Very Old Barclaycard Charges ***Settled by way of Tomlin Order***

tnook
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a reply from Barclaycard regarding my 1998-2003 SAR request.

They claim not to be able to find my statements and need more information.

I provided them with my name and the address the cards were registered to at the time.

Interestingly Barclaycard claim that the statements are not in their main system, but they state that they do have them.

In order to retrieve the statements they need my old card account numbers.

Alas I don't have these anymore.

Should I just push harder and insist that my name and address are sufficient?

Hi Tnook,

I've set you up a new thread regarding your penalty charges reclaim for older years.

Can you please confirm exactly what BC have said about them still having older data. PM me about this if you prefer.

I'd be interested to know how they have the data stored but are unable to locate it without an a/c number.

See items 20,21 and 22 in the Bank Templates Library. Rather than wait for BC to produce some data at their leisure, you can seek an order from the court for them to produce it.

You could also complain to the ICO but I think this will be a waste of time as the ICO appears happy to trust BC's word that they keep no data beyond 6 years.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

Sweeeet! I found a very old receipt with my original VISA card number on it.

Since Barclaycard have written to confirm they have my data and can only access it so long as I have an account number for them to reference it with, well I think they are snookered.

Bit annoying can't find any old receipts for the Barclaycard Mastercard I had at the same time.

Time to write back to them with the details they requested :)

Ask them if, now that they have the Visa a/c no., they can now cross reference and check for the M/C a/c too.

Tell them that, if they do not produce the data for the M/C a/c, you will lodge a formal complaint with the ICO as their systems should enable them to produce this data, even without the a/c no.

:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Oh damn the receipt was for a different card. Back to square one.

I have just found the Barclaycard internet account site id's for the old cards. But no card numbers and the account codes no longer work.

It does seem odd that the only way Barclaycard can access pre 6 years data is with a credit card number. Here is the letter they sent me:

Dear Mr Tnook,

I write further to your recent request for information (original enclosed).

Unfortunately we are unable to locate your account from the information you have provided. Therefore I respectfully request that if you have any more information that you can supply to help us locate your account (e.g. previous addresses, change of name, previous correspondence from us, account statements or any other account number held) then please send this for the attention of the Data Protection Team at the above address.

If the account has been closed it is possible that the information has been deleted from our main system. While we will have all of your statements available, we can only locate them by card number alone once an account has been deleted from the main system.

Upon receipt of the correspondence we will then be pleased to honour your request and the information will be forwarded to you.

Your sincerely,

Barclaycard Customer Services

Does anyone have experience of getting pre 6 year statements without account numbers?

Edited by tnook

The only way you are likely to get any further data from BC about the old a/c is to take court action.

But without the a/c number, you may be wasting further time and money as the court may decide it is reasonable for BC to require an a/c no. to identify the older data.

If anyone else has an opinion, please comment.......... :)

Surely if they have information about me, their letter states that they do, then it is their responsibility to give me access to that information under ICO guidelines.

Barclaycard hiding behind the 'excuse' we organised the information in such a way that makes it impossible to access unless you have an account number shouldn't wash.

I suspect if a police investigation of 'terrorists' wanted information about credit card transaction of suspects they wouldn't have to supply card numbers, names and addresses would be fine.

I agree entirely and, if it were my decision, I'd go to the ICO although this may take ages.

:)

• 3 years later...

Hi, I sent BC a SAR asking for list of charges from my MasterCard and Visa from 1998 onwards. They replied stating that they likely had the information on microfiche but unless I can provide the account numbers for the cards they can't retrieve the information.

Is this right? Surely they'd index them by name/address etc?

Hi Tnook,

Have you checked carefully for old statements or an old card receipt, so you can give them the info they need.

:-)

• 4 years later...

I asked for Barclaycard to give me my old statements from 1998-2005 quite some years ago. They replied that they had them on microfiche but needed the account numbers to find them. Which I no longer had. Was this ever resolved or are they still claiming its based on account numbers only?

yes two existing threads now merged here

with the posts from our sticky moved to it.

tried in 2010

and again in 2013 to get the info.

dx

:bounce::bounce:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for merging dx100uk :)

is it re a current thread of yours?

have you done a dsar. they should be able to tie up someones prior account numbers to their name

I did a SAR a few years ago and they flatly said they had the data on microfiche but needed the account numbers to access the statements.

Which I felt was a but off, they should have them indexed by name/address.

You could write again to the Data Controller at Knutsford asking a final time that they produce the old data, failing which they'll be reported to the ICO and you may also take court action to force disclosure.

• 7 months later...

Dusting off the old thread.

I put in a GDPR request to Barclays last month and just got a stack of papers (15cm think) of all my data. Well it seemed that way...

Finally Barclays have provided the account/card numbers for my ancient Visa and MasterCard. They had these on record but years ago claimed ignorance and they could not search for statements without them.

The GDPR stack came back with a covering letter with an interesting line:"

"Your rights don't cover manual records, or records held in highly structured manual files. So please bear this in mind if you've requested details of older accounts or information that's less likely to be stored in files covered by GDPR."

I looked at the ICO website and it seems to contradict this. Feels like Barclays don't want to be bothered going through the microfiches.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi Tnook,

Now you have the a/c nos., will you write to BC seeking the older info held on Microfiche ?

Absolutely.

There are quite a few late and over limit fees from 1998-2003 on both cards.

I can also positively argue they concealed this since they had the account numbers all along and told me they couldn't find them....

I don't think arguing that BC positively concealed data will help with your case. The only payback may come from seeking restitutionary interest if that's what you intend to do.

Do you now have the data for old penalty charges on both a/c's or must you still seek this from BC.

I am just writing the letter to them pushing for the release of the data, now that I have the account numbers.

Interesting to note they seem to be arguing in the GDPR response that microfiche systems are exempt from GDPR.