• Tweets

• No, do the section 75 chargeback to your credit card provider.
    • See what dx thinks but it seems to me that sending a photo of your own pass isn't relevant to what happened. Let's wait and see what he says. HB
    • 1st letter image.pdf1st letter 2nd page.pdf
    • Many thanks for the replies and advice!   I what to send this email to the Starbucks CEO and the area manager. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   [email protected] [email protected]   Re: MET Parking PNC at your Starbucks Southgate site   Dear Ms Rayner, / Dear Heather Christie,   I have received a Notice to Keeper regarding a Parking Charge Notice of £100 for the driver parking in the Southgate Park Car Park, otherwise infamously known as the Stanstead Starbucks/McDonalds car park(s).   Issued by: MET Parking Services Ltd Parking Charge Notice Number: XXXXXXXXX Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX Date of Contravention: XX.XX.XXXX Time: XX:XX - XX:XX   After a little research it apears that the driver is not alone in being caught in what is commonly described as a scam, and has featured in the national press and on the mainstream television.   It is a shame that the reputation of Starbucks is being tarnished by this, with your customers leaving the lowest possible reviews on Trustpilot and Trip Advisor at this location, and to be associated with what on the face of it appears to be a doubious and predatory car park management company.   In this instance, during the early hours of the morning the driver required a coffee and parked up outside Starbucks with the intention of purchasing one from yourselves. Unfortunately, you were closed so the driver walked to McDonalds next door and ordered a coffee, and for this I have received the Notice to Keeper.   It is claimed that the car park is two separate car parks (Starbucks/McDonalds). However, there is no barrier or road markings to identity a boundary, and the signage in the car park(s) and outside your property is ambiguous, as such the terms would most likely be deemed unfair and unenforcable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   I understand that Starbucks-Euro Garages neither operate or benefit from the charges imposed by MET Parking. However, MET Parking is your client.   Additionally, I understand that the charge amount of £100 had previously been upheld in court due to a ‘legitimate interest in making sure that a car park was run as efficiently as possible to benefit other drivers as well as the local stores, keeping cars from overstaying’.   However, this is not applicable when the shop or store is closed (as was the case here), as there is no legitimate interest. Therefore, the amount demanded is a penalty and is punitive, again contravening the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   As the driver’s intention of the visit was genuine, I would be grateful if you could please instruct your client to cancel this Notice to Keeper/Parking Charge Notice.   Kind regards
    • I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary. The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part. The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change. I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Suspected benefit fraud

Concerned83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter asking me to attend an interview under caution in relation to a benefit fraud.

Alledgedly living with someone as husband and wife and fraudently claiming income support and housing benefit. I am a single mother to 5 children and do not live with anyone.

The childrens father does visit my home regularly, almost every day. He is here to see his children and helps me get them to bed at night because first and foremost he wants to be a good father and secondly because 2 of our 5 children have disabilities and it is incredibly hard for me to deal with, I have no family nearby to help so he is my only source of help at all.

He makes no financial contribution to my home apart from paying child maintainence as he was instructed to do so by the CSA.

The only thing that may we may be doing wrong, but I am not sure hence asking for advice, is that he pays my rent directly from his account to my landlord every month. The majority of this sum is actually he mainitainence, the remaining sum I then give to him cash so he is not paying more than he should be and my rent is covered.

We do this because I am not always able to get into town to deposit the money into my bank account, by him paying it direct I have one less thing to worry about and find time to do (which would ultimately result in me paying my rent late).

He does visit our home a lot as I have said, one of the children with a disability only sleeps a few hours at night and never sleeps before midnight. He would help me bath the children and get them into bed, he would then let me go to bed for a few hours and get some sleep. Once our child falls asleep he would wake me to tell me that he is leaving, sometimes this could be 3am.

I understand that to someone outside the home this may look like he lives with me but all the bills in my home are in my name and paid by me (aside from the rent which I have explained), he contributes nothing except the CSA money.

I would appreciate some help in telling me how the investigation is likely to go once I have given them my explanations. Thanks

Edited by honeybee13
Paragraphs.

I have received a letter asking me to attend an interview under caution in relation to a benefit fraud.

Alledgedly living with someone as husband and wife and fraudently claiming income support and housing benefit. I am a single mother to 5 children and do not live with anyone.

The childrens father does visit my home regularly, almost every day. He is here to see his children and helps me get them to bed at night because first and foremost he wants to be a good father and secondly because 2 of our 5 children have disabilities and it is incredibly hard for me to deal with, I have no family nearby to help so he is my only source of help at all.

He makes no financial contribution to my home apart from paying child maintenance as he was instructed to do so by the CSA.

The only thing that may we may be doing wrong, but I am not sure hence asking for advice, is that he pays my rent directly from his account to my landlord every month. The majority of this sum is actually he mainitainence, the remaining sum I then give to him cash so he is not paying more than he should be and my rent is covered.

We do this because I am not always able to get into town to deposit the money into my bank account, by him paying it direct I have one less thing to worry about and find time to do (which would ultimately result in me paying my rent late).

He does visit our home a lot as I have said, one of the children with a disability only sleeps a few hours at night and never sleeps before midnight. He would help me bath the children and get them into bed, he would then let me go to bed for a few hours and get some sleep. Once our child falls asleep he would wake me to tell me that he is leaving, sometimes this could be 3am.

I understand that to someone outside the home this may look like he lives with me but all the bills in my home are in my name and paid by me (aside from the rent which I have explained), he contributes nothing except the CSA money.

I would appreciate some help in telling me how the investigation is likely to go once I have given them my explanations. Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG.

In the end it's up to the council/DWP to prove any wrong doing !

