Disability premium

abc123def
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently receive income related employment support allowance and have been in the support group, (latest ESA50 submitted mid June '13 still awaiting decision so don't know if that has/is changing) and also mid rate care and low rate mobility of disability living allowance.

My son is planning on moving out within the next few months and then I will be living alone. Am I right in thinking there is a premium added to ESA for people living alone if they receive DLA? Please can you tell me what this is and how much it is and who gets it?

I am trying to find out whether this will cover the shortfall in rent that I will have due to the under occupancy charge reduction in housing benefit, it will be one less thing to worry about knowing it can be paid.

Many thanks.

you can get up to £59.50 a week providing you live alone no one gets carers allowance for you and you receive DLA middle rate care you cant download the form though you have to call them up and request this they usually ask the same questions as above it usually takes about 6 weeks for them to process the form once they get it back

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/what-youll-get

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/eligibility

• Confused 1

:abc123def:

Currently £59.50 per week, it's the severe disability premium. Paid directly to a recipient of income related employment n support as part of his/her award.

Can't be paid if anyone's in receipt of carers for you. Main exception to the living alone bit, is if you're living with someone (child, lodger, another disabled person) who can't be reasonably expected to care for you.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview

Severe disability premium is the same for all rates of employment n support (including assessment). Eligibility for the enhanced disability premium is support component, or high rate care of disability living/enhanced rate daily living of personal independence.

Best wishes, Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**

oh just checking, should this results of the latest ESA50 be wrag, is that still the same? Same for both support and wrag groups?

Yes, it's the same, though if you go into WRAG you will lose the enhanced disability premium that you currently receive.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

• 1 month later...

The person caring for me ceased doing so Sunday 10th so I sent off the form to claim the severe disability premium which would have arrived at the DWP Monday 11th which would have been the first day I was eligible for the premium.

My next ESA payment is due 22nd, is this payment in arrears or in advance? I'm trying to work out when I will get an increased payment or if I will be owed a backpayment, does anyone know how long the DWP is likely to take to process it?

I stupidly set up a direct debit to pay the shortfall in rent caused by the under occupancy charge and now have absolutely no money at all. Really it would have been more sensible to wait for the DWP to sort the payments before paying the rent due and let some arrears build up but I absolutely hate debt so just set it up straight away. I'm completely stuffed now if not sorted asap. I have nothing in the fridge at all.

All depends on their level of work - usually two weeks at the quickest but could be much longer if busy - a recent carer's allowance change for us recently took 6 weeks.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Letter arrived this morning saying they are paying me a back payment for last week and that it will go into my account. Checked my account and that small payment went in today so my rent shortfall was paid thankfully. It still leaves me with nothing now but at least I am not in debt and nothing has bounced so won't get bank charges. I am fairly confident that this Friday's ESA payment will be the new higher payment now though. Thanks everyone for your help.

I was flying out of the door when I got the ESA letter so didn't really take it in at the time but re-reading it I think the DWP might have made a mistake.

I phoned the DWP and requested the form to apply for the SDP about 7 days before I knew that my carer would cease caring because I wanted to be on the ball and get the income sorted as the under occupancy charge would kick in straight away. It arrived and I posted it back to them on Saturday 9th November and it arrived there on Monday 11th November. On the form I clearly said that my carer ceased caring on Sunday 10th and I was eligible for the SDP from Monday 11th, so explaining that I was eligible for the SDP from the day the form arrived in the DWP office.

But the letter that has just arrived says they have looked at my ESA claim again due to a recent change and from 2nd Nov my ESA will be X amount per week. It then says they are paying me an interrim payment of Y amount due from 2nd - 8th Nov. My next ESA payment is due this Friday 22nd.

I am thinking that this interrim payment wasn't due to me and they have paid it in error? Perhaps because they have gone from the date I phoned and asked for the form? Despite telling them on the phone that my carer would cease caring on Sun 10th and stating that on the SDP claim form.

Now I am in a panic about being overpaid and it needing to be paid back, and I have absolutely no money at all to pay it back and my rent shortfall wouldn't have been paid had I not been paid this interrim payment. What do I do? I'm pretty sure that payment is a DWP error wouldn't you say?

... What do I do? ...

1. Don't panic.

2. Don't panic.

3. Don't panic.

4. Have a cup of tea.

5. Telephone the DWP for clarification - how they pay you is never straightforward.

6. Have another cup of tea.

7. Don't panic.

8. Don't panic.

9. Relax.

10. Is it lunchtime yet?

It's unlikely they have overpaid you. But, if they have, it's only a wee sum and would be paid back in small repayments.

• 2 months later...

:Life-Goes-On:

The severe disability premium can be paid with any rate of employment n support, including assessment, if;

The claimant's in receipt of a middle or high rate care component of disability living or,

The claimant's in receipt of a daily living component at either standard or enhanced rate of personal independence.

And they live alone (there's a few exceptions) and no one's in receipt of carers allowance for looking after him/her.

Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**

:Life-Goes-On:

Following a successful claim for a daily living component of personal independence, Jobcentreplus should backdate entitlement to a severe disability premium to the date personal independence was awarded.

Doesn't happen automatically cos Jobcentreplus don't always know a claimant's living arrangements. Needs a form (think it's an ESA10) but it's one of the simpler ones.

Margaret.