style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i wonder if someone could help.

My parents bought a house last year, it has a nearly new garage conversion, they only bought the house because it had all the paper work and completion cerificate from local building control saying it meets building regs.

However 6 months in and there conversion which is a bedroom is seriously leaking water.

They have had 3 builders around and all say dont know how this was signed off!! The floor sits lower than outside, no membrane on floor just existing garage floor with underlay carpet underneath floorboards.

My question is can they sue the council for this?

The local building control manager did go around there and have a look and all he kept saying was this is poor. But wouldnt say they would put it right.

Its not going to be cheap but why should they have to pay.

Thankyou for reading and hopefully helping.

There are quite a few other things wrong with it but didnt want to waffle on!! If you need any other info just ask. There bedroom is like a swimming pool. The water comes in from side of building.

They want to get it sorted but nobody seems to want to help.

Hi I'm a builder. Normaly the garage "floor" is 6" below the house floor. The house floor is 6" above DPC (damp proof course), Hence the problem

What else is wrong with it?

Can you put up photos of inside and out? Does the drive run down towards the house?

Whatever is wrong it's going to be very difficult to claim from the council building control dpt.

Did you have a full survey done?

If so they usually give a guarantee that their report is accurate.

I have a friend in a similar situation atm and he's been just running around in circle with no joy.

It has been converted into bedroom it sits 5cm lower than outside, there is no insulation on floor just standard garage floor. Insulation in wall has gaps all across bottom. Drive slopes slightly downwards. U have to step upwards to ensuite and to get out of bedroom. Cant post photos as dont know how to plus using my mobile as dont have comp at mo.

Surely u dont put a blue sheet on top of floor and put underlay carpet on top then floor boards.

Do u think they have a case?

No didnt have a full survey, but i have been told by a couple of builders that with all floorboards down and buying house in summer a full survey would not have found problem.

The water is coming from side of conversion from floor.

Well bin them because thats total tosh. Any qualified surveyour would have found that fault, unless you employed "Steve Wonder assisted by Ray Charles" If that went over the top of your head..... Ask your Mum and Dad...

Well bin them because thats total tosh. Any qualified surveyour would have found that fault, unless you employed "Steve Wonder assisted by Ray Charles" If that went over the top of your head..... Ask your Mum and Dad...

Agree.

A job as bad as you are describing should be easily spotted even by the diy builder.

Pictures are essential to comment further