liability order - attachment of earnings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was informed today by my employer that he has received a letter from the council asking him to pay direct from my wages towards ctax arrears from 2010.

I telephoned the council and was informed they have a liability order for these arrears, I thought I had cleared this debt, I have struggled every year with ctax and I am aware that I still owe a small amount for last year and some of this year although there is no liability order for this amount.

Can they use a liability order for attachment of earnings, they have not sent a court order.

And can they do so without informing me of this. I have had no correspondence regarding this debt.

I forgot to mention, I was in receipt of ctax benefit in the time this debt relates to and also was not working for my current employer, so if I filled in a expenditure sheet for the court at the time this liability order was obtained, which I probably did, it would've had different employment details on it. I realise that who I work for is irrelevant on an attachment of earnings, but wonder how they got my details.

Thanks for you help.

The form that you completed would have been for the council and not the court - it would have been a regulation 36 notice (commonly called a 'request for information form). This can be issued by the council after the granting of a liability order.

That makes sense, but still doesn't explain how they've got my current details.

I have challenged the council as they have sent me a statement of account and part of the amount is this years and there is no liability order for it as its not yet overdue, they have agreed they made a mistake and written to my employer again correcting the amount.