Council Tax Discounts- mentally impaired, carers, disabled **Success**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I only recently discovered this, as no-one from the various organisations we deal with ever mentioned it, so I hope it helps someone else. It will have been mentioned before on CAG, but this may act as a reminder.

I act as carer for my mother in law who is pretty badly disabled and gets higher rates of DLA. Last year she was diagnosed with dementia, officially, although we knew there were problems before that. There are 3 people in the house.

I have now submitted a signed statement from her GP confirming her lack of mental capabilities and my role as a carer.

This gives further information:

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/moneyandlegal/finance/Pages/council-tax-discounts.aspx

She also requires space in the house for wheelchair to get about, zimmer on occasions, etc and has a specially adapted bathroom. We have made one room downstairs her bedroom so we can't use it. There might be the possibility of a lower Council Tax banding than we are currently on. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Hopefully someone else might benefit and remember, back dated claims can be made.

There are 3 of us in the household.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now been granted a 25% discount on my Council Tax bill. My Council have agreed to backdate the claim to the date of dementia diagnosis. So, it means a handy sum paid back to us a a cheaper bill reduced by at least 25% next year.

We have also applied for our home to be downgraded in Council Tax banding. This is because our downstairs dining room is used as a bedroom by my MIL and the downstairs bathroom has been adapted to her needs. They are due to visit shortly. I do not anticipate a problem with this side of our application.

does the other adult in property also provide care to your mother-in-law? if so, you may be able to get 50% discount instead of 25%

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thanks for that advice, I will pursue it. My wife tends to take over from me at nights. I am bipolar and clinically depressed so my medication knocks me out at night and she cares for her mum from dinner time onwards until I make breakfast and the routine continues.

Many thanks, I will update to let folk know how we get on.

• 3 months later...

Glad you managed to get it sorted, so have they reduced you to 50% charge on lower band?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.