• Tweets

• Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

WARNING.....Legal claim for "levy abandonment". Case LOST....claimant ordered to pay £4,000 to bailiff company !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

in my "spare time" I respond to queries here on the forum.

I have seen at first hand the serious problems that debtors face when making Form 4 Complaints and in particular;

when being "encouraged" to file Form 4 Complaints after viewing certain internet sites that sell "Form 4 packs" or offer to provide "affidavits" for the debtor.

Despite the "advice" being almost identical in each case and almost always, referring to the same "legal cases" ( many of which are "unreported" or "19th century" cases of little relevance) vulnerable and unsuspecting debtors may even believe that the people running such websites are qualified to provide "legal advice".

Significantly, such websites fail to disclose proof of any "successful" Form 4 complaints !!!

Last week I provided details on the forum of a recent decision from a senior Judge in relation to a Form 4 complaint and where the Judge was very critical of the "legal advice" relied upon by the complainant and the dangers of relying upon information gathered from websites.

Crucially, the Judge stated that if he had listed the case for a hearing he would have required the complainant to provide the court with copies of the legal cases referred to in the Form 4 complaint and that he would require the complainant or his "legal adviser" to explain the relevance of the legal cases to the court !!

Of very serious concern is that today, I was advised of yet ANOTHER case ( this time a small company) who had visited a similar internet "forum" after one of their cars had been clamped by a bailiff and had been persuaded by the "legal advice" given on the site to make a claim against a bailiff company for "levy abandonment" and " excessive fees" and citing the following "legal authorities"

Black v Standage & Price [1831]

Flanagan v John Crilley & Sons [1987]

Lumsden v Burnett [1898]

Anthony Culligan v Jason Simkin

Bernard Loynes v Beswicks Solicitors [2010]

Haydon v Barton [1849]

Baldry v Caine [1906]

Edwards v Morey [1905]

Scott v Denton [1906]

Warden v Richardson [1888]

Mutter v Speering [1905]

Smith v Thomas & Wilberforce [1899]

Black v Moore & Thompson [1908]

Bannister v Hyde [1860]

Dunscombe v Hicks [1898]

Black v Standage & Price [1831]

Predictably the bailiff company instructed solicitors . The Judge was very critical of the claimant for relying upon such legal cases which he stated were irrelevant and he ordered the claimant to pay nearly £4,000 in costs to the BAILIFF COMPANY.

Unfortunately I cannot give the names of the claimant or the bailiff company at this present time as the claimant is seeking legal advice.

Of significance was the fact that when questioned about the" legal cases" the claimants could not explain to the court the relevance of the "legal authorities" or even copies of the cases !!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at some of the dates on the case law listed above, most of that case law would be now redundant i would think through various court of appeal judgements

As stated, it is OK to cite case law to support any argument, but at least understand the case law which you are laying before a judge. It is the respondents job to know that aspect of that law being quoted, not the judge

Edited by redherring

Looking at some of the dates on the case law listed above, most of that case law would be now redundant i would think through various court of appeal judgements

As stated, it is OK to cite case law to support any argument, but at least understand the case law which you are laying before a judge. It is the respondents job to know that aspect of that law being quoted, not the judge

They should also pay attention to obiter dictum, as some cases are referred to for what the judge says obiter, i.e. "in passing" but it is crucial that what the case is about and how it applies and can be related as support to the submission in the current case argument is clearly understood before using it. Better still, leave these packs and sites well alone, they have the power to cause equal or even more misery for a desperate debtor than a rogue bailiff.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I would like to make it CLEAR that I fully support anyone representing themselves in a small claims action in the County Court but it is vitally important that the person taking such action should do their own research and not rely upon indiscriminate use of the internet.

What is vitally important is to ensure that if you are going to rely upon case law obtained from "internet searches" in EITHER a Form 4 complaint OR a County Court claim that you do the following:

Obtain a full copy of the stated legal case.......

Read it carefully to ascertain whether the case is relevant to your claim.........

Check on legal sites such as Bailii to see whether the case has been superceeded by appeal........

most importantly......

UNDERSTAND the relevant case law so that you are able to answer questions about it in court.

One obvious example of appalling bad advice was to rely upon the case of:

Bernard Loynes v Beswicks Solicitors [2010]

This particular case involved a company called Shergroup Ltd and referred ONLY to the interpretation of the statutory fees under the High Court Enforcement Officers Regulations 2004 !!!

