History-Heroes- RNLI-Lifeboats Nelson-Shipwrecks and more

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Where to start-At the beginning of course. I asked the site team where to put this, and for now this is the best place.

Just follow if you feel like it, PM me if you are a member, want to say something. Till the story begins.

This is a story of Shipwrecks, A historic oar driven lifeboat-The Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester possibly the oldest oar driven lifeboat in the world.

A story of Bravery, Tragedy, Death a football player. Florida, Nelson Scandinavia many things.

And if I live the dream as some say, the finale will for many be emotional and make you proud, happy to live in Great Britain with its history, passion and culture.

Do not seem surprised at times to see translations. I am linking this back to many countries.

Particularly, Scandinavia and America

Just skip through them.

I have been to the shipwreck,all is peaceful -i will put the story and pictures on soon.

I will be putting a picture of the Norwegian crew on.If anyone is descended from them let me know.My email is [email protected]

Norge

Jeg vil være å sette et bilde av norsk mannskap videre.Hvis noen stammer fra dem la meg know.My e-post er [email protected]

Norge--

Jeg har vært til forliset, er alt fredelig-jeg vil sette historien og bilder på snart.

Let us start with two songs. This was sang by a lady who lives and works in London.

Singing a song about the Fylde Coast -Blackpool Area but could be sung similarly anywhere if sometimes you miss the feelings of your place you were brought up.

Norge--

Hvor skal jeg begynne-I begynnelsen av kurset. Jeg spurte området team hvor du skal plassere dette, og for nå er dette det beste stedet.

Bare følg hvis du føler for det, meg PM hvis du er medlem, ønsker å si noe. Till historien begynner.

Dette er en historie om Skipsvrak, En historisk åre drevet livbåt-The Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester muligens den eldste åre drevet livbåt i verden.

En historie om Bravery, Tragedy, Death en fotballspiller. Florida, Nelson Skandinavias mange ting.

Og hvis jeg leve drømmen som noen sier, vil finalen for mange være følelsesmessig og gjøre deg stolt, glad for å leve i Storbritannia med sin historie, lidenskap og kultur.

Synes ikke overrasket til tider å se oversettelser. Jeg knytte dette tilbake til mange land.

Spesielt, Skandinavia og Amerika

Bare hoppe gjennom dem.

La oss starte med to sanger. Dette ble sang av en dame som bor og arbeider i London.

Synger en sang om Fylde Coast-Blackpool-området, men kan bli sunget samme hvor som helst hvis noen ganger du savner følelsen av ditt sted du ble tatt opp.

Sometimes-By Jane Wilkinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Zsv5wXCJM

And Eternal Father.

Well the story is started now where the finish will be, I know, just going to take some hard work, passion and energy.

It will happen.

Rest time i have to rest for a while,3 days with not much sleep,need to eat,sleep,chill for a while..

Back tomorrow.

Thankyou you know who you are,someone with vision,cheers.

Norge--

Vel historien er i gang nå hvor målgang vil bli, jeg vet, bare kommer til å ta litt hardt arbeid, lidenskap og energi.

Det vil skje.

Hviletid jeg må hvile en stund, trenger 3 dager med ikke mye søvn, å spise, sove, chill for en stund ..

Tilbake i morgen.

Takk du vet hvem du er, noen med visjon, jubel.

Edited by tawnyowl

TO, have you heard this one.. It is by the Fishermen's wives choir. They have combined both "Eternal Father" and "When the boat comes in". Very emotional.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

ah, I think it might be the same one as you have as "Sometimes" by Jane Wilkinson

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi yes you are right citzenB very emotional-sometimes i feel i am one big softy.Not telling you why.You can guess,after listening to the music

.Just a few words to those in Norway-who may tune in.Their sailors are involved from over 100 years ago.

In this story all were rescued as well as the ships dog one foul night in 1894 when the RNLI lifeboat and the crew risked their lives.

abana%202%20text.jpg

Norge--

Bare noen få ord til de i Norge-som kan tune in.Their seilere er involvert fra over 100 år siden.

I denne historien alle ble reddet samt skip dog en stygg kveld i 1894 da RNLI livbåt og mannskapet risikerte livet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abana_%28barque%29

abana%20news%20paper.jpg

abana%20news%20paper%20photo.jpg

Hvor skal jeg begynne-I begynnelsen av kurset. Jeg spurte området team hvor du skal plassere dette, og for nå er dette det beste stedet.

Bare følg hvis du føler for det, meg PM hvis du er medlem, ønsker å si noe. Till historien begynner.

Dette er en historie om Skipsvrak, En historisk åre drevet livbåt-The Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester muligens den eldste åre drevet livbåt i verden.

En historie om Bravery, Tragedy, Death en fotballspiller. Florida, Nelson Skandinavias mange ting.

Og hvis jeg leve drømmen som noen sier, vil finalen for mange være følelsesmessig og gjøre deg stolt, glad for å leve i Storbritannia med sin historie, lidenskap og kultur.

Synes ikke overrasket til tider å se oversettelser. Jeg knytte dette tilbake til mange land.

Spesielt, Skandinavia og Amerika

Bare hoppe gjennom dem.

La oss starte med to sanger. Dette ble sang av en dame som bor og arbeider

Sweden as well-Scandinavia is involved in this story.

Var ska man börja-I början av kursen. Jag frågade webbplatsen team var att sätta detta, och för att nu detta är den bästa platsen.

Följ bara om du känner för det, PM mig om du är medlem, vill säga något. Till berättelsen börjar.

Detta är en berättelse om Skeppsvrak, En historisk åra drivs livbåt-The Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester möjligen den äldsta åra drivs livbåt i världen.

En berättelse om mod, tragedi, döden en fotbollsspelare. Florida, Nelson Scandinavia många saker.

Och om jag lever drömmen som vissa säger, kommer finalen för många vara emotionell och göra dig stolt, glad att leva i Storbritannien med sin historia, passion och kultur.

Verkar inte förvånad ibland för att se översättningarna. Jag länka den tillbaka till många länder.

Speciellt, Skandinavien och Amerika

Bara hoppa igenom dem.

Låt oss börja med två låtar. Detta sjöng med en kvinna som bor och arbetar i London.

Sjunger en sång om Fyldekusten-Blackpool området men kan sjungas på samma sätt som helst om du ibland missar de känslor av din plats du växte upp.

Consumer Action Group goes International CAG

I have been searching,asking,walking the shoreline talking to people finally met a special man called Bruce Allen -A man unlike any other i have met in my life.

A inventor,engineer,that has worked,though now retired,72 you would not think so.The first time i met him,the vision will stick in my mind forever.Originally from the North East-Why Aye Man.he now lives in Blackpool.

He was in a boiler suit,the ones with straps round the shoulder,a silk mask,like the lone ranger around his face,or neck,working at a work bench sat down making one of his inventions,which was beautiful,called a solitaire.Drilling.a piece of Mahogany

He knows every nut and bolt,every inch of the lifeboat,how it was made,it even had sails,6 foot steel wheels when pulled through the sand by horses.In the Victorian age.There was no promenade,rescues had to be made by tearing through country lanes,sparks flying of the wheels as they raced to the rescue in foul weather.Trees falling,branches breaking.Horses,special ones,racing to the rescue.

This week i have held 2 oars from the Samuel Fletcher and know much, much more.

The Samuel Fletcher is safe, though slightly out of condition, the story is massive and will as Bruce said "If i had a lottery win this is the only thing i would want" This statement nearly had me in tears,and i am not the kind of bloke to do this.

If this comes true his wish which will i feel,no it will happen he and many others across Great Britain and the world would feel the same.And watch live the Finale.

More much, much more tomorrow.

Norge---

Jeg har vært på leting, spør, gå fjæra snakke med folk endelig møtte en spesiell mann som heter Bruce Allen-En mann i motsetning til alle andre jeg har møtt i mitt liv.

En oppfinner, ingeniør, som har jobbet, men nå pensjonert, 72 du ville ikke tro so.The første gang jeg møtte ham, vil visjonen pinne i mitt sinn forever.Originally fra North East-Hvorfor Aye man.he nå bor i Blackpool.

Han var i en kjele dress, de med stropper rundt skulderen, en silke maske, som lone ranger rundt ansiktet hans, eller nakke, som arbeider ved en arbeidsbenk satte seg å gjøre en av hans oppfinnelser, som var vakre, kalt en kabal . Drilling.a stykke Mahogany

Han kjenner hver skrue og mutter, hver tomme av livbåten, hvordan det ble gjort, det hadde seil, 6 fot felger da trukket gjennom sanden ved horses.In den viktorianske age.There var ingen promenade, redder måtte gjøres ved å rive gjennom landeveier, gnister flyr av hjulene som de kjørte til unnsetning i foul weather.Trees fallende, greiner breaking.Horses, spesielle seg, racing til unnsetning.

Denne uken har jeg hatt to årer fra Samuel Fletcher og vet mye, mye mer.

The Samuel Fletcher er trygt, men litt ute av stand, er historien massiv og vil som Bruce sa "Hvis jeg hadde et lotteri vinne dette er det eneste jeg ønsker" Dette utsagnet nesten fikk meg i tårer, og jeg er ikke den slags balanse å gjøre dette.

Hvis dette blir virkelighet hans ønske som jeg vil føle, nei det vil skje han og mange andre over Storbritannia og verden ville føle samme.Og watch leve Finale.

Mer mye, mye mer i morgen.

Damon-Tawnyowl. 8-02 pm 3/10/2013.

More soon having a break and a cup of tea-very emotional story that has only just begun

mer snart ha en pause og en kopp te-veldig emosjonell historie som har bare så vidt begynt
Hi to anyone tuning in from America,Australia.and Canada.Some of the biggest seaports in the world.

Thought you may enjoy this tale of the shoreline.

There are not many good stories about in the world.

This is going to be one of them.I will tell you in a minute or two about a man who has a special dream,he does not use computers,he is 72 -I am as well as others going to make his dream come true.Follow me to where this story will end.

It will be very emotional,in a happy way and you will remember this Tale Of The Shoreline for decades.

I will tell you his dream in about 10 minutes,breakfast time

This is his dream.

The Samuel Fletcher Lifeboat is to be restored.How much because of alterations to it and repairs nobody knows at present but will soon.

I feel due to one mans effort-but for now i will say no more on that.

Now Bruce is a open man,tells you things,but he has a mind so sharp and full of ideas and inventions,knows so much about things.But speaks to you in a way you can understand.

When restored he wants it pulled through the streets of Blackpool by horse as was in the Victorian age and put back in its rightful place Which at the moment is empty.

.Can you imagine the emotion in the town if this comes true.And in other places around the world.

This is now news that very few know.The Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester did not just rescue crew from 1 ship,it did save many from other ships and sailors in distress.I will just tell you one.

Norge--

Hei til alle tuning i fra Amerika, Australia.and Canada.Some av de største havnene i verden.

Trodde du kan nyte denne historien om fjæra.

Det er ikke mange gode historier om i verden.

Dette kommer til å bli en av dem.Jeg vil fortelle deg i et minutt eller to om en mann som har en spesiell drøm, han bruker ikke datamaskiner, er han 72-jeg er så vel som andre kommer til å gjøre sin drøm . Følg meg på hvor denne historien vil ende.

Det vil være veldig emosjonell, i en lykkelig måte, og du vil huske denne Tale Of The fjæra i flere tiår.

Jeg vil fortelle deg sin drøm i ca 10 minutter, frokosttid

Dette er hans drøm.

The Samuel Fletcher livbåt skal være restored.How mye på grunn av endringer i det og reparasjoner ingen kjenner i dag, men vil snart.

Jeg føler på grunn av en mans innsats-men for nå vil jeg ikke si mer om det.

Nå Bruce er en åpen mann, forteller deg ting, men han har en tanke så skarp og full av ideer og oppfinnelser, vet så mye om things.But snakker til deg på en måte du kan forstå.

