take payment blah blah. Debating whether to write re the payment and default and ask that this be added to the complaint. Be glad when this nightmare is over!

UPDATE;

Not a lot to report but CFO have acknowledged my complaint be emailing the following:-

Dear Customer,

I can confirm that our customer relations department has attempted to contact you today in order to discuss your Financial Ombudsman Service complaint received.

The business aim to resolve your complaint to a satisfactory resolution, please can you contact us to discuss your complaint resolution today?

You may call us on: 020 8045 1380, alternatively you may email us on:[email protected].

Please call us to get a suitable resolution today!

Kind Regards

Ayisha

Customer Relations

CFO Lending

020 8045 1380 - Direct Extension - 4006

I replied to them stating I have not been contacted as they claim, i will not discuss my complaint over the telephone and look forward to their formal response. Also received another email from CFO Loans subject being "on my recent loan application"!!! Not made an application with anyone so who knows what they're on about, I have informed them of this and that i'll be adding this to the complaint.