Council tax office refuse to change bill addressees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3674 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Not been on here in a while but wanted to run something past people who may know better than me.

Myself and partner moved into a rental property recently and the letting agents decided we are not grown up enough to let all the utilities and council know. However they have presented us both as joint names on all these accounts.

My gripe is that since my OH has had a poor past credit history I wanted to be the only liable person named on all the accounts - they after all are paid by me anyway.

Upon asking the council to amend the addressee on the bill to just myself they declined and told me it was a legal requirement. I cannot find anywhere that this is actually stated in law.

They are even refusing to remove her from the bill despite both of us emailing them and telling them that she had now moved out into a friends house in a different council area.

Am I to just accept this and pretend my ex is still living here, what if I did a bunk and decided not to pay for whatever reason then she would become legally liable even tho shes not lived here in the billing period?

I cannot believe that these self appointed clowns can deny myself the right to have the bill amended to reflect her no longer living here. Not only that, I will be in a position to apply for a mortgage in a few months time and now run the risk of being financially linked to her on the credit reference sites thus potentially costing me thousands over the course of a 25year mortgage due to inflated percentage increase from perceived risk. Not acceptable in my opinion.

Is there anybody here that can shed any light on this please

Many thanks.

ph1978

Edited by PH1978

Upon asking the council to amend the addressee on the bill to just myself they declined and told me it was a legal requirement. I cannot find anywhere that this is actually stated in law.

It's a legal requirement under section 6 and 9 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 (as amended).

They are even refusing to remove her from the bill despite both of us emailing them and telling them that she had now moved out into a friends house in a different council area.

I can see why the council are doubtful she has moved if you've already tried to get name removed because you didn't want it on the demand notice. You would need to demonstrate that she moved on a permanent basis and there is no intention for her to return to the property.