Old council tax bill.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

I've done a search but still a bit unsure on this.

My partner has got a letter from the council today asking him to call the recovery team about council tax arrears and included 3 statements.

28/08/03 - 31/03/04 - £0.00

01/04/04 - 31/03/05 - £612.48

01/04/05 - 11/08/05 - £0.00

Now, of course this is 9 years ago now, we only keep records going back 5 years so can't prove if it was paid or not, we're not aware of this debt, any debt he may have had was paid as far as he was concerned.

I'm going to phone the council on Monday on his behalf to get more information, but can I have some advise on what I need to ask? I'm getting mixed messages about if Council Tax is indeed enforceable after 6 years or not, it seems to be down to when an LO was obtained?

Thanks.

If the Council have obtained a Liability Order within 6 years of it being due then they may chase for any monies till the cows come home. If no LO was obtained then the debt should be written off. When you speak to the Council youb want proof the LO exists as the onus is on them to prove it. Even if they can prove was obtained it would still be worth asking what their write off policy is.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would also enquire why it has taken them 9 years to make contact over this.

You would need your partner to make it known to the council that you can speak for him, otherwise they wont be able to give you any information.

Would you/partner know if they were on any benefits at this time.

We didn't live together at the time. He was in full time employment for the whole duration, so no, no benefits.

So basically they must have at some point gained a liabilty order between 31/03/05 and 2011? And how would they prove this, I presume they can send us a written copy?

It's crazy it's taken them this long to get in touch, perhaps they know that the chances are people wont have any proof so they can't be contested. He's been on my council tax bill ever since Aug 05, so it's not like they didn't know where he was.