Students & housing benefit

Lorna2010
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help me with a query. I am 59, working and a housing association tenant and pay full rent, council tax etc. However, I am seriously thinking of asking for a career break for 3 years to take on a BSc degree course ( I know this sounds daft at my age but I have had to wait a long time).

I have checked for student finance and can get that which is roughly £7000 and as a student will not pay council tax but I cannot get an answer about the rent and whether I can apply for housing benefit. All the websites state that unless you meet a specific criteria, a student cannot apply for housing benefit. But I am the student and the tenant?? I have been to CAB and they can't find an answer either.

The only income I will have will be a very small pension of £84 pm and my student loan/grant which equates to £583 per month for first two installments and £466 for last installment, totalling £667 pm to live on. My rent is currently £468 per month.

Can anyone help me with this one, I don't want to miss this opportunity but if I have to pay rent from this then it won't be possible.

Most people are not eligible to claim HB while they are full time students in higher education. Exceptions include single parents and people in receipt of disability benefits. Unfortunately many people therefore are unable to study without working alongside their degree. Tbf, apart from some vocational courses which really are full time, most degrees allow enough time alongside the course to work at least part time. My son is working full time and studying full time atm. He does have age on his side though, I know I would struggle with that.

• Haha 1

Thanks for reply abv123def, that seems to be the hurdle I keep coming up against. I would just like to fulfil a dream before I meet my maker but its looking like that won't be possible. I do come under disability for breast cancer but am in remission and don't really qualify for anything else. I have worked since I was 15 years old and would love to do this but not meant to be I guess :|

I think you can now get help with fees for open university - which would enable you to work and study part time. The degree would take longer, but it would make it possible.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Unfortunately the BSc I want to take is not available in the Open University. (BSc Animal Welfare & Behaviour)

Sorry, and it sounds like a great course - so sad you might not be able to take it.

But be aware that most degrees only have about 8 hours of directed learning. Lots of students manage to work part time while doing the degree, fitting the work around the course - this is what I had to do.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop