Can I be forced onto a "Work Programme" in my circumstances?

Wolvojay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys

First of all I think I should fill you in on the full story, I would like answers from people who know the answer, please no guess work as that might end up getting me nowhere.

So recently my Jobcentre adviser changed due to my old adviser going off to manage a different age group, I went in there this morning (having applied for 23 jobs in the last fortnight) and she asked me how my job search was going, I said "yes not bad, I've applied for 23 jobs so hoping to get lucky on one of those" and she replied with "yes, because you will be due to go off to a work programme soon".

Now, I do not receive Jobseekers allowance due to my partner working full time I am entitled to no benefits at all apart from my NI stamp for a pension which I will probably never see. So my question is, can I be forced to attend one of these "work programmes" if I am not claiming Jobseekers allowance?

The reason I ask is that a few years ago I did have to attend one of these and let me tell you it gave me absolutely no help at all and I think I may be forced to sign off if this is the case.

On another note, it would be helpful if someone could tell me if I am entitled to ask for a change of adviser? The reason being that I have been going there for 10 months now and have seen just about every adviser in the building, none of which have ever had a problem with my job search as I usually manage between 15 and 25 jobs every 2 weeks and they can see that I am genuinely trying to get myself back into work.

My new adviser however is a completely different story and no matter what I do or how many jobs I apply for nothing seems good enough for her and she does not possess any ounce of a helpful attitude, rather just giving me a hard time when I'm doing exactly what I should be doing.

Thanks

Jay

From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/264161/wp-pg-chapter-2.pdf

Mandatory JSA participants (1)

(1) Note: An exception to mandatory participation are those claimants in receipt of JSA Credits Only. These claimants will be given the option of accessing the Work Programme and taking part on an entirely voluntary basis from their eligible entry point. They do not have a separate Opportunity/Claimant Group or Payment Group (PG) on PRaP.

You'll find the claimant groups detailed in Annex A - If your adviser tells you that participation is mandatory, refer her (or him) to that document. Your assessment of the current work programme is probably not far off the truth. Most of the contributors that have suffered the full two years feel their time has been wasted and have suffered as a result.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Mr. P, thank you so much for the great answer, I will have this printed off and highlight that section in the event that she brings this up again. I can honeslty say that all we did at this supposed work programme was look through newspapers that were 3 weeks old and spent the rest of the day being treated like children and wandering around the local town centre. They are absolutely of no use to anyone apart from those looking to attend unpaid work trials and are a huge waste of taxpayers money.

Thanks again

A quick search here and elsewhere on the internet will give you a good idea about the level of support you can expect - Inane CV writing sessions, supervised job searches, lectures about personal hygiene and correct use of toilet paper. Shelf stacking for the likes of Tesco or Poundland under the guise of "work experience", and of course, regular meetings with an "adviser" who will tell you that it is your fault for being unemployed and you are not doing enough to find work.

So much for the claim that this new Work Programme would provide personalised and tailored support.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.