Your housing and income support benefit claims are income related,plus it depend on any saving a claimant has ?

Have you declared the fact that the father is paying you child's maintenance to HB/DWP ?

The child's father is paying the rent on your behalf to your LL !

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

a couple of questions they may ask...

does he have a main address elsewhere? e.g. does he pay rent/mortgage/council tax at another address?

are all the children his?

were any of the children born whilst you have been claiming as a single parent?

has he ever applied for credit at your address?

does he have any post come to your address?

has he used your address with his employer?

if he drives, is his licence or car registered at your address? does he park his car at your address?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Yes he has a main address elsewhere that he pays rent, bills on. Its a shared apartment (another reason why he comes to mine so much, he can't have the kids overnight or for very long at his place because of his flat mate)

All the children are his and none of them born while I was claiming as single.

He has never applied for credit at my address to the best of my knowledge.

No post at my address at all, except one from the CSA about a year ago that was sent in error. I telephoned them straight away and it was confirmed that someone was a bit bone idle when doing their job and the letter was sent in error.

He hasn't used my address with his employer and his car or license isn't registered here.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

In the end it's up to the council/DWP to prove any wrong doing !

Your housing and income support benefit claims are income related,plus it depend on any saving a claimant has ?

Have you declared the fact that the father is paying you child's maintenance to HB/DWP ?

The child's father is paying the rent on your behalf to your LL !

BIB, is that ok though? Am I doing something wrong by doing this?

Yes he has a main address elsewhere that he pays rent, bills on. Its a shared apartment (another reason why he comes to mine so much, he can't have the kids overnight or for very long at his place because of his flat mate)

All the children are his and none of them born while I was claiming as single.

He has never applied for credit at my address to the best of my knowledge.

No post at my address at all, except one from the CSA about a year ago that was sent in error. I telephoned them straight away and it was confirmed that someone was a bit bone idle when doing their job and the letter was sent in error.

He hasn't used my address with his employer and his car or license isn't registered here.

BIB, is that ok though? Am I doing something wrong by doing this?

To be honest I don't know but it does sound a bit odd how your rent is paid by child father,I mean No offense to you and I could be wrong ...

If you getting Housing benefit paid into your bank account,then set up a Direct debit or Standing order paid into your LL bank account !

May I Ask are you declaring child's maintenance payment to Housing benefit and Income support departments ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

No offense taken, I appreciate your help and advice.

I will do that from now on, will have this interview on Monday week and then do it, I don't want them to think I am trying to hide something if I do it beforehand if that makes sense.

I didn't know I had to declare it? The guy on the phone at CSA said any income from maintainence was not taken into consideration. Is this wrong?

Yes, the arrangement is slightly odd. I mean, you can see how it looks to an investigator - he apparently pays her rent for her. OP, can you document this arrangement - for example with bank statements, letters from the CSA showing how much maintenance he has to pay, that sort of thing?

Regarding HB and IS departments, it is usually best to declare anything you're unsure of to them but at least as far as IS goes, maintenance has been fully disregarded income for a couple of years now.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

No offense taken, I appreciate your help and advice.

I will do that from now on, will have this interview on Monday week and then do it, I don't want them to think I am trying to hide something if I do it beforehand if that makes sense.

I didn't know I had to declare it? The guy on the phone at CSA said any income from maintainence was not taken into consideration. Is this wrong?

As antone has just posted

You have to declare All Income,plus any Savings to housing benefits and Income support departments when making a claim and continue doing so !

Keep us posted on CAG

Good Luck ...

Child maintenance needs to be declared always as income to both the LA and to the DWP but is not taken in to account when working out income related benefits.

It is very odd that he is paying your rent for you, when it is so easy to set up a direct debit or standing order. However, hopefully when you explain what is happening any investigation will be dropped especially as you will have evidence of how much he needs to give you as ordered by the CSA and that money won't be going in to your account.

However to stop this sort of thing happening again I would change the arrangement so that he pays you the child maintenance and you pay all your bills yourself. If that goes in and out of your bank account each month, that is a clear 'paper' trail for future evidence.

While I say I hope they believe you, there is the possibility that without enough evidence, that he has been supporting you financially and they may deem there to be an overpayment. Let's hope not.

Im sure he would get the bank statements no problem for me, I have the letter from the CSA in my 'important drawer' so can show it.

If IS is disregarded then that would just leave HB, if this is the case then I am definitely in the wrong. A genuine error (by me not knowing) it may have been but an error none the less.

I can totally understand how it looks to an outsider. It;s hard explaining all the reasons why but in a nutshell 99% of my life is taken over by the boys needs and extra care, the other children and the general running of a home (and I know everyone has to do this stuff im just trying to explain a little) that anything that can be done to make my life a tiny bit easier my ex would do it.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I appreciate you taking the time.

Concerned, child maintenance is not taken into account for either HB or IS, nor is CTC, that money is for the child's welfare.

Technically H.Mills could be receiving £10,000 a month in child maintenance for her daughter B and still claim means tested benefits for herself and their housing. This is something perhaps future governments may look at but at the moment they don't.

You have muddied the waters by losing the evidence of what is maintenance and what isn't, so try your best to explain and see what happens and now just make things clearer for the future.

Thanks ABC, I know now I have been incredibly stupid, I can show the CSA letter to prove the amount of it, the rest of it (that I give him to cover the rent above maintenance) will be on my bank statements as cash being lifted but thats it. Once this interview is sorted (like I say I don't want to do it until I have the interview in case they think I am trying to defraud them) I will get him to transfer the maintenance and set up a DD for the rent to be paid from my account.

Thank you again.