Mud on the road - not sure what to do

frugal-mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi we live in a rural area and have done so for nearly 20 years. The local farmer is carrying out some type of construction work and has been moving huge quantities of earth from his farm in giant skip trailers for the last week, there have been dozens of them every day.

Living in a rural area we are used to a bit of muck and mud on the roads but this has been beyond belief. The raod was thick with about 4 inches of wet and sticky mud and is very dangerous. My car looks like I have been rally driving there is a thick coating of mud on my car - I cant even see the numberplate!

He has been over the road with some type of rotating sweeper brush but all that has done is move the mud onto the grass verge. He even reversed his tractor up to my hedge to sweep the mud off the road My hedge is plastered with mud. I cried as it looks terrible. I did take some pictures as it was so bad.

Since then it has now rained and the mud is being washed back on to the road. I dont know what to do as its a small community and I dont want to cause trouble. I know farmers have a hard job but it really is terrible.

If you speak to your local village council,they will approach the farmer on your behalf and you can ask to be kept anonymous.

I am glad you have a complete understanding of rural life,as new incomers in general do not

Regards FS

• 2 weeks later...

Can I say that involving the community council is unfair on the farmer and the council. Theres nothing worse than to find out your being discussed behind your back by your neighbours.

The farmer does have a legal responsibility to keep the road clear of excess debris. Perhaps speak to him about it first. If not contact your local police as it is causing a danger to road users.

In many instances people do not know the name of the farmer but the council will have the details which is why it should be reported to the council as soon as possible to avoid anyone having an accident at the spot. Besides it is not your responsible to go chasing the farmer who should know better.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...