To quote so many 'authorities' is a sure sign of desperation and lack of understanding. How can the nature of the damage (injury) be that complex that it requires so many 'cases' ? How long would the trial take ? There are very often counter cases on record. Such a list would challenge even the most talented QC - who would not do this in any event. The simpler the claim the easier it is to make out. If case law must be quoted then you must stick to the well known references, but even then there are dangers. Do not merely walk away from a case based on such a list but run. If people want to research case law I suggest Halsbury's as the best starting point. Be aware that don't just have to quote a case, you have to show how it applies in your case.

If the wheel was clamped then the chances are that it was for a parking ticket.I wouldn't mind betting that this "small" company will never have £4000 in its bank account,rendering the court order useless & the bailiffs with the choice of spending more money in order to dissolve the company.

I have for some time attempted to bring attention to the dangerous advice being given on the site in question. There have been many incidents of late whereby a mere suggestion the advice is ill founded resulting in paranoid suggestion the poster is only there to 'cause trouble' and come from other sites hell bent on causing 'trouble'. Admin becomes so defensive they are incredibly rude, they then remove the post or hide it from public view(to guests visiting but not wishing to join) and the poster of anything containing critisism or offering correct advice ..........well they are simply banned from the site.

P.S.

That the site offers a public forum does not necessarily mean a person has to enter into dialogue to obtain misinformation, misinformation can be gleaned by reading the threads and making note to what people see to be applicable to their circumstances.

That such information is in the public domain and written to suggest the advice stems to be coming from a so called ' legal proffessional' qualified to prepare the 'affidavits and other material required to present a case in court, is imho where the danger lies.

At least here on cag people get open opinions and there is no suggestion the advice given is 'gospel' and not to be questioned?

Edited by wonkeydonkey

To quote so many 'authorities' is a sure sign of desperation and lack of understanding.

How long would the trial take ?

Such a list would challenge even the most talented QC - who would not do this in any event.

The simpler the claim the easier it is to make out. If case law must be quoted then you must stick to the well known references, but even then there are dangers.

Do not merely walk away from a case based on such a list but run.

If people want to research case law I suggest Halsbury's as the best starting point. Be aware that don't just have to quote a case, you have to show how it applies in your case.

Lamma

You are absolutely correct. The worrying aspect of such websites is that they are preying on people who are by and large desperate for help and very often cannot even afford the bailiff charges. Instead of helping the people to "recover" money they are "assisting" bailiff companies and their solicitors to get even MORE money out of the debtor.

If anyone is tempted to take such "advice" they should firstly ask the website owners to provide EVIDENCE by way of court judgments ( with of course personal information removed ) that their "advice" works.

Anyone can "claim" that "their" "theories" work........but only a few can provide EVIDENCE.

A further point to consider is that there is of course a risk where bailiffs do not adequately document levies....which seems very common- but there is a huge difference between the "necessity" for the forms in respect of the fees....and the extreme difficulty in "proving" an "intention" not to abandon.....

I noticed that the list of "case law" had been copied to several other forums, and members are being advised to rely on them, it is a problem.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I noticed that the list of "case law" had been copied to several other forums, and members are being advised to rely on them, it is a problem.

Especially as some of those cases are particular to their own circumstances, and it may be difficult even for a legal professional to correctly use them in support of the defendan'ts case.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

In order to help other people who may be tempted to rely upon such "case laws" I will endeavour over the next few days to provide as much detail as possible about each one.

You are taking on some task there. I have been trying to find some of that stuff for six months on and off, you trace to various forums and they end up back where you started on that site.

It would be nice to have a proper authoritative reference.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

You are taking on some task there. I have been trying to find some of that stuff for six months on and off, you trace to various forums and they end up back where you started on that site.

It would be nice to have a proper authoritative reference.

She is indeed, It just goes to show the dedication of the members of this site who help vulnerable people 24/7

Really? That is very worrying. The site in question is very dangerous and, IMO, should be closed down. I have worked extensively to achieve this and disprove the arguments of the site admin to no avail. Why? Because, IMO, all site admin is really interested in is lining their own pockets, not helping vulnerable posters.

Whichever other sites are promoting this should be made public so we can work to do something about those as well.

This is a difficult one.

The very nature of forums means that often advice is given by people that are not qualified to do so. Therefore CAG has been and to a certain extent is still guilty of this.

I note that bankfodder himself is suggesting that Caggers issue claims against enforcement companies based on trespass and breach of confidence and the sticky thread still sits at the top of the entry page. This, in my opinion, is not any different to the matter quoted in this thread and could well end up with somebody looking for advice getting stung with a heap of costs.

The other site you refer to, as we all know, is run by somebody who was lauded on here for their assistance to Caggers for a long time. I know that he cost several Caggers money in cases that related to my company, in one case just over £2000.

In recent times CAG's core group of advice givers certainly have improved their knowledge on enforcement matters but I still see errors made which I try to rectify. Some of the errors are due to the differences in Bailiff and HCEO work so it is understandable (eh dx100uk :wink:)

As an open group you are never going to prevent misinformation given but as a whole most of the advice given seems to be good and can only help those that need it.

We all keep learning, no matter which side of the fence we sit.

This is a difficult one.

The very nature of forums means that often advice is given by people that are not qualified to do so. Therefore CAG has been and to a certain extent is still guilty of this.

I note that bankfodder himself is suggesting that Caggers issue claims against enforcement companies based on trespass and breach of confidence and the sticky thread still sits at the top of the entry page. This, in my opinion, is not any different to the matter quoted in this thread and could well end up with somebody looking for advice getting stung with a heap of costs.

The other site you refer to, as we all know, is run by somebody who was lauded on here for their assistance to Caggers for a long time. I know that he cost several Caggers money in cases that related to my company, in one case just over £2000.

In recent times CAG's core group of advice givers certainly have improved their knowledge on enforcement matters but I still see errors made which I try to rectify. Some of the errors are due to the differences in Bailiff and HCEO work so it is understandable (eh dx100uk :wink:)

As an open group you are never going to prevent misinformation given but as a whole most of the advice given seems to be good and can only help those that need it.

We all keep learning, no matter which side of the fence we sit.

On the subject of abandonment,I would be interested to read your thoughts on levying on a vehicle in a debtors absence & how you consider impounding to have taken place in these circumstances.I read with interest the Bailiff Pocket Handbook for JBW in which they state "taking walking possession is always risky and should never be done"

With all due respect, you would say this wouldn't you. :wink:

Your perspective is I suspect approaching the other end of the spectrum and as usual the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I do not think that there is any reason why a Bailiff should be immune from the usual laws regarding trespass etc. and I think it is perfectly legitimate for a person to initiate proceedings against anyone who causes them damage.

This forum provides a service for people who have had the misfortune to find themselves being pursued by bailiffs, if there are people who have been in that situation before and have gained legal precedent that can be used to support these actions I see no reason why we should be aware of them, but of course they must be relevant and understood by the litigant.

Edited by Dodgeball

This forum provides a service for people who have had the misfortune to find themselves being pursued by bailiffs, if there are people who have been in that situation before and have gained legal precedent that can be used to support these actions I see no reason why we should be aware of them, but of course they must be relevant and understood by the litigant.

Dodgeball.

You have hit the "nail on the head" here:

If you are considering taking legal action...then you must at the very least ENSURE that you have a copy of the legal case:

CHECK that the case law is RELEVANT to your claim

and most importantly.....

That you UNDERSTAND the case law.........

Edited by citizenB
restored quote surround

An interesting case regarding abandonment is Lloyds & Scottish finance ltd v Modern cars & Caravans (Kingston) Ltd [1996] 1 qb 764.This case is quoted in several John Kruse books and also on DWB.

As I interpret the case,it revolved around a caravan in which the "debtor" refused to sign the WP.The Sheriff returned 9 times in the next month to check the caravan was still there.This is more than twice a week and it was deemed that possession was maintained.There seems to be no test on whether an unsigned levy can be left for a period of a month for example.John Kruse states that if an unsigned WP is left,it soon becomes abandoned but I haven't been able to discover anything in writing to confirm this.The Tribunals Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 clarifies the situation for us but TT has advised that parts of this has not come into play yet (I wonder why)

Bailiffs will (rather ironicly) rely on Evans v South Ribble Borough Council (1992) in which the judge stated:

"...nothing in it is,in my judgement,inconsistent with the impounding of goods by,for instance,close possession without an agreement or perhaps without any continuing act of possession at all"

*Edit:The reference to the TC&E Act is a little misleading-This will only help when determining impounding-A signed WP will render this avenue not applicable.

Edited by Mark1960