Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    tnook Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2007

Default Re: Very Old Barclaycard Charges

Dusting off the old thread.

I put in a GDPRicon request to Barclays last month and just got a stack of papers (15cm think) of all my data. Well it seemed that way...

Finally Barclays have provided the account/card numbers for my ancient Visa and MasterCard. They had these on record but years ago claimed ignorance and they could not search for statements without them.

The GDPRicon stack came back with a covering letter with an interesting line:"

"Your rights don't cover manual records, or records held in highly structured manual files. So please bear this in mind if you've requested details of older accounts or information that's less likely to be stored in files covered by GDPR."

I looked at the ICOicon website and it seems to contradict this. Feels like Barclays don't want to be bothered going through the microfiches.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Site Team slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2007

Hi Tnook,

Now you have the a/c nos., will you write to BC seeking the older info held on Microfiche ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by slick132 View Post
    Hi Tnook,

Now you have the a/c nos., will you write to BC seeking the older info held on Microfiche ?

Absolutely. There are quite a few late and over limit fees from 1998-2003 on both cards. I can also positively argue they concealed this since they had the account numbers all along and told me they couldn't find them....

Site Team slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132 Highly authoritative slick132's Avatar

I don't think arguing that BC positively concealed data will help with your case. The only payback may come from seeking restitutionary interest if that's what you intend to do.

Do you now have the data for old penalty charges on both a/c's or must you still seek this from BC.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

I am just writing the letter to them pushing for the release of the data, now that I have the account numbers.

Interesting to note they seem to be arguing in the GDPRicon response that microfiche systems are exempt from GDPRicon.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

as they did with the old SARicon system too..

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Will persevere. A bunch for charges from 1998, when I was single and carefree should add up to a nice claim

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Does anyone know where the credit card interest calculator spreadsheets are? The links in the libraryicon are broken.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

no such thing

do you mean the sheets to calculate the interest charged on penalty charges?

cisheet

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...laims-Dec-2011

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Yes that the one. Thanks!!

Do you think I should try claim contractual interest? Have there been any successes?

I just used the spreadsheet and compared the Statutory 8% VSicon Contractual 19.9% on a single 25 charge from July 1998. The difference is staggering.

For 8% = 91.87

For 19.9% = 924.18

there have been successes yes
    see the shelley threads and martin2006 threads

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Will have a look thanks. I think I have about 30-40 charges from back then. Late payment and over limit on two cards. Could get interesting.

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Been reading the Shelley threads. Wow, mind blown. You guys are a great help.

Was interested in the amount of interest to apply for restitutionicon. Slick you mention 29.9% as good number. Crumbs if I apply that then a single 25 charge from 1998 will attract compound interest of 4,678.68. I expect I have about 30 to 40 of these charges, so the total claim could be over 150,000. This will no doubt attract a lot of resistance from BC. Plus won’t it put me out side the small claimsicon track?

I’m willing to give it a go if you can guide me.

Hi Tnook,

Get the necessary data first, then enter it on the Spreadsheet and let us know what the figures look like.

I've always preferred the rate of 24.9% despite what has been claimed in the past. Also, we must bear in mind that the likes of yourself, Shelley, Kate999, etc won their claims years ago and cases since then have been defended.

I've just seen you went through the reclaim process and won some 8 years back - it may be different now and I'll look for more recent cases as examples. Old thread is here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...ACTUAL-INT-T**

Also, anything reclaimed over 10K carries greater risks :-

1. The case may be more vigorously defended by a bank who cares nothing about the legal costs they incur.

2. The risk of costs going against you are greater with cases NOT heard on the small claimsicon track of the county courticon system.

3. The costs involved increase significantly on Fast and Multi Track claims.

I'll come back with links to more recent cases later .............

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Thanks Slick, appreciate the help. First battle is getting the old statements.

I know how precious they are about their microfiche system.

If they refuse to release data because it's on Microfiche, you can complain to the ICOicon or you could take direct court action seeking nominal damages for failure to comply with the SARicon. I assume you will now complain at their failure to disclose the data re charges on your B a/c.

This was a case from earlier this year - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...=1#post5097754

It starts part-way through the claim but you should take time to read it right through.

On reflection, Johnhn should perhaps have accepted the offer and not continued the claim JUST to have the default removed. The change of judges may also have played a part in the case being lost but that's always a risk.

Get the data and read through the whole of Johnhn's thread.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Just read Johnhn's tread. Feel really bad for him and annoyed that a judge who is ignorant of the regulations and law can just do that.

The lessons I am taking from this are firstly I'll be sensible about settling if it's the right thing to do. Secondly learn everything about how credit card charges are not covered by the OFT VSicon Nationwide case, so that I can argue it strongly in court if needed.

Are there anymore recent examples of BC successfully defending claims?

Hi TN,

I can't recall any other recent threads (in the last 5 years) where BC successfully defended.

I've just moved a couple more threads into the Barclays Successes forum - cases (probably) won by HPMum and Martin2006 but can't say for sure due to confidentialityicon clauses.

Thanks !
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Still waiting for BC statements/transactions.

Meanwhile started a similar thread on old Cahoot charges:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...41#post5135041

Basic Account Holder
    tnook Novitiate

Time limitations.

I know we tend to rely on Kleinworth to overcome the 6 yearsicon limitation, but I was reading there is a 3, 6 and 15 year limitation which the banks will use to get cases dismissed. See links below from the MSE forum and practical law site.

Is this a problem for older claims?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...=156#topofpage

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreute...cp=1&comp=pluk

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details