Når restaurert han ønsker det trukket gjennom gatene i Blackpool med hest som var i den viktorianske alder og satt tilbake i sin rettmessige plass som i øyeblikket er tom.

. Kan du forestille deg den følelsen i byen hvis dette kommer true.And i andre steder i verden.

Dette er nå nyheten om at svært få know.the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester ikke bare redde mannskapet fra en skip, gjorde det spare mange fra andre skip og sjømenn i distress.I vil bare fortelle deg en.

Right one more story. This is one other ship the Samuel Fletcher rescued the crew from. This is the connection to Admiral Nelson.

He had a Flagship called The Fuodroyant, which he served on for a short time. Said it was the best ship he ever sailed on. When it was decommissioned it went on tour. Arriving at Blackpool it hit a tremendous storm and after hitting North Pier was wrecked. Can you imagine, I can hardly write this stuff. You may not believe. Better put a article on so you believe. The Samuel Fletcher rescued the crew.

80 cannons and the wood were taken away by the local entrepreneurs and turned into souvenirs and furniture.

Just as they would now. Blackpool Football Clubs boardroom is cladded with wood from the Fuodroyant, I asked.

Now soon i will give you another fascinating part of the story, but this afternoon I have to investigate a couple of things connected to the story. So for now will leave things. Just a link.

Norge-

Rette mer story.This er en annen skipet Samuel Fletcher reddet mannskapet fra. Dette er forbindelsen til Admiral Nelson.

Han hadde et flaggskip kalt The Fuodroyant, som han tjente på for en kort time.Said det var det beste skipet han noen gang har seilt videre.Når det ble nedlagt det gikk på tour.Arriving på Blackpool den traff en enorm storm og etter treffer North Pier ble wrecked.Can du forestille deg, kan jeg nesten ikke skrive dette stuff.You kan ikke believe.Better sette en artikkel om slik at du believe.The Samuel Fletcher reddet mannskapet.

80 kanoner og tre ble tatt bort av lokale entreprenører og omgjort til suvenirer og møbler.

Akkurat som de ville now.Blackpool Football Clubs styrerommet er kles med treverk fra Fuodroyant, spurte jeg.

Nå snart jeg vil gi deg en annen fascinerende del av historien, men i ettermiddag har jeg å undersøke et par ting som er koblet til story.So for nå vil forlate things.Just en link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Foudroyant_%281798%29

220px-HMS_Foudroyant_wreck.jpg220px-Foudroyant_And_Santa_Fe.jpg

While I go hunting for things, a rest for you, my town at night.

Mens jeg går på jakt etter ting min by om natten

Tonight I will tell you how this story began for me.

I kveld vil jeg fortelle deg hvordan denne historien begynte for meg.

THE SAMUEL FLETCHER LIFEBOAT.

lifeboat%20samual%20flectcher.jpg

1794156379.jpg

The crew of the Abana-Norwegians and Swedish

_47115620_abana-crew.jpg

Edited by citizenB

OK while writing this story, the research you have to do is massive, anyway something for now are left out but will become clearer as time goes on. While looking at the crew of the Samuel Fletcher one name, i have not researched them all stood out Parkinson. 1896

It turns out he was Blackpool Football Clubs Top Scorer In their ever first Season in the football league 1896 i will check this in a moment. And also because of his skill played for Liverpool. While researching i came across this-saves me perhaps rambling on to much. And shows others in the past have looked at things. After you read this, this is a story of heroism, happiness ,bravery a man who even at the end of his life at 36 gave his life for a friend. Very emotional. Give me a moment before i link in

Prepare yourselves for a man who to me is a hero-here is a story, I feel again has got the Scandinavian connection-the author

For anyone who wants to send this story elsewhere in the world-use this language translator. Let us get this story out there.

http://translate.google.com/

Blackpool Corporation Baths

Jack Parkinson dies from his injuries

Blackpool Football Clubs Top Scorer In Their First Ever Season In The Football League Dies A Hero. Giving His Life For Others

http://kjellhanssen.com/tag/blackpool-corporation-baths/

Now when I was a kid, I used to swim in these baths, a experience I tell you, a story there alone. Got my first learners certificate there. It is now a car park, mm

If you hit this link, scroll down it gives you further info on his football career, there are many links

But also tells of his heroic deed that led to his death-prepare yourselves for a true act of heroism-i would not have liked to be in his position at the time, would you.

http://kjellhanssen.com/tag/blackpool-lifeboat-crew/

I have just sent a message to Kjell on Twitter

Here--

@TheSpiritOf1892 HI Kjell i have just linked you to a #story-how did u find this info-well done #Respect http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?404875-History-Heroes-RNLI-Lifeboats-Nelson-Shipwrecks-and-more%288Viewing%29-nbsp … #Liverpool

3-36am Sat 5/10/2013-tiring now-will maybe continue later-will now tidy post up then-zzzz

Just going to translate this into Norwegian then I will leave it at that for the next few hours.

I know much more, some that very few people know, if any, all will be revealed as time goes on.

Norge--

OK mens du skriver denne historien , er forskningen du trenger å gjøre massive , er likevel somethings for nå utelatt , men vil bli klarere etter hvert som tiden går on.While ser på mannskapet på Samuel Fletcher ett navn , jeg har ikke forsket på dem alle sto out.J Parkinson. 1896

Det viser seg at han var Blackpool Football Clubs toppscorer i deres stadig første sesong i fotball 1896 vil jeg sjekke dette i en moment.And også på grunn av hans dyktighet spilte for Liverpool.While forske Jeg kom over dette - sparer meg kanskje springende på til much.And viser andre i det siste har sett på things.After du leser dette, er dette en historie om heltemot , lykke , mot en mann som selv på slutten av sitt liv på 36 gav sitt liv for en friend.Very emosjonelle . Gi meg et øyeblikk før jeg linke

Forbered dere for en mann som for meg er en helt - her er en historie , føler jeg igjen har fått det skandinaviske tilkobling - forfatteren

For alle som ønsker å sende denne historien andre steder i verden bruke dette språket translator.Let oss får denne historien ute.

' Blackpool Corporation Baths '

Jack Parkinson dør av skadene

Blackpool Football Clubs toppscorer i sin første Ever Season In The Football League Dies En Hero.Giving sitt liv for andre

http://kjellhanssen.com/tag/blackpoo...oration-baths/

Nå når jeg var liten , pleide jeg å svømme i disse badene , en erfaring jeg fortelle deg , en historie der alone.Got min første elever sertifikat der. Det er nå en parkeringsplass , mmm

Hvis du treffer denne linken, bla nedover det gir deg ytterligere informasjon om sin fotballkarriere , er det mange lenker

Men forteller også om hans heroiske gjerning som førte til hans død - forberede dere for en sann handling av heltemot -jeg ville ikke ha likt å være i sin stilling på det tidspunktet , ville du .

http://kjellhanssen.com/tag/blackpool-lifeboat-crew/

Jeg har nettopp sendt en melding til Kjell på Twitter

her -

@ TheSpiritOf1892 HI Kjell jeg har nettopp koblet deg til en # story -how did u finne denne info - well done # Respekt http://www.consumeractiongroup.c ... # Liverpool

3 - 36am lør 5/10/2013-tiring nå - vil kanskje fortsette senere , vil nå rydde etter seg da - zzzz

Bare kommer til å oversette dette til norsk så jeg vil la det bli med det for de neste par timene .

Jeg vet mye mer , noen som svært få mennesker vet , om noen, alt vil bli avslørt som tiden går .

For alle som ønsker å sende denne historien andre steder i verden bruke dette språket translator.Let oss får denne historien ute.

La oss gjøre Bruce Allens drømmen en reality.Let oss å få Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester livbåt Restaurert så raskt som mulig, og deretter brakt tilbake til Blackpool.Pulled av hester, selv en gang å ha et seil på den irske sea.Sails værs.

Deretter satt på et hvilested, hvor mange kan see.It fortjener this.Back i sin Boathouse å hvile der folk kan beundre det, har fotografier tatt av den.En RNLI donationicon for alle besøkende til dette stedet av historiske interesticon.

Bruce er den type mann som i viktoriansk tid ville ha vært å finne opp ting, bygge broer, tog, noe som gjør ting arbeide.Rommet slags menneske som gjorde Great Britain stor.Hvis han brukte datamaskiner jeg vil fortelle deg dette, ville han nå bli bedre dem.Når du lytte til ham at han maler et bilde til deg om hvordan ting var., hvordan de skjer, hvordan de fungerer, hvordan de var made.You kunne lytte til ham for hours.More snart, er den Tale Of The Shoreline bare bare varmer opp.

Let us make Bruce Allens dream a reality.Let us get the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester Lifeboat Restored as quickly as possible,then brought back to Blackpool.Pulled by horses through the town even once more to have a sail on the Irish sea.Sails aloft.

Then put to a resting place,where many can see.It deserves this.Back in its Boathouse to rest where people can admire it,have photographs taken by it.A RNLI donation for every visitor to this place of historic interest.

Bruce is the kind of man who in Victorian times would have been inventing things,building bridges,trains,making things work.The kind of man that made Great Britain great.If he used computers i will tell you this,he would now be improving them.When you listen to him he paints a picture for you of how things were.,how they happen,how they work,how they were made.You could listen to him for hours.More soon, the Tale Of The Shoreline is only just warming up.

Edited by tawnyowl

Norge--

Jeg har nettopp blitt kontaktet av den viktigste historiker av Liverpool Football Club Kjell Hanssenn som har vennlig gitt meg en link til denne Brave fotballspiller, lifeboatman, han ro J Parkinson

Jeg skal skrive en novelle om historikeren snart.

Men bare ønsker å få info der ute i webland.

http://stonechaser.blogspot.co.uk/20...parkinson.html

Og jeg forsikrer deg, hvis ledelsen navnetrekk på denne modige mans grav er peeling, etter den tid jeg får til slutten av denne historien, vil det

bli gleamingThe andre bildet sikkert er der Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester livbåt belongs.The gammel livbåt hus som i dette øyeblikk tror jeg er empty.More snart.

I have just been contacted by the main historian of Liverpool Football Club Kjell Hanssenn who has kindly given me another link to this Brave footballer,lifeboatman,hero J Parkinson

I will be writing a short story about the historian soon.

But just want to get the info out there in webland.

http://stonechaser.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/arnold-parkinson.html

And i assure you,if the lead lettering on this brave mans grave is peeling,by the time i get to the end of this story,it will

be gleamingThe second picture surely is where the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester lifeboat belongs.The old Lifeboat house which at this moment i believe is empty.More soon.Good grief it is 1 pm sat 5/10/2013,i have lost track of time.Time to get up,i am still in bed Time to eat. Tomorrow i am going on another top secret mission.Some things i will be looking into finding out,taking photographs,many things.I have not yet told you how i became involved in this.I will do soon ,but for now i will add a few more links

For anyone venturing this way.I will be writing more from about 2am.Sunday

I have thanks to give to some later,i have not forgotten you,i will mention later.

P1010404web.JPGP1010101web.JPG

Edited by citizenB
comment removed at the request of Tawny Owl.

A Poem From J Parkinson Snr.

JOHN PARKINSON, (Senior)

A MEMBER OF THE BLACKPOOL LIFEBOAT CREW.

GOOD-BYE a bit, John; we shall meet ogen soon;

Aw shall noan be long after, tha'll see;

So aw want thee—when settled i' th' mansions aboon,

To look eawt for a place for me.

Tha'll know what'll suit me—a bit ov a spot

Aw con ceawer in, an' feel 'at it's mine;

Just a few simple fleawers reawnd a plain-lookin' cot,

An' let it be nearish to thine.

As a naybur an' friend, John, aw feawnd tha wur true;

When tha piped aw wur tempted to dance;

An' aw think we could manage Eternity throo'—

That is—iv we'd nobbut th' chance.

