Early settlement figures

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought my car on finance 2 years ago, and have currently paid exactly half the 4 year term. The amount borrowed was £4600, which should mean i owe £2300 plus whatever early payment penalties i am charged. (shouldn't it?)

I asked for a settlement figure today, and nearly fell through the floor when i was told the figure to pay it off 2 years early was...£3600! They said all they would take off for early payment was £400. I've got some money coming shortly but Now there's no way i'm paying up 2 years early just to save next to nothing.

I have already paid £4000, so that makes a total of £7600, £3000 in interest in 2 years!

I asked for a settlement figure a year ago and was told £4500, which would have made the total paid around £6500 - over £1000 less than the amount they want now.

I can't find the original agreement, obviously i was aware that I was paying a lot more interest than normal as I have a ccj from around 4 years ago

So my question is, can they charge what they like for early settlement, or do I start arguing with them?

Thanks for any help.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

I can't find the original agreement, obviously i was aware that I was paying a lot more interest than normal as I have a ccj from around 4 years ago

I would suggest that you give them another call and ask them to send you a copy of your contract with your signature on it and the T&C's

I've found the original agreement, all it says about early payment is to contact them for a settlement figure. I've actually recieved the letter today confirming the amount - £3,996 left to pay over 24 months, settlement figure now of £3,545, saving me a massive ( i dont think) £451 for paying 2 years early!

This is what it says on the letter, apart from the figures: "The amount of rebate has been calculated having regard to the consumer credit (rebate on early settlement) regulations 1983."

As I originally borrowed £4600 and have paid half, that means they are charging me £1,245 for settling early - total figure paid would be £7541, nearly £3000 interest on a £4600 loan over 2 years! I have settled a loan and a HP agreement early before, and expected a figure of around £2500.

I had another thought today - am I right in thinking that I can return the car with no further obligation now I have paid half? As I can get the same car but the V6 model for around £3000, saving me over £500 and getting me a better car into the bargain!

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

I've found the original agreement, all it says about early payment is to contact them for a settlement figure. I've actually recieved the letter today confirming the amount - £3,996 left to pay over 24 months, settlement figure now of £3,545, saving me a massive ( i dont think) £451 for paying 2 years early!

This is what it says on the letter, apart from the figures: "The amount of rebate has been calculated having regard to the consumer credit (rebate on early settlement) regulations 1983."

As I originally borrowed £4600 and have paid half, that means they are charging me £1,245 for settling early - total figure paid would be £7541, nearly £3000 interest on a £4600 loan over 2 years! I have settled a loan and a HP agreement early before, and expected a figure of around £2500.

I had another thought today - am I right in thinking that I can return the car with no further obligation now I have paid half? As I can get the same car but the V6 model for around £3000, saving me over £500 and getting me a better car into the bargain!

Is this a hire purchse agreement? If so you should be able to return the car once:-

1 Half the price of the hp agreement has been paid. 2 Any arrears are paid. 3 all insurance and other extras are paid.

All the relevent figures should be on the agreement.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Yes it is a HP agreement. Half has been paid, no arrears, but i did take out gap insurance which was £600. Are they going to tell me i haven't actually paid anything off that yet and ask for £600 and the car?

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks