Thoughts in your day

I was trying to find a photo I had of something similar I found under the bedroom floorboards, done before I moved in here. The fellow had laid carpet, then put in built-in wardrobes on top. I needed to recarpet so once the old carpet and underlay had all been removed I set about screwing down floor boards which 'squeaked' before the new carpet was laid.

Curious as to the condition under the floor and being an old 1860's house I thought I'd explore so whipped a couple of boards up only to find that prior to the fitted wardrobes being fitted there was a socket installed on the wall as part of the ring-main which had a feed taken from it and connected to the gas boiler which sits in the end cupboard/wardrobe.

What he'd done is taken the face plate (the bit we can see with the on/off switch on and the 3 holes for a plug) from the wall socket and stuffed the wires to the boiler into the connection - effectively running a spur off the ring main but rather than putting in a junction box the proper way, he left the face plate with all the wires laying face-down and exposed without any insulation or cover (back-box even removed) and left it flying in the wind right underneath the water pipes to the shower room.

That was an expensive late-night call-out job to get an electrician in to rewire it all properly before the carpet fitters came the next day!

I'd be interested to know how you established the amount of leakage labrat as we have a similar situation in the kitchen. Every time I touch the microwave, I can feel the discharge of electricity through it. Not much, but it tingles and I don't trust this cowboy of a previous owner not to have done something similar to yours somewhere although to be honest, the wiring in the loft feeding the top-half of the house looks like it was done quiet professionally. It's the jobsworth who did the odd jobs after the professionals had installed the rewire I don't trust.

How did you work out the leakage?

cowboys always cost us a fortune don't they?

A1

I'm still not sure I did it right I clamped the live and earth and the meter did the rest

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I'm still not sure I did it right I clamped the live and earth and the meter did the rest

What kind of meter did you use? Was it just a volt meter? I've got one of those but haven't a clue how to use it...maybe I'll have to get another electrician to look at it.

What about a Labour Lottery for the many not the few:-o Much smaller amounts of money for tickets could be 50p or less spreading the weekly pot over many people. National lottery now £2 odds are low to win.

Food for thought for a vote on that.

What about a Labour Lottery for the many not the few:-o Much smaller amounts of money for tickets could be 50p or less spreading the weekly pot over many people. National lottery now £2 odds are low to win.

Food for thought for a vote on that.

the lottery is a rip, unless of course you win.

it is a business, and they wldn't be giving away the likes of 1m to 20m plus etc unless they were in profit, despite the contributions to 'good causes'.

as you suggest, make it not for profit. and/or reduce the odds. it'll then be seen that the jackpot is reduced accordingly.

Ryanair unacceptable attitude to this debacle does not surprise me. Mr M O'Leary came across to me in interviews as my way or the highway. I wouldn't say a very negotiable type seemed to treat issues with contempt. It makes me wonder all this bluster from the Ryanair side is a smoke screen and delay tactics for going out of business. Bankrupt? difficult for customers to get recompense then.

Ryanair should be made to refund or whatever the consumer rights are in each case now.

The cockpits look cramped to me, back of pilot chair nearly touching the door.

Ryanair unacceptable attitude to this debacle does not surprise me. Mr M O'Leary came across to me in interviews as my way or the highway. I wouldn't say a very negotiable type seemed to treat issues with contempt. It makes me wonder all this bluster from the Ryanair side is a smoke screen and delay tactics for going out of business. Bankrupt? difficult for customers to get recompense then.

Ryanair should be made to refund or whatever the consumer rights are in each case now.

The cockpits look cramped to me, back of pilot chair nearly touching the door.

A twist in the tale. Monarch looking rocky. Will Mr O'L poach their pilots? Offer to buy the planes at a knock down price? This is presuming Ryanair is very solvent.

Has anyone on here ever owned one of these http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C890403

No but I did have a 1954 Ford Pop with a V8, 4.2 Engine, very loud, was called Flaming Lime, am sure have pictures of it somewhere

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

lottery expenses a fixed proportion of ticket cost set at 5% at most so if things go badly for Camelot they are working for free.. Lottery a rip? there is a clue in the name of it.

Smaller prizes, you have to change the way it works as it is all on statistics and trying to fiddle the results doesnt make it equitable. Who would buy into a fixed raffle? The split between prizes and good causes is also set as 50/50 after exes.

I've seen labours new lottery plans, the tickets are 50p and they give prizes of £1 to everyone who says they cant afford a ticket. The rather obviosu shortfall will be made up by forcing people to buy a ticket whether they want one or not.

the lottery is a rip, unless of course you win.

it is a business, and they wldn't be giving away the likes of 1m to 20m plus etc unless they were in profit, despite the contributions to 'good causes'.

as you suggest, make it not for profit. and/or reduce the odds. it'll then be seen that the jackpot is reduced accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a problem with the CAG site? asking as it says I am not logged in when quite clearly I am! I also have a small grey box in the top right corner, it says notifications,my profile, user cp etc and I also have 3 yellow bars at the top of the page which not seen before.

I have refreshed page, logged out and back in but still the same, even restarted my pc!

I have no problems anywhere else

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

phew, glad not just me then lol

no idea what going on! :)

now keep having to log in every time, the box that says keep logged in is not there?