Aw went to thi berrin'! an', dear-a-me, John,

Sich a seet aw've but seldom seen!

There wur theawsands o' foalks stood watchin' it, mon,

An' they'd th' mooast on 'em tears i' their een!

It's not merely th' public 'at's mournin' their loss,

But it's thoose 'at's lost husband an' dad;

Th' poor mother wur fairly weighed deawn wi' her cross,

An' th' childer wur just as bad.

Th' tall, wasted form 'at tha left behind,

We reverently put into th' greawnd;

Feelin' certain at dear Mother Earth 'll be kind,

An' thi sleep undisturbed an' seawnd.

This isn't to th' dead husk, but to th' livin' grain;

Aw'm speakin' to John hissel!

To th' spirit, an' not to th' lifeless brain;

To th' kernel, an' not to th' shell!

Aw'm aware these 'll strike some as strangish views;

An' one's lots o' times yeard it said

'At nobody but idiots an' crazy foo's

Would pretend to converse wi' th' dead.

Well, they may be reet, an' th' writer wrong;

We're none of us feawnd o'er breet;

But these are mi thowts, an' they're put i' mi song,

Becose aw believe 'em reet.

Shall aw get a response? Well, it's hard to say;

But supposin' aw don't get a word,—

Must silence be ta'en as a proof 'at mi lay

Has noather been read or heard?

Well, good-bye a bit, John; we shall meet ogen soon,

Wheer th' sun never hides his rays;

Wheer there's never a veil o'er th' face o' th' moon,

Nor gloomy November days.

Wheer tha's cast anchor on th' gowden strand,

There'll be no storms to brave;

No oars to grasp, no boats to be man'd,

Nor shipwrecked foalk to save!

I feel at this moment i will give thanks to CitizenB who has been very kind,and supporting me through this thread.

And also to this man,who has worked so hard to research many of these things.A Liverpool Historian,they must be proud to have him in their community.

Kjell Hanssen, football historian

The history of Liverpool Football Club through newspaper articles.

About kjellhanssen.com

with 31 comments

For more than 10 years I have collected newspaper articles related to the history of Liverpool Football Club. This blog is a presentation of the histor of the greatest football team ever, told by the media. Many books about Liverpool F.C. contain errors about what happened in the old days. LFC deserve more than a “non-important” past.

Among all the articles I will also try to bring back the daily life of the people who lived in the city and the area. This is first and foremost a tribune to all those who either shared, or share, the same red passion. If you are writing a book, or an article about Liverpool F.C., or a former player, you are much welcome to use information presented on these pages. All I ask in return is a mention under “sources.”

You can contact me on kjellhanssen@hotmail. com.

Regards,

Kjell Hanssen

http://translate.google.com/ Just copy and paste the words into the translator.Take the story anywhere.

Norge--

Bare kopier og lim ordene inn i translator.Take historien hvor som helst.

French--

Il suffit de copier et coller les mots en histoire translator.Take n'importe où.

Spain- Sólo tienes que copiar y pegar palabras en historia translator.Take cualquier lugar.

Sweden--

Bara kopiera och klistra in ord i translator.Take berättelse någonstans.

Hi Australia-my dad came over here in the war.Served in The Australian Airforce,stationed at Blackpool,taught night flying-bombers,Lancasters,Wellingtons,as many other Australians did.

Hope you enjoy this story.The Blue Mountains,Beautiful.If you want to get in touch from Parramatta my email is higher up in the thread.B.A.LYNCH-My dads name

Later on today it is now 3-42 am Sunday6/10/2013 flagging a touch now,today i am going on a mission.To find out things.Later i will talk about how the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester Came ,or managed to get to Blackpool.

Remember in those days,no cars,no M6 how did it get here.Horse,River,Canal,how.Over 100 years ago.If anyone knows anything got any information,let me know.Thanks.

Ok 10-30am Sunday6/10/2013.

Today i am going to investigate a few things.Where this may lead to who knows.Let us see.In the meantime a little music for you.To relax you.The story as i say,this part has only just begun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPo5jTQ39eE

Back from the investigations.Both were successful which surprised me.Photographs were taken.The investigations

till i have spoken later this week to Bruce have to be kept to myself.Bruce is not feeling well at the moment.

so for a few days i have to leave it at that.

It was a pleasant day which involved scenic countryside views,tight country lanes,getting lost a few times,finally finding what i was looking for.In the most unusual place you could imagine.As i say perhaps 30 photographs were taken,

some never seen before.There is no doubt of that. Bruce my friend,get well soon.

Now tonight a night of rest i feel.Will be back Monday evening with much more news.And maybe a picture or two.

19-45 Sunday

Edited by tawnyowl

Hi Monday morning now.i am,although i do not do anger,very concerned about one discovery made yesterday.

What i found, even this morning has me concerned about how things can happen to historic artifacts.

What i saw and took photographs of,i do not know how to describe my feelings,but i will as time goes on.

But even now is not to late to act.But i first need before publishing,other peoples thoughts on the matter.

But if agreed,i will blast this news far and wide.Absolutely raging.

But calm as well.Used to it.Trying not to let feelings and emotion get to me.

But my ears are ringing,my blood pressure must be going through the roof,i must calm down.

And just to make things worse,Fang my black and white cat has just tried to leap onto the windowsill and missed.

He is not very pleased and has shot off.

And J Parkinson Blackpool Footballer And Liverpool football player i know somehow you are guiding me.

Yesterday you know what i did,where i went.You were and still are a hero.

Even though over 100 years have passed.

The baths superintendent was best known locally as Jack Parkinson, he having been a popular lifeboat man and a member of the Blackpool Football Club team in the Lancashire League days. Parkinson played centre forward for the Blackpool team, on the Raikes Hall ground, and his form was such as to induce Liverpool to secure his services, where he remained for two or three years, only to return to his native town’s club in 1900, for which he played centre half up to last season. His long service with the Seaside club entitled him to the “benefit” he received, and as he was one of the most genial and steady of fellows he was liked wherever he went, and was very popular not only with the public, but amongst all his colleagues. His death under such distressing circumstances is deeply deplored.

His connection with the lifeboat service has been continued from his youth up, for as a local boatman he was well qualified to be a member of the of the crew, and throughout the country he was known as the sailor-footballer. He last went out in the in the lifeboat to the wreck of the “Rosaleen” at St Anne’s a few weeks ago. He has only been married a little over a year, his wife having been assistant manageress at the baths for several years previously.

What a start to the week.

00.15AM Tuesday 8/10/2013.

I have just had a shower,after trying to get to sleep,failing.Thoughts churning in my mind.

So i will tell you how i became involved in this story.I will for now not put the Newspaper article on.Truth known i will have to scan it then post it somehow. Maybe write it Later in the story i will put it on.Let me explain.

As a teenager i used to always be swimming,or enoying the sun,basking on the rocks by the Cliffs at a place in Blackpool called the Gynn Square.

Always there from morning till night.I know many tragedy's have happened there,but at these times it was a red hot summer,the seas were calm.We,some may not agree,got to know the area,how the tides were,currents,sandbanks,many things.Wind direction,waves all sorts of things.I will try to find a picture of the area.

Even the chefs from the Cliffs hotel used to come across with massive inflated inner tubes and float about.A refreshing break.from the heat of the kitchens.Used to dive of the sea wall,then up the steps.Can not see it being allowed now.

The lifeguards used to see us,kept watch,not for long and carry on on their patrol.Used to pop over to a hotel called the York House at dinner to see the receptionist who was a friend of mine.Have a bite to eat,a chat.

A few of us used to use the old Derby Baths when weather was bad.Throw ourselves off the boards.From the back to the front,running and just launch ourselves.Doing bombs they were called.Just before hitting the water we used to curl up,creating a splash that went perhaps 15 feet up in the air,same in all directions.Sometimes two of us at the same time. Used to get told off doing this.This was a Olympic sized swimming baths opened by the original Tarzan Johnny Weissmuller.Now demolished, mmm.

Let me try to find a picture.Here you are-- Derby Baths, Blackpool. 1939

A gap developed for many years,family life,then due to being quiet with work,started walking the shoreline again,memories came flooding back,started going every day walking from Cleveleys to South Shore.seeing many things as i walked,started writing about them.

One day approaching the Norbreck Castle Hotel at low tide,86degrees even on the beach,i spotted a shipwreck.

Well having read to many books like Robinson Crusoe and Greek Fables when i was a kid,i had to investigate.Out i went to the wreck and searched round it inch by inch.Looking for something,nothing found but interesting to feel the wood the bits of bolts still remaining..And a decent size as well.When arriving home i researched what ship it was.The Abana,hit a terrific storm,the lifeboat hurtled through country lanes to the rescue,alerted by a horse-rider that had been sent to raise the alarm.

Just carrying Ballast,on its way to Florida to collect a shipment of timber..

A lot of coincidences in this story don't you think,makes you wonder many things.

I remembered the lifeboat when i was younger,the name taking people on a tour of the lake.

So researching i thought i would write a letter,that is all to ask people a few things.To a local paper.

2 weeks went by,nothing.mmm i thought why not.Checking my emails a few days later,there were many to go through ,just about to delete them,noticed a email to me.

To cut the story short,a full size article appeared shortly afterwards.picture of myself,at the wreck,and a story.

A couple of weeks had gone by,all of a sudden a letter appeared in the paper,this was it.I had written the article in such a way,i wanted reaction.,which came,here it is.Even though a full page,many of my words would not fit so had been left out.

1794156379.jpg The Samuel Fletcher lifeboat awaiting renovation after falling into disrepair

Brave lifeboat rescue

The Abana

Further to Damon’s research on the Abana rescue in 1894, he was right about the lifeboat first covering several miles on land from Blackpool to Bispham for what was an amazing rescue.

The call to the lifeboat from the crew of the Abana was: “How many can you take?”

The call from the lifeboat back to the Abana was: “We’ll take all of you!”

The lifeboat was so overloaded that the crew had to get out and push the boat over the sand banks. As I’ve said, an amazing rescue!

That boat was the lifeboat Robert William, prior to the Samuel Fletcher. The original Samuel Fletcher, as supplied to Blackpool weighed in at three tons and was too heavy. So it was requested that the builders supply a light pulling boat more suitable for shore launching.

This the builders did and the new lifeboat was called the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester.

It came into service in 1896 and served until 1930, weighing in at two tons.

Damon was right in his assumption that this is the boat that was used on Stanley Lake Park.

The Samuel Fletcher of Manchester was then saved from oblivion by a few Blackpool people and placed at TS Penelope with the intention of the cadets making it into a project.

Unfortunately this did not happen. The Samuel Fletcher of Manchester was then moved to the Illuminations department off Squires Gate Lane and is earmarked to be moved to Hayling Island, near Portsmouth, for renovation.

The work continues. Damon and anyone else who would like to join the Friends of the Samuel Fletcher Group would be very welcome and they can get more details by ringing me ,

Bruce Allen

So many coincidences.The only letter came from the one man that i needed.

Now maybe i can get some sleep.Good morning Great Britain-1-28am

Edited by tawnyowl

Tomorrow i am going to look for more details on the story.Things are developing behind the scenes.

I should add this week i will be putting some photos on that no one has seen before.

So maybe some are feeling this story is cooling.

Believe me it is not.It is still warming up.I will tell the story how i see it.

By the time this story is finished all inaccuracies will have been dealt with and the full story,the history of the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester will be correct.

And boy are there some twists and turns to be revealed.

Here is a small statement from When the Samuel Fletcher was taking people on tours round Stanley Park.

If anyone has any photographs of its days at the park would you let me have a copy.Maybe someone out there has video of this.Here is one,from a distance.

spaceout.gifQuote-Part of the Lake's claim to fame today was the use of the old Blackpool Lifeboat which for many years was used as a pleasure cruiser on the lake. The "Samuel Fletcher" was apparently used to rescue passengers from a foundering ship near the North Pier in June 1897, the "Foudroyant", which was Nelson's flagship. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3283120

And some more-3oVC_cSvFgCSRQ3s4ao-AkgPvjY_3uRY3BHNIFpc0AldLeNGJt71t-pfJ1kiBqhxZlLky38=s120

And a statement by a Skipper-After ending service, the Foudroyant,Nelsons former flagship became a tourist attraction. It came to Blackpool from Southport on June 4, 1897, and anchored two miles out to sea between North and Central piers.

Just before 6am on June 16, a hurricane force storm caused the ship to break anchor. Drifting towards land, she just missed the North Pier jetty and hit the shore 600 yards up from Cocker Square.

The 28 crew members were saved by 16 lifeboatmen aboard the Blackpool lifeboat, the "Samuel Fletcher", which is now on the lake at Stanley Park in Blackpool.

Not any more we know that.

Another article,see how things are becoming important.This could be the oldest surviving oar driven lifeboat in the world,definitely in Great Britain.

Samuel Fletcher of Manchester

Quote-The Times a few years ago.

Sir, I believe that the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester is possibly the oldest RNLI lifeboat still existent, not The James Stevens No 14 (report, Sept 8).

The Samuel Fletcher of Manchester was launched in Blackpool in September 1885 as part of the town’s celebration of the start of its electric street tramway. It later became a launch on the town’s Stanley Park Lake; my grandfather, Thomas Woodman, was in charge of it during the 1930s End quote

Here is a picture from 1934-on the lake

Look at the queues waiting to get on it.Can you believe this.

The pleasure craft was the former Blackpool lifeboat "Samuel Fletcher". The RNLI sold the boat in 1930 for £70, shortly after it entered service on the lake.

Maybe now the Lake has had its leaks fixed it could still do tours again another idea.

I would be proud to see it sail again.

It would make money,pay for itself,though it has i dare say,thousands of times over.

At night carefully put away ,guarded under its own cover at the side of the Lake,away from vandals etc

I believe the Lottery gave a tremendous grant to Stanley Park, millions,why,if any of the money is left can this not be accomplished.

Then in Winter put back in its winter home.Safe.For the public to wonder,be amazed at the story of this Lifeboat.

See its history,heroic deeds by men carried on it,the crew that worked on it.I would be.A tourist attraction for sure,winter and summer.There can be no doubt.It would draw people worldwide.

In the meantime perhaps this may give some people who are following this thread something to look at..

http://www2.blackpooltoday.co.uk/shipwreck/

More breaking news soon.And some pictures of something that will shock you.A worldwide breaking story,never seen before.Coming soon.

And take note some people who may be reading this story,this is history as it happens.

I am not playing,writing a Tale Of The Shoreline.

Things better start moving,fast.I am not spending years on this.

Do i know things,do you want to take that chance.

I want Bruce Allens dream fulfilling-soon as.

I want this Samuel Fletcher of Manchester Lifeboat restoring then pulled through the Town Centre of Blackpool by horses as in Victorian times and given the reception it deserves.

And in memory to the crew of the lifeboat and sailors of ships it saved and did not manage to save..Nothing more than they deserve as well.

On Saturday morning i will release something not seen before.If all goes to plan.

Edited by tawnyowl

Just writing a post today.

About lifeboats.It will build in the next few hours.

And there may be slight accurate issues but as said before by the end of this story all will become clear.

Just to remind myself.Used to go fishing on Stanley Park.Even been on the Samuel Fletcher when young.

Used to curse the Lifeboat.Caused waves that hid my float.But i did not know its history.If i had i would have stood up and saluted it.

Who would have thought now 43 years later i would be doing this.

Yesterday i went to pay my respects to J Parkinson.

I have photos,all is peaceful,as you would expect.

Some of the lettering needs refreshing.I am sure this is only a small job.

And i am sure some local monumental mason,if that is the word would be honored to do this.

Due to working in construction,i thought the stonework was beautiful,improved perhaps with age

Back to the story.

http://rnli.org/aboutus/Pages/About-us.aspx

The 20th century saw the RNLI continue to save lives at sea through two world wars. Lifeboats moved from sail and oar power to petrol and diesel, and the first women joined their crews.

There it is,the link to sail,i believe the Lifeboat had sails.Can you believe this.As well as oars.I have held two of them.

1884 RNLI

History%20Photo-Medium.jpg

Check this out

Now go to the part about the Mexico 1886

27 Seven Lifeboat men lost their lives from Southport and St Annes

16 Women widows,50 children lost their fathers.

A poem for them

SAM BAMFORD.

SAMUEL BAMFORD (1788-1872), a Lancashire handloom weaver by trade, was a prolific writer, penning many pamphlets, leaflets and letters as well as being a poet

bamford_ca1860.bmp

LADS! doff yo'r hats, an' gether reawnd,

An' listen to mi song,

Mi subject's rayther painful, so

Aw'll not detain yo' long.

Yon' happen heard o' th' wreck we'n had,

So near this stormy coast,

O th' sad mishaps to th' lifeboat crews,

An' th' precious lives we'n lost.

It's bad enuff to hear these tales,

Or read what's put i' print;

But what must be th' effects o' th' storm

To thoose poor chaps 'at's in't:

When seated cosily i' th' nook,

It's little we can know

O' th' foamin' billows meawntains high,

Or th' stormy winds 'at blow!

Eh, bless yo', lads! aw mind that neet,

That fatal neet to some;

Aw're sit deawn readin' th' Evening' News,

I' this mi sea-side whoam,

When th' woind i' th' chimney 'gan to roar,

At length it blew a gale;

An' th' windows fairly rattled, lads,

Wi' th' peltin' rain an' hail.

Aw looked at th' woife, who, just at th' toime,

Sat knittin' in her cheer,

An' said, "It's gettin' fearful, lass;

There'll be some wrecks, aw fear!"

Yo' know the result—th' bad news 'at coome;

Th' next morning' when aw woke,

Aw're hauve prepared to hear th' sad words

Mi sorrowin' naybors spoke:—

Heaw two brave crews had faced that sea—

Ah, one o' th' stormiest known—

An' tryin' t' rescue other lives

Had sacrificed their own!

Sad news wur this! As th' day wore on,

It only proved too true;

Saint Annes and Southport boats wur lost

An' th' biggest part o' th' crew.

While these sad scenes wur takkin' place

That stormy neet i' th' dark,

Th' brave Lytham crew wur eawt, an' proved

Successful i' their wark.

Ah, these brave fellows put to sea,

An' fowt booath wind an' waves,

Till every man on th' Mexico

Wur saved fro' watery graves!

Well, th' next we yeard wur—Coxs'n Bob

Wur launchin' th' Blackpool boat;

An' th' Samuel Fletcher, wi' her crew,

Wur very soon afloat.

They went as close as they could think

To wheer th' sad wreck had been;

But, as yo' know, lads, all wur vain,

No boats or bodies seen.

Aw'll say no moor; yo' know the rest,

Heaw widows grieve an' mourn;

An' little childer cry for th' dads

They'll never see return.

Heaw aged parents mourn their sons,

An' social ties are rent;

Heaw the nation's moved fro' end to side,

At this mooast sad event!

Well, lads, aw've done, put on your hats,

Yo'n heard mi plaintive lay;

It's th' saddest song aw've had to sing

For many and many a day.

Aw've pleaded th' boatmen's cause before,

Aw'll plead it once ogen;

For God hasn't made ow't nobler yet,

Than these brave Lifeboat Men!

Quote-

Well, the next we heard was—Coxsman Bob

Was launching the Blackpool boat;

And the Samuel Fletcher, with her crew,

Was very soon afloat.

They went as close as they could think

To where the sad wreck had been;

But, as you know, lads, all was in vain,

No boats or bodies seen.

The Coxsman - Bob Bickerstaffe

The first manager of the pier was Robert Bickerstaffe, coxswain of the first Blackpool lifeboat.

The Samuel Fletcher also put to sea to look for survivors None were found..And is mentioned in the poem.

Let us remember this.

Bruce Allen in his letter.Talking about the Abana rescue.

That boat was the lifeboat Robert William, prior to the Samuel Fletcher. The original Samuel Fletcher, as supplied to Blackpool weighed in at three tons and was too heavy. So it was requested that the builders supply a light pulling boat more suitable for shore launching.

This the builders did and the new lifeboat was called the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester.

It came into service in 1896 and served until 1930, weighing in at two tons.

http://rnli.org/aboutus/historyandheritage/Pages/History-tabs/Timeline.aspx

There can be no other outcome.The story has a beginning a middle,not finished yet.This is what Bruce and myself,and others i have yet to meet want the end to look like.It has been done before.It is right to do it again.It will happen.

Much more as the week goes on.Including some surprises.

Blackpool’s lifeboat in a parade along Foxhall Road in 1897.

_wsb_514x386_Foxhall+Road.doc.jpg

So this was the Samuel Fletcher-The Blackpool lifeboat being pulled through the Streets of Blackpool by horse to the Lifeboat House.So many happy coincidences turning up.

Another small story,a memory just came back.

Around Central Pier in the 70s,they used to do small cruises.

Now these were quite popular.One day,as i remember a warm day,not much swell.On the beach as usual.The people were waiting to board the boat.I remember watching and after a while realised that something was not right.The boat was not coming in.

I said to some chap,"Shall i swim out to it and see what is up"

"Aye go on lad."thinking back maybe this was not the best idea i had had,but went for it.Off i set.

After a while i reached it,no movement from below,could not see in i was quite low in the water.

So using a wave,the swell,at a peak i managed to grip onto the top side and pull myself up.

The skipper was fast asleep,the heat and movement of the boat must have put him out.

When roused,he went into overdrive.

Do you know i did not even get a lift back to shore.I had to swim back.I wonder what the boat was called.

I would like to meet that Skipper,say thanks very much.For nothing.

Enough for today. 20.40 Hours Thursday 10/10/2013

Edited by tawnyowl

A lot to write-and photos to add.So the story is taking me a lot longer than i thought to put together today.

The investigations i carried out last week,all need putting together correctly.

And if the truth be known,i have many notes next to me,and photos,but for now,am struggling to put things down.

So maybe best to chill for a while.It will soon come back,and the words flow again.Sometimes minutes,other times hours slip by.That engrossed tea goes cold,you can not sleep for thinking about things.

So for now the first slideshow photo video,there will be more.This story needs telling.History in the making.

Thanks to David Richardson.You know what for,cheers.And of course Bruce Allen,you have given me plenty to think about today,as always.

Spotted your post CitizenB-I have hundreds of photos,many that are going to surprise people..Many new ones.

And soon i will be concentrating on the names of the Norwegian and Swedish crew of the Abana shipwreck.

Soon i will be putting on close ups of the stone on J Parkinsons place of rest.The inscriptions.It is not morbid it is a celebration of this mans life.As i walked through 2 graveyards,big ones at that,because i did not know where he lay.Many hours were spent looking.You realise these places tell you so much,people should look round these places see what history is there.

I once saw a Pirates grave,getting misty now remembering,think it said-Here lies John Round-Lost At Sea And Never Found.Now that did baffle me.

The posts coming soon are going to shock some,and make people wonder perhaps to keep a eye on things,their local history, the objects that may be rotting away.Once gone that is it.Lost for ever. they should be preserved.For future generations.

Norge---

Jeg så en Pirates grav, får tåkete nå å huske, tror det sa-Her ligger John Round-Lost At Sea And Never Found.Now som gjorde forbløffe meg.

Stolpene kommer snart kommer til å sjokkere noen, og gjøre folk lurer kanskje for å holde et øye med ting, deres lokale historie, objektene som kan rotting away.Once borte som er it.Lost for alltid. de bør være preserved.For fremtidige generasjoner.

