Default Issue - Lost Account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a default on my credit file that I feel has been on more than 6 years. I recently contacted Experian who got the bank in question to confirm the details. When they responded the details were altered from a further 4 years outstanding on the default to just 1 year, before it is removed. I was then advised if I wanted any further information to contact XYZ Bank.

I recently wrote to my bank asking for a copy of the original default notice, sent recorded delivery and enclosed a postal order for £1 to cover their expenses. I provided my full name, DOB, and full address in order for them to obtain my account information.

Now, here's the part I'm lost at. I received a letter back today stating

"Unfortunately, we've been unable to find any accounts using the information you provided

Please resend your request with the details of a valid 8 digit account number with a 6 digit sort code or a 16 digit credit card number or any previous addresses to locate the account"

I have no record of the original credit card number or account number, I have lived at my current address the entire period my credit card ran, what can I do to move this forward?

Is this my responsibility to prove who I am and find my account for them or is it their responsibility to provide me with a copy of the default notice, and if they are unable to do so, do they have to remove it?

P.S. - First post, so apologies if this is the wrong area or a repost.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I think you need to send the following first to get the correct data before you can tackle the Credit Reference Agencies.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy,

That's what I am trying to get the data from the company in question, but they cannot find anything. I do not have my account number or any references available other than my name and address, they have asked me to confirm my account number but I cannot. I enclosed the postal order and a similar letter but they cannot find anything. Where do I go from here?

Thanks

Well the only way to get the CRA data corrected is by the Creditor and if they dont know then its going to be diffuicult.

On your CRAs is there any reference to the account?

No I use Experian and there isn't anything. This is why I ask, is it my responsibility to prove my account with the account number, or if they cannot find the account is that their problem, and ultimately if they cannot provide me with the information I requested are in fact required to remove said default, as they cannot prove that the dates are correct? I am sure it should be off by now which is the entire problem, if I cannot get clarification I don't feel I should be penalised. This is why I need the answer on who the onus falls onto.

Thanks

Right this is what I would do...send a copy of their response to all the CRA,s and request an amendment....being that is has now passed its 6 years anniversary and you request it be removed.

They will then contact the creditor and investigate the dispute...as the creditor is none the wiser and cant confirm either it should be removed.

Try that see how you go.

This is where it gets tricky, I started with this approach, my credit reference agency got in touch with the credit card company and told them this, the date was incorrect already on the CRA, and this was reduced from around 4 years still outstanding to 1 year outstanding, however I still believe this to be incorrect, which is why I requested a copy of the information from the credit card company. I am failing at obtaining this. Any other advice? I've already fired an email off to experian asking their advice.

Only one option left then :-

http://ico.org.uk/

Click the make a complaint tab.