• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

account closed then overdrawn

Startkey&Clutch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife had an account with lloydstsb which she closed several months ago with a £0 balance, she surrendered her bank cards and thought that was that. Today she's had a letter saying her account is overdrawn by £265.57!!!

It seems there is a £250 overdraft and they want £15.57 to get back within the overdraft limit.

The letter goes on to threaten all sorts so she called the number on the letter giving the reference number only to be told that there is no such account, they went on to say that someone would call back to discuss the contents of the letter, needless to say no one rang back.

Is it at all possible that they can claim this money from her?

NEVER EVER RING THESE PEOPLE!

Stay OFF the phone!

Who sent the letter? LTSB?

Forget the contents of their puerile missives, they dream up the contents in their little fantasy world they live in.

Keep everything in writing ONLY.

Start by entering the banks complaints procedure first, and check your wifes credit file and see if their is anything on there.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi

It is not unknown for an account to be closed and then a payment or a charge re-opens it but in my opinion, Lloyds should have written to her or carried on sending statements. How on earth is she supposed to know otherwise.

I would be complaining and getting the detail of how this account was re-opened.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Yes its TSB headed letter.

When she called she was told that the account number given on the letter does not exist so it hasn't been reopened according to that. This is the only letter or contact she has had from them since closing her account.

The letter says she will be unable to withdraw money until she pays the £15.57p directly to her branch.

If the account doesn't exist then how on earth can she pay anything into it to use??

Ignore them and lodge that complaint, clearly they have a gremlin in the system and she owes nothing!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 3 weeks later...

Shes had another letter today threatening all sorts because she hasnt been in touch. Anyway she called up again to be told this time that her account wasnt closed properly and some payments went out and because of this, charges were added to her balance. They also said they intend to recover the amount outstanding. So it seems she surrendered her card, cheque book etc and closed the account with a £0 balance, someone didnt do their job properly so British Gas managed to debit some money and now theyre saying shes responsible and added charges for being overdrawn. They stated they will pass it to a debt collector before she put the phone down on them.

The letter says they will reduce the balance if she agrees a payment plan.

Any advise plz?

Yep, the advice is stay OFF the phone.

NEVER talk to them over the phone, whatever they want to say can be committed in writing, UNLESS of course you're recording the calls?

Pass it to a DCA all they like, they still won't get paid.

Get onto their complaints procedure and exhaust it, then escalate it to the FOS for investigation.

Keep everything in writing,

never discuss this over the phone,

log all calls and silly letters they might send,

and complain to the enth degree, this is their own making.

Also keep an eye on your credit file, if any adverse data is placed on their then you may be able ot sue them for defamation.

Thanks BB, as long as we are sure its their fault and we don't have to pay it then she will have the strength to fight it.

The only problem as I can see is she has no proof that she closed the account, just simply returned everything.

I will send in a complaint and see what happens.

Just having a think here.

I think BCOBS should come into play here.

The account was closed then a payment was made from the closed account re-opening it.

Banks have a duty under BCOBS to treat customers fairly so by re-opening tha account and the account incurring charges without notice instead of refusing the DD which would have been fairer, the bank may be in breach of BCOBS.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Yes good point SF, IMO it is definitely the bank at fault here, no grey area, they have messed up, they get to carry the can.

I sent a letter to their collections dept who are sending these letters, it was quite sarcastic but did say "complaint" at the top, I also sent in an online complaint because I couldn't find the address to write to. The online form said they will telephone but they haven't. I told her if they did to ask if it was to say this has all been cancelled and if not then to tell them she's not talking to them and put it in writing then hang up.

Today she's had another demand which is exactly the same letter but the amount has gone up, interest I assume.

Deal with this in writing ONLY, no phone calls nothing.

They say they will phone purely to fob you off and say things they would never say were it committed in writing.

Lloyds TSB, Customer Services, BX1 1LT. this is the address I found for LTSB, however I am not sure if this is correct regarding the recent breaking up of this bank?

I sent a letter to that address recorded delivery today, am also thinking of calling the FOS as their site says they will contact them on your behalf and make them aware. It seems to me theyre just ignoring us yet find it acceptable to keeps sending the threats and putting the amount owed up.

She had a letter from TSB today basically saying tough!

They also said it's not their intention to threaten customers, so they threatened solicitors, court, debt collectors etc but they want to "treat customers fairly".

The letter said their records don't show that they've made a mistake and that we didn't say which branch she closed the account so they cant check, they didn't ask either.

So she went into a branch, closed the account, was given 6 odd pound balance in cash but they have no record.

They also said she used her card in July to withdraw £15 at Tesco, even though it was a new card which she hadn't activated.

I told her to call FOS and let them deal with it, they said even if it goes in the banks favour, the very worst they will do is send it to a debt collector, but they think once the bank finds out we sent it to FOS at a cost of £4-500 they will drop it just to try and recover £265.

Well you have attempted to sort it out with the bank, they have refused/ignored any attempt to settle this amicably, therefore the only recourse open now is to pass it to the FOS.

BUT, I wouldn't hold out much hope as the FOS and the corrupt banking industry appear to be hand in glove, so don't be at all surprised when they find in the banks favour!

However, it will not mean all is lost, you can then complain to the FOS regarding their flawed/corrupt findings and if push comes to shove, set up a payment of £1 a month for the life of the debt.

• 3 weeks later...

If it was a DD or the like then you can bash the bank over the head for allowing a cancelled DD to go through. As for the charges, they should be cancelled as it was the bank's error that created them. You will need to get on to BG to sort out the miscreant DD and I would get the payment reversed by them whilst you are at it but clear what is owed to BG by another payment method

If this is an ongoing issue I may be able to help somewhat.

Request your bank files an indemnity claim with the retailer, British Gas?

You may wish to speak to British Gas first, if you have paid them too much you would be in credit so they should be able to refund the additional payment. Explain you changed your details and shut the account however the bank didn't act on your request so the payment was not meant to be taken. If they don't honour this your bank have an obligation to request an indemnity from the company which would refund the payment on the basis it was not your intention to make it and it was a bank error.

So once your bank have filed the indemnity, or British Gas have returned the money, explain to the bank you want the fee's removing as it is not your error, rather their's. Do this in a complaint filed in branch in person or in writing (In my experience the PhoneBank service is great however lot's of people recommend not using the phone for correspondence, in which case you could record the call) and make sure they take details on the computer and possibly even escalate the complaint to a different department (Not guaranteed). You should get a reference number or confirmation of the complaint being recorded, at which point you can ask for an update to confirm it's been loaded.

They should refund the full amount of charges and make it known to the advisor you want to shut it their and then as soon as the balance is back at £0.00, without you putting a penny in.

Thanks for the comments, I think this has now gone to the next stage.

My wife contacted FOS who said they will write to TSB and then contact her, in the meantime she gets a letter from Lloyds saying since she hasn't agreed to pay it back its going to a debt collector. She called FOS who said that was strange and they think that since TSB and Lloyds are now separate banks that they must be arguing who owns the account, so they are now going to write to TSB again and ask them what theyre playing at.

Anyway this morning Moorcroft have written to her asking for payment before 'further action'

If they don't own the debt then they can take no legal action, only the original creditor is able to take legal action.

This is exactly why you need to ignore Moorcr@p, they have very little knowledge of the accounts, I still fail to see why these creatures would ever be employed by anyone.

Deal direct with the bank, start their complaints process.