Bruk oversetteren uansett hvor du er i Skandinavia

Edited by tawnyowl

I would like to think you have some Norwegian viewers to this as well, TO. You have some great archive photos :)

BCOBS

Swedish--Använd ths översättare

Norge--Bruk ths oversetter

Just going back to The Abana was flying the Norwegian flag 2Q==2Q== Wrecked 22/12/1894.

Built in Saint John-New Brunswick Canada 1874

Belonged to a company in Farsund Norway.

Crew of 16 13 Norwegians,3 Swedes,a ships dog a ships cat,mm wondering about the cat.I know the dog was saved.And all the crew.I did not know about the cat.Not sure on this.AH,the cat was rescued as well.What a story.

At Blackpool the lifeboat "The Samuel Fletcher of Manchester" had just returned from rescuing the crew of the Fleetwood fishing smack "Petrel" when the messenger from Cleveleys arrived, immediately the lifeboat and crew set off for Little Bispham.

"The following is a list of names of the 16 Blackpool brave men who were the crew of the lifeboat "Samuel Fletcher" which rescued 17 lives off the wreck at Norbreck. Coxswain - John Cartmell. Second Coxswain - C.Cornall. Bowman - R.Parr. Crew - R.Scott. W.Parkinson. R.Parkinson. J.Parkinson (the popular Blackpool footballer). R.Conall. R.Cornall junr. J.Cornall. H.Parr. R.Parr. J.Rimmer. R.Westhead. E.Stanhope. and E.Salthouse.

The Lifeboat

Been out in the lifeboat often? Ay, ay, sir, oft enough.

When it's rougher than this? Lor' bless you! this ain't what we calls rough!

It's when there's a gale a-blowin', and the waves run in and break

On the shore with a roar like thunder and the white cliffs seem to shake;

When the sea is a hell of waters, and the bravest holds his breath

As he hears the cry for the lifeboat -- his summons maybe to death --

That's when we call it rough, sir; but, if we can get her afloat,

There's always enough brave fellows ready to man the boat.

George Robert Sims. 1847-1922.

Captain Adolph B Danielson.Stll trying to fnd the names of the Abana crew.

Now thinking he settled in America and got married,will come back to this at a future time.

Taking so much time.Will research further later.

Getting info that the lifeboat was pulled by 6 horses that night.

abana_shipwrecked.jpgabana_1874.jpgabana_bell.jpgThe Ships bell,now in St Andrews church,first given to a Cleveleys hotel.

Abana.jpg

Now i feel i am diversifying a little to much away from the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester Lifeboat,so will return and focus back on it.I have tales to tell,and much more to say on Bruce Allen,a special man whose story needs telling.So people can remember this man as time goes by,for decades to come.He is a modest man who only wants one thing,as i have told.Does not care about publicity but deserves much.So i will tell a story about him.

I still have photos that people have not seen before and will get round to them.And prepare for some shocks,tales of journeys to unusual places,misty journeys,desolate places,the smell of salt air,narrow channels with strong currents that put fear into you,and if you fell would not be seen again. Mystery,strange photos with no real explanation.Pictures of boats you would not believe.Walks down narrow lanes,to fields in search of things even a Unicorn appeared,now that was unusual,even for myself.Especially when they appear out of the mist.

And much much more.

So remember i am just the teller of this Tale Of The Shoreline,rooting about a touch that is all.

One last thought today.I believe there were 11 shipwrecks in the Irish Sea during World War 1.

Whether hit by Submarines torpedoed or other.

Is there any connection anyone knows of to the Samuel Fletcher to any rescues during that time.

Or any launches at that time.

Just a thought.Maybe they were all away on Naval Duties.The crew.

Edited by tawnyowl

Time to start moving again with the story. http://translate.google.co.uk/

I have decided to write Bruce's story a bit at a time throughout the thread.

They are all so interesting,some Top Secret in the real mention of the word.So were not told to me.Official Secrets Act etc.

Tonight i will start with a funny one.

Also going to talk about Hostlers-People who looked,or were employed to look after horses

And also the vehicle,the Bogey the lifeboats were carried on back in the 1800s.

And some pictures.Never seen before.So as the evening carries on things will progress.

You can see the Bogey, below the Lifeboat and the horses.This will become important as the night goes on.

Look at the wheels. The back ones were perhaps 6 feet high, 182 CM steel rims,10 inch 25CM or thereabouts wide so the lifeboat could travel across the sand.Not sink

It is not hard,even now to see where Horses were kept in Towns and cities in Great Britain.In the1800s.

You only have to mention the word Mews.

1. A row or street of houses or apartments that have been converted from stables or built to look like former stables.
  2. A group of stables, typically with rooms above, built around a yard or along an alley.

220px-DauntRescueGribble.png554px-Royal_National_Lifeboat_Institution_-_Punch_cartoon_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_14845.png

Right before i get things really moving.Here is the first story of Bruce Allen,whose importance in the story of the Samuel Fletcher i feel cannot be underestimated.

He has some medical problems,but is happy although at times in pain.

Talking to him the other day he told me many stories of his life.That i have stored and will not forget.

Here is a light one to begin with.The doctor told him to only smoke 5 cigarettes a day.

So Bruce being the man he is,does just that.He produced one of his rolled up cigarettes,each one 10 inches long.

How many he has stored,you can only guess.

Also told me how corned beef was made,which i did not know.

Cooked in the tin.flavor and sterile,locked in.In great ovens,talked about how he had eaten a tin from 1947,sell by dates do not mean much to him.Enjoyed it too.Back in the 70s i seem to remember.More will be told throughout the thread.

Back to the story.

The horses used as you can imagine,when a shout went up for the lifeboat were drawn quickly from many places.

As far as i know,they were not staying next to the Lifeboat perhaps near the crew who must have lived and worked nearby.

There must have been hundreds of horses to call upon.In the heat of the moment they were pulled off the shoreline.anywhere that was nearby and had a horse available must have been drawn upon,harnessed up and off they went racing to the rescue.

Raging winds,slates,god knows what flying around,off they all went.The crew racing to the lifeboat.What must they have thought.Can you imagine getting to the Shoreline.Let us try to think,paint a picture what it was like,still is i suppose,no doubts,it must be,let us imagine what a man must have seen.Think,try,probably impossible but let us try.

Somewhere out at sea,a severe gale,approaching hurricane even has blown up.

A ship and men on board although calm,deep inside them they worry.The skys are black,the waves break over the ship.Cold hail,thunder snow,sleet a mixture.The captain perhaps,fighting to stay in control.

The ship,the snow,sleet the mixture of everything these storms can throw at you is beginning to freeze.The decks are slippery.

Perhaps the masts had ice forming,icicles forming dropping to the deck.Smashing in all directions.Maybe the spray was freezing even.The sails with the ice,ripping.Hell really.

Even freezing on the mens clothes.Their beards,their hair turning white with the cold.

Do not forget at these times,no lifeboats as such no engines.The ship is tossed about like a leaf falling from a tree in a Autumn storm,but this is 3 days before Christmas Day.Winter.The coldest in memory.

The waves are mountainess,the ship going up and down facing the oceans might.Waves you can not see over.

Suddenly the sails are torn,ripped off with the might of the storm.

Now powerless at the mercy of the storm.

This goes on for hour after hour,what were they thinking of.I should imagine many of them at times like this were thinking of their families back home.All real hope of riding out the storm gone.They knew their fate was sealed,in others hands.

Lookouts perhaps,knowing these waters were keeping watch from shore,looking out for ships in trouble,flares noise anything..

Suddenly one spots the ship in the distance or the flare,perhaps seen one before and knows what to do.

Whether flares were sent up,cannon fired or a rider sent to the lifeboat station i can not say at this time.

But the message was delivered.

The lifeboat crewmen,how they got to the lifeboat i do not know yet,but many perhaps were working nearby.

Perhaps even had horses of their own,and raced to the lifeboat.

By this time,by the time they got to the lifeboat i should imagine many things were already underway.

Horses rearing,men appearing,horses and harnesses being attached to the lifeboat,the bogey in place.

Chaos and calmness,trepidation,of what was to come.Adrenalin must have been flowing through the veins of these brave men,there is no doubt,and i dare say,the same today.Do not forget a storm was raging on land as well.

Things being blown about,hardly hear what the man next to you was saying.

I cannot say how long before the Lifeboat was ready,perhaps ten minutes before with a shout of they raced through the howling gale to the Shoreline.

When arriving at the shoreline what did they see.I can almost hear the hooves of perhaps four or six horses,the Bogey with the Lifeboat creaking and rattling as they raced along.The men on board.They must have been holding on for dear life.

Perhaps giving each other a silent look.The look that does not need speech to convey a thought.

At the shoreline whether tide in or out,the first look at the mountainess seas,the sand perhaps blowing.

Even one particle of sand in these conditions,these winds feel like a needle piercing your skin.It stings.

I have felt this,even moving in these conditions is hard enough.The wind you feel is going to blow you over.You can hardly move.

I have seen myself what looks like a blizzard on the prom,caused by foam from the sea.Perhaps this also was about.

So imagine in those days what it might have felt like.Driving hail and the rest,vertical hitting you.

Lifeboat and men unhitched from the Horses and Bogey finally put to sea,in conditions,well i personally can not imagine.But buffeted about,somehow managing to put the oars out and drive on towards the ship.What must this have felt like.The journey that took perhaps 1 hour or more.We can try .Waves perhaps 10 feet or more

When arriving at the ship perhaps Leeward away from the worst of the storm,next to the ship now,can you think of the skill needed to control the Lifeboat at this time. The ship still tossing and turning,bedlam all around,panic,stress all around.What were the lifeboatmen feeling.

The crew of the ship must have felt relief,perhaps these hard men had tears in their eyes.

Some had been shipwrecked before and must have felt this time my time is up.On my way to Davey Jones locker.

Sliding down ropes into the Lifeboat.Saved from the perils of the sea..

Then the drive back to land which also must have been one hell of a journey,tiredness,aching limbs,still fighting the elements.,still at risk,the boat with the extra weight sometimes scraping the sea floor,up and down with the height of the waves,getting soaked through,men pulling on the oars.Many by this time must be waiting on the shoreline.families,friends,well wishers half the town i should imagine.No matter what the conditions these brave men go out,even to this day.

Well that is the best i can do for now.Remember that is a guess of what things might have been like.Only the date is a fact.Kept for another time.When a story that crossed my path is on my mind.The Mexico.

It is now time to tell you of a journey i made last week in search of something and found.

If tonight i do not manage to put pictures on i will tomorrow.In fact i am gong to chill for a while the pictures i will put on tomorrow.Tiredness has caught up on me.You cannot fight that too long.10-45pm Tues

4-15am- Wednesday woke up thinking about things,also had connection problems so will put the photos on later today.

Hi CitizenB spotted your post, the photos archive ones where possible i find on the web-either RNLI or elsewhere.

I acknowledge or will if not already as the thread continues.Like they do on certain stories elsewhere.This is pretty new to me.There will be plenty more of mine.But happy to share anywhere.

Also people like The historian at Liverpool Football club sent me links and pictures to use.

Kjell Hanssen, football historian

The photos i will put on shortly are mine.But i do not feel this way.To be shared anywhere.

And i feel perhaps will show things where they should not be.If anyone wants to copy them.Feel free.

I am not going to watermark them or things like that.

Maybe to some not a big thing,but to myself and perhaps others i feel they should be.

I would like them perhaps to make a small contribution to the RNLI,or the Samuel Fletcher fund.However as this as far as i know is not yet organised.Well i will leave it to them to decide whether to hold for a while.

As i say this is all new to me,things are happening perhaps as i write,history in the making perhaps.

