• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cash4phones - creditors meeting - 13th Jan Please retweet - https://cag.tw/tf7

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps "in on it" is the wrong vernacular, but there are things CB should have done that they have not done...like let you all know about the meeting before the meeting took place! Furthermore, it didn't take admin (who is doing this for free, MM is getting paid) long to work out that AOE are dodgy, so why didn't MM perform the same cursory search before the meeting?

So yeah, not saying they're crooked, but something is smelling fishy.

I never had an email from capital books or the liquidator saying that there is a meeting on 13th of Jan. how can they set the meeting without letting the creditors know

I only found out about the meeting by chance by googling. You can contact capital

Books it's not too late. More people do it the better.

I only found out about the meeting because a member here e-mailed me about it. I have also since received the e-mail containing the liquidators report and am glad to see my name as a creditor but what is strange and as is for most of the creditors on the list there are no contact details. That might explain why so few were informed about the meeting but how can that be ? Surely before holding the meeting the liquidators would have took stock and collated contact details of creditors and not just a persons name. Looking at the list I consider myself quite fortunate some were owed several hundred and a couple 4 figures. We can all say what we like, we all know this was a con and not just a business falling on hard times. There is far too much circumstantial evidence floating about. We all got caught out by this business and why ? because they over inflated the phones values in comparison to the competition knowing we would be tempted by it. Even at the meeting some guy pretending he cant speak English yet has a facebook page littered with comments in English and how can an interpreter answer questions without even interpreting anything.

I just got an email from capital books replying to my question .

Abdullah

We advertised the notice of the meeting in London Gazette and also a national newspaper 'The Independent' a week before the meeting to invite all the creditors and many creditors did contact us. We also gave an interview with the Guardian Newspaper on 9 January 2014 which was published on the internet.

Regards

Capital Books (UK) Limited

did they know we ganna read that specific newspaper on that day ?

Hi all,

If anybody still wishes to form part of a creditor committee (so we can investigate Yemonia's directors and force CB to do a proper job), can you please contact Alan Kelly at: [redacted] as a matter of urgency. We need between 3 and 5 members and time is running out. Between me and him we have 2, but I can't get hold of Apriumben so we just need one more person to respond.

Alan works for a major accountancy firm and handles insolvency on a regular basis, but it would be good if you have a bit of spare time, have an ability to write coherent emails, live in London to make attending meetings easier, and have a decent knowledge of what's going on. If you're one of the people that keeps emailing me asking how to get your money back or don't know what Yemonia is, I'd say that (unfortunately) this isn't a job for you.

EDIT: This is now sorted, no need to contact Alan

Edited by jonbancroft1988
Matter closed

Hi all,

If anybody still wishes to form part of a creditor committee (so we can investigate Yemonia's directors and force CB to do a proper job), can you please contact Alan Kelly at: [email protected] or 0207 865 2353 as a matter of urgency. We need between 3 and 5 members and time is running out. Between me and him we have 2, but I can't get hold of Apriumben so we just need one more person to respond.

Alan works for a major accountancy firm and handles insolvency on a regular basis, but it would be good if you have a bit of spare time, have an ability to write coherent emails, live in London to make attending meetings easier, and have a decent knowledge of what's going on. If you're one of the people that keeps emailing me asking how to get your money back or don't know what Yemonia is, I'd say that (unfortunately) this isn't a job for you.

Admin: Alan approved this message.

Sorry guys been very busy but vaguely back in the land of the living - I'm still available - will try giving Alan a call

Does anyone have an address for C4P as i put in a claim at the small claims court and they have been returned to me as apparently the addressee has "gone away" ......... and therefore the info has been returned to me as un-served. In order to be re-served i need an amended defendant address if anyone can help please.....:-x

Their new registered address is the address of Capital Books - their liquidators.

Their address is in this thread somewhere. If you have evidence of the debt then you are probably wasting you money by bringing a claim. Best to contact the liquidators and get a debt form. Also contact Apriumben who is setting up a liquidation committee and he needs more people to take part.

You can still join the committee. I am sure that it will be helpful. Contact Apriumben

Hi All,

I located and joined the forum by chance today,having been caught by the Cash4phones [problem] myself. I have to say it was prettyshocking and saddening to see how many other people have been affected by this**** and I am keen to help out in any way possible (i.e. committee etc). Pleasenote I am based in Berkshire and do not drive, so may be restricted somewhat.

By way of background, my particular case is asfollows:

On 30 October 2013, Cash4phones took receipt of myBlackberry Bold Touch 9900 following a quotation of £98.50. After my phonepassed all required 'testing', my account indicated that payment was ‘pending’which I naively assumed meant that they had accepted the phone and would thenmake payment to me. I didn't receive any reduced quotes etc. in relation to this non existant wear and tear I know many people have experienced, they simply just didn't pay me.

I repeatedly requested payment of the long overdueamount of £98.50 using the ‘Online Contact Form’ on the C4p website without anyresponse. Their website did not include any form of contact telephone number toenable me to contact them in this way. I eventually located a telephone numberon this forum, which after ringing many times without response or the linesimply dying on me, almost led to me giving up.

I have been through the same process I am sure manyof you have so far i.e. MCOL claim and judgement issued, letter returnedstating C4p no longer exist etc. It was around this time that I found moreinformation on this forum regarding the creditors meeting and laughableattempts at advertising it in a London newspaper (where I don't live) and onlyone of several national newspapers, reducing the odds even further of me seeingthe advert.

Anyway, I am currently at the stage where I have sent theproof of debt form and accompanying documents to Capital Books and I am waitingto hear back from them. How is everyone else getting on? What are your thoughtson Capital Books in general? Does anyone have any updates on timelines for their investigations to continue?

I'll be sure to check back here for further updates and obviously provide any of my own in due course.

In the meantime, best of luck and do let me know how I can help out.

EDIT - Apologies for the font size - I tried to reduce it but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Edited by Brockie_UK
Reduce font size - sorry!

• 1 year later...

just got this via mail.....

Dear Sir/ Madam

I was appointed as the Liquidator of the above Company on 13 January 2014 by a resolution of the Company’s members. My appointment was confirmed at the subsequent meeting of the Company’s creditors.

The administration of the winding up is now complete and I am obliged to convene final meetings of the Company’s members and creditors pursuant to Section 106 of the Insolvency Act 1986 to report on the conduct of the winding up.

Copies of the notice summoning the meetings, the final report on the winding up and a form of proxy are enclosed.

The meeting is purely formal and no information other than the report will be presented.

I regret to advise you that no dividend will be payable to any class of creditors as no funds have been realised during my administration.

If you are entitled to attend and vote at the meeting you may appoint someone to act on your behalf by using the form of proxy, which should indicate your voting instructions, identify the proxy holder and be signed.

Please contact me if you have any queries.

Kind regards

Rejina

For and On Behalf Of

Mansoor Mubarik ACA FCCA FABRP

Liquidator

CAPITAL BOOKS

Chartered Accountants and Licenced Insolvency Practitioners

London Maidstone

122 Hither Green Lane 66 Earl Street

Hither Green Maidstone

London Kent

SE13 6QA ME14 1PS

T: 0203 475 2211 T: 01622 754 927

F: 01622 321 000 F: 01622 321 000

E: [email protected]

W: http://www.capital-books.co.uk

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Capital Books may monitor and read all e-mails as it is presumed that they are sent or received in connection with the business of Capital Books or for business use only. Capital Books also monitors e-mails for security reasons to ensure that no unauthorised disclosure of Capital Book's confidential information is passed via the e-mail system.

This email and any attachments are confidential. It is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this e-mail is unauthorised. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your computer. The contents of any attachment to this e-mail may contain viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While Capital Books has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment.

The firm is authorised by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Mansoor Mubarik is authorised to act as an Insolvency Practitioner in the UK by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.

Capital Books is a trading name of Capital Books (UK) Limited a England & Wales registered company (Company Number 07057648). Registered Office Address: 103 Scotney Gardens, St Peters Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME16 0GT.

Please do not print this e-mail unless it is very important.

Unfortunately, this was to be expected. The customer is always at the bottom of the money pile as the administrators, the Government and any companies get the pot first.

The only thing to do now is to put this whole sorry saga behind you and if tempted to do the same in the future, print this thread off and staple it to your forehead.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE