• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Had offer but want confidelity ?

unicorn96
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have had a letter today from Goldfish saying the usual stuff and offering me partial payment £112. Unfortunately their 14 days ran out yesterday and i posted an LBA to them today (our letters crossed in the mail). Should i just wait to hear back from them or should i send another LBA stating that i accept partial payment but will be persuing the rest etc etc

:grin: WON

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

:grin:

I would adapt the letter in the link below, and say despite having just sent a LBA, you accept their partial offer as an interim payment however will pursue for the remainder:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejection-settlement-offer.html

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for that, will send off tomorrow

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

Was hoping to have had some positive response from Marbles by today, but no such luck. Unfortunately this means i have no other choice than to take them through the small claims court, as have exhausted all other means. What a shame !!! Will be very busy with paperwork tonight lol

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

Hi Unicorn

There is plenty of help here. Good luck with the claim.

Ukaviator

• Confused 1

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I have received a reply from Goldfish today after sending a 'response to settlement offer' letter. They will pay the £291.34 i am claiming. However they also said this :-

'the detail and terms of this offer together with any prior discussions or correspondence relating to your claim will remain confidential between yourself and goldfish (acting for and on behalf of itself and as agent for any of its affiliates) and any breach of this confidentially by you will result in the settlement amount becoming returnable to us on demand and without reduction or set-off. Sign and date enclosed copy letter. I have noted you requested a cheque but as their is a balance outstanding on your account the credit will be applied to reduce the outstanding balance. Offer reamins open until 16th Oct'

I understand what they are asking but i'm not sure what to do next as i feel they are black mailing me so to speak. I dont want to sign the letter. Should i push for a cheque or are they within their rights to credit my account. My problem is i'm paying them off a reduce sum of £20 per month (balance is about £3000) but they are charging me £24 in charges each month so i'm not getting anywhere. I'm tempted to ask them in return for me signing the confidelity letter i want a decent 'settlement figure'

Can anyone help :confused:

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

Are they offering you the full amount you're claiming? If they are, then you have to take it, really, but no, you don't have to sign the confidentiality bit, it's a cheek that they are trying to make you..So perhaps write back saying you will accept the money (if it's the total you've claimed for) but you will not accept any other conditions...I'm not too sure about getting it in cheque form or not...If you owe them more than they owe you you probably won't win that one lol

Yes they are offering me the full amount. I will send a letter back saying i accept but will not sign the confidelity letter. If they refuse to credit my account, my next step will be court and i will tell them that.

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

Thank you all for your advice. I have a balance outstanding on the acount of about £3300 and was thinking of asking them for a settlement figure. If i say that i will accept their offer but refuse to be bullied into signing the confidelity letter, unless they make it worth my while, (eg) give me a decent settlement figure on my account. I was going to offer them half (£1500) as settlement. What do you think and what would be the best thing to say ?

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

I know opinions are divided on tactics regarding this,but if it were me(and this is just my opinion) I would chance my arm and tell them that if they wipe your balance, that's all would be said about it....

I know others will disagree,but that's just my take on it.I'm not telling you to go that route......

Well i suppose its worth a try. They can only say no cant they. Will chance my luck and say that i would be happy to sign the letter if they are happy to close my account and forget about the balance. I refuse to be bullied into this lol

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

Received letter from GOLDFISH saying that they would pay my claim in full but with certain conditions. One of them being they wanted me to sign a confidentiality letter and, if i did sign and then went back on my word, they would reclaim it back from my account. Have today replied to their letter with this:-

Thank you for your letter dated 2nd October 2006.

I tried on 3 occasions today to contact you by phone. The first two times I was given the number for Buchan, Clark & Wells and the third time I was told there was no number for the Customer Liaison Team, so I am writing instead. I am willing to accept your offer paid direct into my account. I have enclosed an up to date copy including my expenses, which totals 296.12. As I have not yet started any court proceedings, there is no correspondence to send to you. However, I am not prepared at this stage to sign any confidentiality letter and I will not be bullied into doing so. By law I do not have to sign anything.

The balance on my account as of September stands at 3,686.44 and I would like to consider a settlement offer to close the account once and for all. If you were prepared to consider a reasonable and affordable settlement figure which would be mutual to both sides, then I would certainly consider signing a confidentiality agreement, and therefore would not in future discuss any correspondence that has gone on between us, with friends, colleagues, the press etc. Also I note that on my last statement you charged me 12.00 for a Late charge. I paid my 20.00 on 1st September so I don’t understand why I have been charged this late fee. Perhaps you could look into this. I look forward to your reply.

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

• 2 weeks later...

In my battle with Goldfish they have agreed to pay my claim plus an extra £50 'goodwill gesture', total of about £350, however, they again want me to sign a confidelity letter and say they wont credit my account until i do. Where do i stand in this respect. I would like to accept their offer but dont see why i should sign anything unless its worth my while. I told them that in so many words in my last letter, but they have ignored that part. Can anyone please help ? :(

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

If you believe fifty pounds is woth your confidentiality then accept, if not, advise them its you sueing them so you will put the conditions on

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

No its not worth my silence, but i have already told them that. As my account is still open with a balance of £3500 i asked them if we could come to some arrangement on a settlement figure and that would keep my silence, but they have ignored that totally, so i'm now what sure what the next step should be.

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00

RBOS (JOINT) £2975.00

You tell them that they have no right trying to impose any conditions on your claim, and that your claim continues until they settle in full with no strings attached. Then you sit back and wait to see who blinks first.

Your claim, your terms. Always.

[4 threads merged]

Thanks Bookworm. My claim actually comes to 296.12 and they are offering me 341.34 (50.00 as 'goodwill' gesture). They say:-

We have noted your comments and we will not accept any amendments made subject to your acceptance of our offer. However in order to bring the matter to a close without further delay we are prepared to offer you a further 50.00 credit to your account.

the detail and terms of this offer together with any prior discussions or correspondence relating to your claim will remain confidential between yourself and goldfish and any breach of this confidelity by you will result in the settlement amount becoming returnable to us on demand and without reduction or set-off (whatever that last bit means !!!).

I have tried to negociate a deal with them whereby if they offered me a decent sett fig on my outstanding balance of 3500.00 i would agree to sign confidelity letter, but they say they will not accept any amendments.

What should my next move be seeing they are prepared to pay above what i am asking? Should i write back and accept the offer, but say i wont sign the confidelity letter.I'm just not sure what to do for the best. Can you please help.

xx

GOLDFISH £291.90

MARBLES £174.47

RBOS VISA £232.19

AMEX (BLUE) £148.40

BARCLAYCARD £251.31

AMEX (BA) £151.50

RBOS M/C £222.00

RBOS (MY ACC) £430.00

BARCLAYS £505.00

MBNA £250.00