I have been searching in America,looking through records,sometimes you fall asleep at the computer.So time consuming,and mentally tiring.I will research all the crew of shipwrecks of all nationalities,all the lifeboat crews connections to the Fylde Coast, Canada,America,Scandinavia so many places.I know at the moment i have concentrated on one crew member but will cover them all as time goes on.Maybe the old owl,will write a book,who knows.Of course if i do,all net profit goes to the RNLI or maintenance of the Samuel Fletcher Lifeboat in Blackpool. ,why not.But the first will be about the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester,the crew their lives,rescues they made,their families,everything possible.And Bruce Allen will be mentioned as well.I am beginning to work out things about the Lifeboat as time goes by.And Bruce is a massive part of it.The story of the Lifeboat is so interesting.So many twists and turns yet to be told.

I am sensing something about Bruce,there is a lot to be told yet,and will be.

Forget the idea of Stanley Park and the notion i had about sailing there again.The Lifeboat is to important for that now.

I would like as Bruce would to see the Lifeboat restored and pulled through the Streets of Blackpool by horse,once more to sail on the Irish Sea then put somewhere safe,complete with the stories of ships it has rescued crews,artefacts many things,for people across the world to wonder,gaze and feel the history.,bravery of this historic vessel.

It is now time to put some photos on.Just let me alter the story above a little.And bring something forward i wrote before. .

First of all i am going to bring some pictures of a Bogey,that carried Lifeboats.Take note of the wheels.

ih1612_lifeboat4.gifih1612_lifeboat2.gif

Edited by tawnyowl

This is very interesting indeed, TO. Do you own these archive photos ?

BCOBS

Prepare for some shocks,tales of journeys to unusual places,misty journeys,desolate places,the smell of salt air,narrow channels with strong currents that put fear into you,and if you fell would not be seen again. Mystery,strange photos with no real explanation.Pictures of boats you would not believe.Walks down narrow lanes,to fields in search of things even a Unicorn appeared,now that was unusual,even for myself.Especially when they appear out of the mist.

.While on one of my searches i came across these.

.Are these the front wheels of the Bogey that carried the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester Lifeboat over 110 years ago.Can you believe this picture.Also there part of the carriage.I believe the back wheels over 2 metres 6 feet high are also in the area.Even ,as you can see may not be used again,but who knows,modern preservatives could stop any more decay and be displayed with the lifeboat when restored..Sure to come back to this at a future time.

10352546126_a6fd3686c6_m.jpg9k=9k=Picture434_zps4951840b.jpg?t=1382089690

15-45 Sat 19/10/2013 Just editing some more photos to put on.Showing the inscriptions on J Parkinsons resting place.

9k=

9k=

Edited by tawnyowl

A lighter post for a moment.Here is a boat in the area that even i will admit is beyond help.Suppose i had better put the Unicorn on as well.And one of the mystery wheels.A thunderstorm raging outside.A suitable time to continue this Tale Of The Shoreline.Thunder like i have seldom heard before.And lightning that lights up all around.Sirens,booming all around.People rushing soaked,warm because of the southerly winds,caught many out.

I may perhaps put slideshows on soon..I have so many photos.

8a997b86-ba58-4891-8036-6a3116928037_zps1ec5b965.jpg?t=13821953437e743161-7eea-4264-9bc3-dc25134c5f73_zpsb5683be8.jpg?t=1382206698fb2c8231-698e-4175-a182-90ef8b9f24d0_zpsc3926750.jpg?t=13822014755f2ffbfe-3e7e-4f5e-857a-34fda6548aab_zps7f246d27.jpg?t=1382207236

Picture404_zps34e612c7.jpg?t=1382108278

Edited by tawnyowl

J Parkinsons resting place showing the stonework and lettering that needs some letters replacing.

d0c6fbd3-a9c2-4fc8-8e3a-9d0805d09c72_zps618038eb.jpg?t=1382197233d8ea6a9c-2adb-4a12-9e08-6f83fb076bdb_zpsa5a6791c.jpg?t=1382206018f2c33bb0-acaf-4b2f-8d71-e1a01af67ab4_zps89e4cb14.jpg?t=1382202621cb0d64d0-2232-4eac-a5d5-d376beff5819_zps977adbd1.jpg?t=13822034598cb934f5-711e-4e5f-9306-7e10fe46738d_zpsb8c7a78a.jpg?t=1382203019

I shall leave John for now,just a short piece about his life then till another time till we meet again.I will return.

He demands respect. A wonderfully carved memorial. The lead lettering is peeling - in a few years it will be indecipherable.

http://stonechaser.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/arnold-parkinson.html

Tomorrow walking the Shoreline if weather is fair.This is where the story began for me.

One hot day in July.2013.

Many thoughts will go through my mind tomorrow as i pass certain places.

Parkinson+entry.JPGmedal.JPGPage+1,+R+of+H.jpg

Edited by tawnyowl

Sunday 20/10/2013 17-38

Time to look at the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester lifeboat a different way.

I feel like i have hardly scratched the surface.Tea has just arrived,fish i might have guessed.Can not get away from the sea.

Lifeboat delivered to Blackpool 1896.A leap year i believe.

Boar war-Battle of Doornkop South Africa-Boars beat Dr Jamesons troops

Utah admitted as 45th state.

1st car in Detroit-horseless carriage

Marines land in Nicaragua to protect US citizens

Modern Olympics began in Athens, Greece

1st Olympic games close at Athens, Greece

1st edition of London Daily Mail (halfpenny)

1st horseless carriage show in London (featured 10 models)

Dow Jones begins an index of 12 industrial stocks (closing is 40.94)

Last Czar of Russia, Nicholas II, crowned

1st car accident occurs, Henry Wells hit a bicyclist (NYC)

W S Hadaway patents electric stove

Harvey Hubbell patents electric light bulb socket with a pull chain

Queen Victoria surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest reigning monarch in British history.

The Glasgow Underground Railway is opened by the Glasgow District Subway Company.

The Titanic was not even thought of

The Flying Scotsman neither.

Radio,Telephone were all in early stages people trying to understand the concept.

The first xray had just been carried out.

This lifeboat went through the first World War as a lifeboat and served till 1930 rescuing sailors in distress or searching for them.Not all rescues were successful as i will mention another time.Roughly 40 years service

Then sold to the Council by the RNLI for £70

Then went on Stanley Park lake Blackpool as a tour boat.Till i check the date but over 40 years service

.How much it made would be a guess but seeing the queues of people it must have paid for itself in the first year.

Of course it went through the Second World War as well

Remember Blackpool was the place to be,still is today,but remember Wakes Weeks,people in factories,coal mines,steel works,cotton mills all heading here for rest and fun,clean air,dancing singing and the rest.And this was before aeroplanes taking people to exotic locations.Trains were packed out with people heading here.You could not move.

So thinking of this i believe not only is the Lifeboat a local treasure it is a national treasure.

Think how many of your relatives,fathers,grandfathers,mothers,grandmothers etc have connections to the lifeboat.

There must be tens of thousands of people who have or their relatives have recollections of this boat.

Been on it,seen it or have a story to tell about it.

In the war many military men were here from America,Australia,Poland and Canada also having fun on the breaks they had.Chasing the local girls around no doubt.

There must be thousands of pictures,cine film out there in Great Britain and elsewhere.

Remember Blackpool was the place to be,still is today,but remember Wakes weeks and this was before aeroplanes taking people to exotic locations.Trains were packed out with people heading here.Steam trains at that.I can just about remember them.I remember the old railway station at Central.and North station.

Some of us made a few bob taking holidaymakers luggage to their hotels.6d a shilling,two and six or if they were flush,as they were on the first day having saved all year for this treat ten shillings perhaps.On our own bogeys.

If somethings are seen twice what is meant to be is meant to be.:-)

My memories of the boat are fading in the mists of time.I seem to remember sitting on it once,going round the lake.

A chap,the sea captains look,a white short beard,blue jacket with shiny buttons stood up a captains cap on,blue.Using a beech or oak wheel,similar to this,gives you the idea.May even have been brass.Memories.6516363-ships-wheel.jpg smooth the yacht varnish look with 8 or ten,how can i describe it,small handles is best for now..Guiding it round.

We are talking over 40 years ago.A boat was a boat to a kid.I did not know the history of the Samuel Fletcher..

Remember also these must have been adaptations,alterations,the lifeboat i believe had sails back in the days of service.And of course oars.I will find a picture soon.

Which i will be telling more of this week.Some of the rescues,the searches,the crew which when you think about it,there must be many of them and people around today who were related to the crew and perhaps do not know.After all over thirty years of rescues how many lifeboatmen must there have been How many sailors did they rescue..On this historic lifeboat the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester.

Edited by tawnyowl

I have just been reading a version of a book over 130 years old telling of many rescues,even the first one by a lifeboat. and telling how before lifeboats came out normal fishing boats were used to try to rescue people.Even before the RNLI was set up.The loss of life was tremendous before lifeboats came out.Tens of thousands a year.

One story hits out the Mexico.What a tragedy.

And the way they wrote in those days,i feel i will have to mention this tomorrow.I have been thinking about it since coming across the story.

The copyright has run out and i will put the story as people saw it tomorrow then move on.I believe the Blackpool Lifeboat after doing a rescue went to help,or search for survivors,none were found.Probably the worst loss of life ever to befall the RNLI On 9th and 10th Dec 1886.

I must mention the crew of the Mexico were rescued but tragedy happened.

Also mentions how lifeboatmen when setting out by oar and sail in those days used to when arriving back on land used to be covered in ice,can you imagine this,and used to take a hour or more to thaw out.

A few pictures to put on till later today.

Time 00.28 23/10/2013.

The St. Annes Lifeboat, Laura Janet. . . .

. . . . on service on 5 occasions prior to the disaster, saving 6 lives on December 4th.

laura_janet.jpg

The Lytham Lifeboat, Charles Biggs. . . .

. . . .the boat's first time in service, she brought the crew of the Mexico ashore.

charles_biggs.jpg

The Southport Lifeboat, Eliza Fernley. . . .

. . . . on service 11 times prior to the disaster, saving 52 lives besides rendering assistance to one vessel.

eliza_fernley.jpg

The wreck of the Mexico.

mexico.jpg

Sold for 45 pounds, restored then 4 years later lost in Scottish Waters.

Wednesday 23/10/2013 9-57..

Just putting this down for now,i probably will add more tonight

It was on a wild December night that the ship Mexico of Hamburg, bound for Liverpool, was driven helplessly before a storm of exceptional fury, and eventually struck upon a sandbank between Southport and Formby.

The crew finding the water breaking over their vessel sent up signals of distress, which were responded to from three parts of the coast.

Three lifefeboat crews, those of Southport, Lytham, and St. Anne's, put out to the rescue.

When the signals of distress were seen at the latter place rockets were sent up from the lighthouse to summon the crew,

thirteen in number, who were scattered along the coast as far away as Lytham.

The Laura Janet was run out from the boat-house, and, when the time for embarkation came, it was found that eight of the crew were in their places.

Four volunteers stepped forward to take the seats of the absent men, and at the last moment William Johnson, the coxswain, drove up hastily from a distance, and took charge of the expedition.

The men, doubtless, were in good spirits, for they had fresh in their minds the successful rescue of the crew of the Yean- Yean but it is said that the sub-coxswain, Charles Tims, a fisherman of undoubted bravery and a notable man on the coast, seemed to recognise something of un- usual gravity in the task they had undertaken.

Among the volunteers was the Scotch captain who had so recently been rescued, but his services not being needed he was not allowed to go.

A little crowd of anxious and interested onlookers watched the successful launching of the boat, and sent after her a cry of * God-speed ' as she went on her way.

For a time the light which she carried was visible, showing that she was making brave headway against a terrible sea ;

but soon the last gleam was lost amid the darkness and the storm.

Then for those who remained on the shore there followed a time of anxious watching and waiting.

It was half-past ten when the boat started, and at half-past eleven lights were seen which were supposed to come from some other distressed vessel

Later, other lights were visible which it was hoped were those of the returning boat, but hour after hour passed,

and still no sign was there of the return of those who had gone out to save.

Many of the people in St. Anne's spent the whole of that night on the shore, but all they could see of the position either of the wreck or the rescuers was an occasional rocket.

The morning broke, but still the St. Anne's boat had not returned. It was thought she must have put into some other port.

The wives and mothers of the crew having so recently heard of what had been done by the telephone, flocked to Mr. Macara's house to inquire if any news had been received

. At length by this means the terrible tidings were conveyed that the bodies of some of the lifeboat-men had been washed up on the opposite shore

. A little later, too, a confirmation of the news came in a form which was highly dramatic.

A lifeboat, which was recognised as that of Lytham, was seen making her way to the shore,

but before she could touch the land, a horseman rode through the waves to meet her,

and it was he who returned to tell the anxious crowd the terrible message she had brought.

Then it became known definitely, that of the three boats which had gone out that of Lytham only had returned safely

, bringing with her the rescued men, but the boats of Southport and St. Anne's had both been capsized.

Of the former, thirteen men had been lost out of a crew of fifteen, and of the latter, not a man had escaped.

Then followed a scene of wailing and lamentation among the widows and orphans of the drowned men which it is need- less to dwell upon here,

but which will not soon be forgotten by those who witnessed it

In time the ill-fated Laura Janet was found not far from the wreck and brought back to the boat-house, and one by one the bodies of the drowned men were recovered and laid in the churchyards of St. Anne's and Lytham.

At this time the Institution had been in existence for sixty-two years, but no such catastrophe had ever before occurred;

indeed, the record of lives lost when on service is marvellously small considering the terrible risks that have to be faced by these gallant men,

who are ever ready at any hour of the day or night to face the perils of the deep in their noble life-saving work.

As the news of a disaster of such magnitude, and of the heroism and self-sacrifice with which it had been marked,

spread through the country, men's hearts were moved to sympathy with the bereaved,

and in little over a fortnighta magnificent sum of was collected,

a sum more than sufficient to amply provide for those who were thus made widows and orphans.

The late German Emperor, William i., sent ;£25o, which was distributed among the bereaved by the German Consul, along with ;;^i40o from Hamburg,

the port from which the ill-fated Mexico had sailed.

Mr. Macara took an active and prominent part in the raising and distribution of the relief fund

; and was after- wards appointed chairman of the St. Anne's Lifeboat Disaster Committee.

He was thus led to devote himself in many ways to the cause of the lifeboat service, one aim in view being to make provision,

by means of enlarged and permanent resources, for such emergencies as this.

Though it was confessedly a satisfactory thing for him to have helped to raise money for the sufferers by this calamity,

yet as a business man he could not help feeling that it was not desirable to rely upon such spasmodic efforts, inasmuch as,

owing to peculiar circumstances, in one place it might be overdone, at another it might be quite inadequate

, and in a third there might be nothing done at all.

For instance, a lifeboat-man in some quiet fishing-village, where there was no one to take a lead in raising a fund, might lose his life

, and the widow and family have to be satisfied with the ;^ioo that is granted by the Institution, which, after all,

is a wretched sum wherewith to compensate them for the loss of the bread-winner.

It became a conviction in the mind of Mr. Macara that the funds of the Institution ought to be sufficiently large to enable the committee to deal adequately with all cases of this kind, and that all should be treated with equal fairness.

He maintained that every lifeboat-man who risks his life to rescue others should have the satisfac- tion of knowing that, if he never returns,

those who are de- pendent upon him will not suffer pecuniary loss through his self-sacrifice.

So deep was this conviction, that Mr. Macara determined that, as soon as he could afford the time, he would do something to arouse interest in this direction,

as well as in many others affecting the service generally. In this determination we may recognise the germ of the * Life- boat Saturday ' movement.

In administering the Relief Fund it was thought that, beyond affording assistance to those who were sufferers,

some- thing should be done to perpetuate the memories of those who had so bravely laid down their lives

, and at St. Anne's this took the form of a statue, which is now to be seen on the promenade there.

Monuments of this kind sometimes fail in the purpose for which they are intended by reason of some fault in taste or form,

but that cannot be said of the sculptor's work in this case.

It is at once picturesque and appropriate. Upon the pedestal, which bears the names of the thirteen drowned men,

there stands the dignified figure of a lifeboat-man fully equipped for his work, and who is shown looking seaward with one hand resting upon a life- buoy,

while in the other he holds a life-line slung over his shoulder.

It is appropriate, too, as giving individuality to the figure, that the face is made to show the lineaments of that of the dead coxswain.

It was in accordance, too, with the fitness of things that in the ceremonial accompanying the unveiling of the statue

, which took place in May 1887, not only were the crews of the lifeboats on the coast present, but the military service was represented in volunteer and other forms.

The men who man our lifeboats are all volunteers ; and those fisher- men of St. Anne's and Southport who now lie in their graves might perhaps have been living yet if they had thought that the lines of their duty were limited to the following of their own occupations.

In as true a sense as soldiers do, they risked their lives in the public service, Ex-Coxiwain of the lifebcal Bradford, Ram^ate. Kcnl ;

now and it is gratifying that the identity of purpose should be recognised.

Not the least interesting part of the proceedings was the naming of a new lifeboat, an anonymous gift, but which, it was desired, should be called The Brothers,

However the name may have originated, it is peculiarly appropriate. It suggests that sense of the brotherhood of humanity upon which all saving of life is founded,

and in this connection it is interesting to reflect that the rescued crew of the Mexico were not Englishmen.

It has sometimes happened that memorials have been set up to commemorate doubtful events, but no visitor to the Lancashire coast will so regard this one.

It stands there to him an evidence that among the fishermen who sail these seas there are those who, though they may not have heard of that hero,

are imbued with the same spirit which made the brave Horatius say of himself as he kept the bridge

— * To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds.'

It is one of the hopeful features of a great catastrophe of this kind in which * many stalwart souls of heroes went down into Hades,'

that there are those left who are not deterred from daring the same fate.

A new lifeboat is found, and immediately there is another crew ready to man her.

The catastrophe with which we have been dealing had the effect of drawing attention to the Royal National Life- boat Institution

, and, doubtless, with some temporary bene- ficial results to its finances, but there was no element of permanency in the interest thus induced ;

the subsequent reports disclosing large differences between income and expenditure, and in the wrong direction

, so that it became necessary to send forth special appeals for assistance.

Meanwhile, Mr. Macara, who had become Chairman of the St. Anne's Branch of the Institution, had also found time to make a study of the general financial position of this life-saving service, the result being anything but satisfactory.

On examination of the annual report for the year 1890, he found that the subscriptions, donations, and contributions from branches only amounted to about ;£'2 1,000; special gifts for specified lifeboat stations to another ^^5000 ; and that the total income, including dividends and interest on the accumulated funds from legacies (which are frequently trusts left for special purposes) amounted to a little over ;^42,ooo, whereas the expenditure during that year amounted to nearly ;^76,oco.

On going into matters a little more closely he was astonished to find that two-thirds of the income of this, the only institution of its kind for saving life at sea,

had been contributed, for many years prior to 1890, either by bequests or gifts of boats, by a yearly average of about one hundred persons ;

and that not more than about 25,000 out of the many millions who con- stitute this great maritime nation contributed to its support at all.

He discovered also that, in many cases, through want of proper knowledge on the part of the donors, bequests and gifts were hampered with conditions which had the effect of considerably reducing their value, and so the Institution appeared to be in a much better position, financially, than it really was.

Moreover, he found that the average contributions from the branches of the Institution, including all the large cities and towns throughout the country,

amounted to an average of about ;^35 per annum.

These disclosures led him to conclude that the whole financial position was as precarious as anything could be,

and he therefore decided to make use of the experience he had gained in raising the Lifeboat Disaster Fund with a view to a special appeal of his own,

those of the Institution having failed to bring about the desired results.

To this end, on the 23rd July 1 891, he addressed a communication to the press of the country which produced a large number of very able editorial notices,

advocating the claims of the Institution ; the appeal ran thus :

* I think the British public generally have very little idea that one of the noblest of the numerous philanthropic institutions in the country is in dire financial straits.

The record of the Royal National Institution since its formation is one of which the nation is justly proud, as by its instru- mentality over 3S,ooo lives have been saved at sea, and the many deeds of heroism which have been chronicled in connection with its operations are the envy of the whole civilised world.

Having a seaside residence on one of the most dangerous parts of the Lancashire coast,

I have had opportunities of witnessing the conspicuous gallantry of our Lifeboat men that do not fall to the lot of many.

It has also been my painful experience to be prominently associated with the most terrible disaster that ever befell the Lifeboat service,

when the whole of the St Anne's crew were swept away, and all but two of the brave men who manned the Southport boat returned no more.

The great power of the Press was never better illustrated than on that memorable occasion, as, mainly by the pathetic appeals that were made through it, considerably over ;^3o,ooo was raised for the widows and children of the drowned men.

The late German Emperor, William i., was so much touched with this disaster that he sent ^250 for distribution amongst the bereaved.

Such a magnificent result has emboldened me to appeal once more by the same means to the public on behalf of this great national institution,

which is sorely in need of funds.

The deficit last year assumed alarming proportions, viz. ^33,000, and unless the country is roused to supply the necessary means the Institution's operations

will be very seriously curtailed.' After this appeal was issued money began to flow in immediately from one source or another, to a limited extent,

but the first important result accrued from the appeal having fallen into the hands of Mr. H. J. Palmer, the editor of The Yorkshire Post^ when that gentleman was on a holiday tour.

He was so much impressed with what he read that he was induced to pay a visit to St. Anne's-on- the-Sea, and, to use his own words,

his blood was stirred by seeing the characteristic and unique monument erected to the memory of the drowned lifeboat crew.

This inspired him to pen one of the most pathetic and forcible appeals on behalf of a noble cause that has ever been issued, entitled

* Man the Lifeboat,' part of which we shall here quote :

— ' On the wind-swept slope that faces the sandy shallows of the estuary of the Ribble, off St. Anne's-on-the-Sea, stands one of the most pathetic memorials ever erected to British heroism. High upon a lock pedestal is the rough figure of a stalwart lifeboat-man, booted and belted as for such life and death work as three noble crews put out upon that deadly triangle of water and sand and reef to per- form, or to perish in per- forming, on the night of December 9, 1886.

The silent figure looks straight out to sea, as though watching for a fresh usk of peril upon the fatal Horse Bank, whose whirl- ing flood swept over a score of comrades into the lower deeps at a swoop.

In the tranquil summer days thousands of city folk, who never saw an angry sea, swarm over this vast marine tableland, to praise the "safety" of its sands, as they paddle through the wavelets, and to prattle of the pretty curling crests of the " white horses that leap over the ridges which mark the ocean graves of the bravest of British hearts.

To do them justice, no adult loiterer among them looks up at the belted hero and reads the legend beneath without adding something to the little heap of casual coins that lie at the bottom of the pillar-box of the National Lifeboat Institution at the foot of the monument. But the pity — nay, the scandal — of it is that some such dramatic memorial is needed to bring the claim of a great and unbought National Service home to the inlander's mind and heart, and that for the million who can afford a yearly mite to sustain it, the statue of the lifeboat- man is as unknown and unregarded as it is for the children who play " tig " around its base. .

. . The harvest of the sea hereabouts is not rich enough to maintain any extensive fishing fleet.

Two score families probably furnish the three crews. Yet, when six-and-twenty gaps were made in this little lifeboat force, six-and-twenty other fearless fellows were straightway found to fill them, to face the risks anew, and maintain the ancient honour of their race, their craft, and their coast-line, even though in many a case the body of a father or a brother lay but half a dozen fathoms below them as they bent themselves to a fresh effort of rescue.

The name of Parkinson occurs twice in the list of those who perished in the attempt to save the German crew in December 1886.

It occurs half a dozen times in the list of their successors.

The National Lifeboat Service is " sup- ported by voluntary contributions." These stupendous sacrifices of fathers, husbands, brothers are the "voluntary contributions " which the humble homes of a stormy estuary make towards the maintenance of the noblest volunteer force in the world. And they are made without appeal

and without a second call. When will the shillings and half-crowns of the "gentlemen of England who live at home at ease,"

which are so urgently needed to pay the mere routine charges, be forthcoming with half the readi- ness with which these gallant men tender their lives ?

Edited by tawnyowl

Well had a while away.Been walking the Shoreline yesterday or trying to.Rather windy to put it mildly.

The sand was blowing about the particles hitting you with force that stings.Wind did not stop you moving but certainly let you knew it was about.

From a place called Gynn Square to the end of North Pier.I will put a picture on today.High tide,a interesting place the end of a pier when there is a storm far out at sea.

Even managed a pint,on the pier,very pleasant,while waiting for high tide-4-30PM .

Many photos of the pier,so many links and features going back to Victorian times.

I have been trying to get some news that is fresh,to mix it up with history.Pictures and news that have not been seen before.

Well i may have some.I have been to see Bruce and taken a few pictures of Bruce and the oars.From the Samuel Fletcher.Sometimes i feel i am disturbing him but he is always helpful and i have to do this.As is his wonderful wife.Mind you i should perhaps give more notice,i get a idea in my head next minute i am heading to wherever, many times Bruce's door..He is vital i feel to the story as it develops.

15 feet long each or,nearly 5 metres.Imagine a piece of wood that nearly reaches your gutters on your house and when spread out both together stretch nearly 10 metres.30 feet across. And when you hold them,so heavy,how did they use these for hours at a time.Maybe days.Of course the sails must have helped at times.Now of course how long sometimes were these lifeboats at sea.Water was needed and fresh at that.So i have another story to put up about Bruce and how he helped develop a idea that is now used by every lifeboat in the world.As i say there is much to Bruce that i do not know.Not a man of mystery but you get feelings of missions that have been undertaken that i will not get to know..

Also a link to a film showing in 1929 these kinds of boats being launched from the beach at Blackpool.

Showing them using the oars.And 1929 was a time that the Samuel Fletcher was still in service.I believe it is there live with the men clearly shown.Probably its last year of service.

Showing the Big Wheel and the Tower nearly 100 years ago.And the Royal Navy.And hundreds of people.

If the year is 1929 i believe this is the year they pulled the big wheel down.

Also Steam Boats ,old boats,the William and Kate Lifeboat of New Brighton now there's a coincidence.

Also shows the Bogeys,showing on one that they also used wood wrapped round the steel wheels.

And people jumping from a ship into a net on the William and Kate,just throwing themselves,and sliding down ropes to safety.The smaller lifeboats with sails in attendance.Even jumping into the sea..Being rescued by smaller lifeboats complete with sail and oars.

Makes you wonder by how many people were about did the final push to launch come from the people.I read that one man got his pants ripped off during one launch and got a shilling 5p for his troubles.

As i say i am hungry for fresh news to mix in.New pictures.New developments.

You need this to keep motivation,movement of the story.

I am hoping very shortly to meet the Samuel Fletcher of Manchester lifeboat soon.We will see.

And as i research i am beginning to realise how close the Samuel Fletcher was to being destroyed.Perhaps within a couple of days or maybe hours at one time It has to be mentioned.I know in the background there are many people i have not met who have helped the Lifeboat in small and large ways.I just want them to know that.

And these things take hours to write,link up so as the day goes on i will put them all on.Just takes a little time.Today i am off so can get things done.Breakfast first.A nice Kipper perhaps.

I really want to be back on the shoreline not tapping away on a keyboard,never mind.

9-30 now.Will start about 10-30

Back to the story. 10-18

I think first of all i had better put the link to the film.

This is a copyright film.I will be buying it myself to put to personal use.

However people can see it,and decide whether they would like to, by hitting the next link.In a moment.

It is out there in the public view.

Lifeboats launched. Blackpool, Lancashire.

Boats and ships. Launching royal navy lifeboats from beach at Blackpool. Crowd gathered on the beach. Boats rolled toward water on top of. Shots of the lifeboats on wheels being pushed toward water; sliding in. Various types of small boats; crews rowing & putting up sails. A small steam boat comes alongside larger ship; sailors practice emergency evacuation techniques. Several men jump from ship into net on the smaller boat. Then they rig up a conical basket on ropes and men ride in the basket from ship to boat. Shots of 2 men swimming from ship toward small lifeboat; being pulled in. Rescue; disaster; safety;

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/lifeboats-launched

Now i will put the links to the oars of the Samuel Fletcher,the pictures.I hope to get many more shortly.

Bruce was measuring the oar.Came to 15 feet 0r 457.2 CM

26150b09-fbda-45ba-a23a-6ac9805f3ee5_zps97b4cfaf.jpg?t=13829631282a507748-92f3-4969-8814-d219e9bcac87_zpse0619cd1.jpg?t=1382962958

162c32b2-5121-4a73-849d-a7be4dd0f38c_zps1dbb1676.jpg?t=138296416290381c2b-251c-440d-854c-f18b206e2d93_zps0d7bfe7c.jpg?t=138296467692d96ba5-9120-4e75-9438-1b4961b54107_zps20237c94.jpg?t=1382964925cb422822-d497-4ac3-aeee-329073bca30d_zpsabddc1dc.jpg?t=1382965494

I keep when looking at things coming across small pieces of information and stories.

A man shouting at a meeting saying the lifeboat was going to be destroyed.

Then managing between some in a few ways to be saved.

Just how close this came i am not to sure but very very close i feel.

And a name keeps cropping up time and time again.

This from 2012 is the latest.Part of a letter.

I ATTENDED a meeting of the Motor Neurone Association when the guest speaker was Barry Hall from the Civic Trust.

He showed us pictures, both black and white and colour, of the Samuel Fletcher lifeboat.

It was a story to capture the imagination of both young and old.

Our young ones could listen to the story of its wonderful life and be full of pride.

We were told there is no hope for the lifeboat as it needs thousands of pounds spent on restoring it, and it is unfortunately stuck in the car park of Bispham Sea Cadets.

On opening my Gazette, there was the Samuel Fletcher again, this time with an appeal from a gentleman called Bruce Allen, for people like him who thought this should be a cause for us to take on board.

I hope people are responding to Mr Allen.

We have a great deal to be proud of here in Blackpool, and let us show the world what we are capable of. If you think I could help, here I am.

COUN LILY HENDERSON,

St Annes Road,

South Shore

I will move on,partly because so long as what many are wanting is somehow to be achieved no point in dwelling on what has happened in the past.The lifeboat is here and is to be restored.

This is good news.Now when and how soon i will soon find out.Or hope to.

And of course the big question,how much.

I suppose this will only happen when the boat is examined fully.

Which must be soon.The luck the lifeboat has had will continue i hope and will not cost too much.

But however much it costs you get the feeling it will be achieved.

There are many ways if needed to raise a few pounds.

And when you look at the lifeboats history,how many it saved and the brave men who froze,risked their lives,gave their lives, went out in all weathers,still do, in boiling seas heavy foul weather for maybe hours or days at a time it soon becomes clear the cause is just.There is no doubt of that.For today i will put a couple of photos on of yesterdays seas taken at the end of North Pier to what must seem to lifeboatmen a normal day.But to myself and others may think how do they do that.

614a9a69-a918-432d-a9f3-a2cfb3fc642e_zps08d54d11.jpg?t=1382993482

349e4a0a-af60-4de8-acd4-2474ce8c8148_zpse01192e3.jpg?t=1382993816a6b1c728-54ae-4eb4-afbc-c7ef1dfe2a6f_zps3cbecebb.jpg?t=1383000272

What you cannot see or hear on these photos is the wind.You could stand up.But you could feel the power.Imagine going out in this.I feel perhaps i had better put a gentler picture on.I want you to be able to sleep tonight.

c053e46e-4cd6-43ed-b166-f73805986736_zps0d2895eb.jpg?t=138299976811aef708-bf04-4477-8ae6-9d9c4b920b8a_zps21ea0ae6.jpg?t=1383000702

Edited by tawnyowl

What this story this one is really about is the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester Lifeboat.

Its history being the oldest surviving oar,sail driven lifeboats in Great Britain if not the world.Altered in ways over time.

The lifeboats restoration,brought back to how it was,complete with oar positions,and sail.

Then brought back to Blackpool,pulled through the streets by horses as in Victorian times and perhaps one more sail on the Irish Sea then to a new home.

How much it will cost,when it will commence..If a fund is needed when will this happen.So we can put links on to a fund if needed.

The sooner the better we know these things the sooner we can get started with ideas if needed,maybe funding is not needed i do not know.

I can keep writing about its history for as long as needed,and some mistakes,like which lifeboat went to rescue which crew from which ship may occur.And of course people will pick up on these as they have done for years.

But my story is really about its restoration,the new part of the story.

So until i find these things out i am going to slow down a touch.

I am hoping to photograph the lifeboat shortly and i feel i need to do this before it moves away.So the story is current.Up to date and moving along.

I will leave the exact history the crew,which rescues to experts.Which will as time goes on be included wherever in Blackpool its resting place will be.

Probably with pictures,artefacts from many ships it saved. for people to read and enjoy its history living on as time marches by..

I hope to find things out shortly.For now i am going to try to find out these things.

Hope to be back soon.I will try to be back as quickly as i can but may take a little time.If any news occurs i will update.

I believe there is a friends of Samuel Fletcher Lifeboat group maybe there is a meeting soon.

Edited by tawnyowl

If anyone wants to contact me about anything to do with the Samuel Fletcher Of Manchester Lifeboat my details are below.

Maybe you have some pictures some video after all the lifeboat was on Stanley Park Lake Blackpool for over 40 years i believe.

There may be thousands of pictures out there in Great Britain and elsewhere.

Or latest news,meetings anything at all will be gratefully received.

My email is [email protected]

My mobile is 07979900167.

Thankyou.The story is warming up,just takes a little time to bring to the boil.

I know there are people i have yet to meet,perhaps talk to.I will not leave you out.

Many must have a tale to tell after all those years.

Maybe you are a relative of one of the brave men who sailed on the Samuel Fletcher.

My part of the story began with a walk on the shoreline one hot day in July 2013.

I wonder what will happen next.

A Tale Of The Shoreline i want to see through that is all.

So are you setting up a trust / group to collect funds and restore the Samuel Fletcher, TO ?

BCOBS

Hi citizenB

I believe there are others involved in this part of the story. Maybe the council who must own it.

I think i have been moving too quickly.I have not met anyone yet.Apart from Bruce.

There must be much going on behind the scenes.There is i believe a friends of the Samuel Fletcher group that has meetings.When the last one was i do not know.Or the next one.But will probably be soon..Some have my phone and email and say as soon as anything happens we will let you know straight away.And a meeting with the lifeboat as well,i can hardly wait for that.That will give me another page of news,photos etc.Watch its transformation from what it is today.To what it will become.

This part is important to me,any photos,meetings can be written about and keep the story going.Moving.

Perhaps i have been rushing a little too much.You hear things then research and read the stories and can not believe the lifeboat does not already have pride of place somewhere in Blackpool.

It affects you emotionally when you look at its history.The crew and rescues it made.I think i need to calm down a touch. Perhaps i get carried away at times.Want things done in a flash.Perhaps a little to pushy at times.

But i feel this is best for now to find out the latest news.

And how funding if needed is to be found.I can link the story all over the world but first we are now or must be nearing the renovation.

I am just the teller of the tale. And need news to keep my motivation going.To inspire me if that is the word.I am hungry for news..But of course if funding is needed i have many ideas.

And would like to be involved.I will find out more soon i am sure.

Edited by tawnyowl