style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3781 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I could do with some advice on my current situation. I have recently moved in with my Girlfriend. We both own a property on a mortgage. I still have some things in my flat, however I am gradually sorting this out and intend to let the property eventually.

At the moment we are both paying council tax. She is paying the full amount (because she had a lodger who has recently moved out) and I am paying with the 25% discount. We have put me on the electoral role at her property too, and I'm about to fill my annual electoral role form in to say I've moved and the flat is technically unoccupied.

My question is what to do about council tax. It doesn't feel very equitable for us to be paying effectively twice for services we are using only at one property. Not sure what I should do or how to go about doing it.

Thanks for help in advance.

Jazzer

Each council has their own rules about how they charge council tax for an empty property. Some may let you have a free period of 3 or 6 months, some will charge you the full rate without even the single person discount. Your council website may tell you their policy or you may have to ring them to ask.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Each council has their own rules about how they charge council tax for an empty property. Some may let you have a free period of 3 or 6 months, some will charge you the full rate without even the single person discount. Your council website may tell you their policy or you may have to ring them to ask.

As of April 2013, thanks to the changes, councils are free to set their own criteria as you state.

Most councils have, however, withdrawn the Class A 100% empty unfurnished property discount.

If your property remains empty after 1 year, some councils are now charging 150% council tax!!

You need to really refer to the council's website and see the new rules.

All private landlords going down the pan - private tenants hard to find even more thanks to all the new student complexes being built everywhere, and if 1 property is empty you pay £100+ per month if its more than one then start multiplying. Many people will start selling up as this business is now doomed! :-x

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
As of April 2013, thanks to the changes, councils are free to set their own criteria as you state.

Most councils have, however, withdrawn the Class A 100% empty unfurnished property discount.

If your property remains empty after 1 year, some councils are now charging 150% council tax!!

You need to really refer to the council's website and see the new rules.

All private landlords going down the pan - private tenants hard to find even more thanks to all the new student complexes being built everywhere, and if 1 property is empty you pay £100+ per month if its more than one then start multiplying. Many people will start selling up as this business is now doomed! :-x

A bit off topic but when I was a student 5/6 years ago I always lived in purpose built places for students. For my final 2 years I lived in a brand new block, with a double bed and ensuite with nice kitchen/lounge and all new appliances - even had on site parking and all this was in a great spot in Manchester. On top of that it was good value and even better they aligned the rent payments to my student loan payments so easy to budget.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just encountered this lunacy.

My father passed away recently and I have inherited his house through survivorship. He was getting a 25% discount for single person occupancy.

I now have to pay two full lots of council tax when my family only occupies one property.

The old six month grace period was to recognise that not all newly inherited properties could be immediately sold or rented out. Councils will no doubt argue that they want to minimise the number of empty properties when in fact they are simply being parasites.

Would it not work out cheaper to keep up the council tax on the empty property and claim your single occupier discount, rather than tell the council the property is now empty and have to pay the full amount, or even 150% if the property is empty for over 1 year. I know the option I would choose!