• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gadget helpline - debited acount

emmyjay8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently took out a new contract with Dialaphone. Checked my bank account and was amazed to see that £20.94 had been debited for 'Gadget Helpline'!! ???

So I decided to contact this 'Gadget Helpline' which I apparently had "signed up" for! Received the WORST EVER customer service from a so-called Helpline Administrator going by the name of "Nadia", (second name not given)!

My story is as follows:

Email from me to "Nadia"

On 8/6/2013 a direct debitlink3.gif was taken by TMTI from my current account. I have no knowledge of ever wanting or hearing about this service and demand a full refund of £20.94 be given to me.

I have not had any correspondence from TMTI or given any permission of a Direct Debit to be set-up on my bank account! Please rectify this matter and advise of same.

Regards,

Response:

Thank you for contacting Gadget Helpline.

Unfortunately you did not provide any details for us to bring up any account.

If you could please provide us your address and postcode or direct debit reference number we can confirm if you have an account with us.

Alternatively please call 08444 772 995 (national rate) to speak to an agent.

We are open Monday – Friday 9am – 6pm and Saturday 10am – 6pm

Regards,

Nadia | Gadget Helpline Administrator | TMTI Group | Corsley Heath, Warminster, Wiltshire BA12 7PL (UK)

T: +44 (0) 844 499 4744 | F: +44 (0) 844 499 4733 | E: [email protected]

My Response:

Direct Debit Ref: DL************

I hope this information will help you to solve this matter as I have not received any communication from yourselves and was not aware or authorised this payment of £20.94 to be debited from my account.

Regards,

Nadia's Reply

A welcome letter was sent by email to ***********@**** on 8th May 2013 regarding your account with us.

Unfortunately we have no record of any request to cancel your account. In order to fully refund your payment made to TMTI Ltd we would need confirmation that the account was previously cancelled (cancellation email, call reference number etc.). If you can provide us with this confirmation we would be happy to fully reimburse you.

I apologise for the inconvenience.

Many Thanks

My Response:

Hi Nadia,

I can definitely confirm that I did not receive a 'Welcome Letter' in question on 8th May 2013 and also that the email address you say it was sent to is an incorrect address! Hence, I was unaware of having to pay any payment(s) for an alleged account with 'Gadget Helpline' nor did I enter into any agreement as such!

I would appreciate if you could rectify this error and refund immediately the amount of £20.94 which was debited from my account (Direct Debit Ref: DL********).on 8th June 2013.

I look forward to hearing from you in response and receiving this payment.

Regards,

Nadia:

Our service is explained in the following places.

· The shopping basket (before you agree to the order)

· The terms and conditions of the order

· The order confirmation that Dialaphone send out to you

· The paperwork that is received when the handset is received by Dialaphone

· The welcome email we sent you directly from our company. (email addresses are not case sensitive)

Regards

HOW IGNORANT!!!

So, I replied:

Nadia,

I am writing to advise of my intention to reclaim monies totalling £20.94.

According to my Bank Records, the aforementioned sum that was taken out of my account on 8th June 2013, on the pre-text of 'Gadget Helpline' service.

This payment is unlawful as they were not agreed to by myself. The disclosure of my bank details to a third party company without my authorisation is unlawful practice, to which I take great exception to. Furthermore, I did not agree nor accept any terms which would have initiated this direct debit process.

Having researched this situation in greater detail, it would appear that this is not mentioned during purchasing or on any itemised bills or contracts as it is a 'free trial' which automatically rolls into an unlawful direct debit being setup.

As the mobile phone contract was obtained through Dialaphone, the onus of responsibility in law was unlawfully distribution of my account details to the third party 'Gadget Helpline' company.

It is my wish that this situation can be resolved amicably, however, as prelude to this not being resolved suitably I have prepared documentation to pass this claim to the Financial Ombudsmanlink3.gif Service.

I would be grateful for the name and contact details of your superior as I would like to make a personal complaint about your customer services and also your full name.

Yours sincerely,

Her Response to that was:

The postal address can be found below if you wish to make a further complaint.

Regards

Began to loose my patience here, so responded:

I don't think you are hearing me here, I am DEMANDING you give me your full name and superiors name!

To which I got:

"My name can be found below, and my extension is 424. Our managers name is Jon."

Regards

Nadia | Gadget Helpline Administrator | TMTI Group | Corsley Heath, Warminster, Wiltshire BA12 7PL (UK)

T: +44 (0) 844 499 4744 | F: +44 (0) 844 499 4733 | E: [email protected]

Now how unprofessional was that response?? angry.gif

A) STILL did not receive her full name!

B) All I got for her superiors details was "Jon"!! angry.gif

ANY ADVISE GUYS ON WHAT MY NEXT PLAN OF ACTION MIGHT BE?? question.gif

NB: Just read on Dialaphone website that they no longer provide new customers with the 'Gadget Helpline' service as of May 2013.

• My contract began on 10th May 2013!!

confused.gif

Emma

Complain to your bank that the money was taken fraudulently. Call your bank and tell them and confirm the call in writing. Your bank is obliged to refund you immediately - although I expect that they will muck you around

• 2 weeks later...

Rang Ulsterbank (once again):???: about claiming the debited amount back - very unhelpful as usual, was indeed fobbed off! Basically told to call into local branch and fill out some sort of "Redemption" form! :!:

Emma