invited same day to job interview, couldnt attend - will i get sanctioned?

joeski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

well yesterday i applied for a job and they called me on the same day to invite me to an interview, unfortunately i couldn't attend as i had something planned which i told them..they said they were only holding interviews today and was i sure i couldn't attend.

then today when i went for my advisors appointment at one of ingeus sub providers and they asked me if i minded them sending my c/v off for the very same job, i replied by saying i had already applied and they said nothing more about it.

is it possible the sub provider knew about the events of the previous day or it was just a coincidence that they said about the same vancacy? also is it possible they'll find out that i couldn't attend the interview and if they do will i get sanctioned?

the employer said they will keep my details as they will be advertising further vacancies soon.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much all of these scenarios are possible, though I don't see it as all that likely that the sub-provider knew about what had happened and asked you to apply as some sort of game.

So, could you be sanctioned? Yes, maybe - you do need to be available for work and declining an interview is certainly something that could be seen as a problem. The question is, will anyone find out? Maybe, maybe not, but if the DWP does find out you declined an interview, you could well be asked to explain yourself.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Pretty much all of these scenarios are possible, though I don't see it as all that likely that the sub-provider knew about what had happened and asked you to apply as some sort of game.

So, could you be sanctioned? Yes, maybe - you do need to be available for work and declining an interview is certainly something that could be seen as a problem. The question is, will anyone find out? Maybe, maybe not, but if the DWP does find out you declined an interview, you could well be asked to explain yourself.

how will i know if the DWP have found out?

If you are on Work Programme, JCP will not be arranging interviews etc. that is purely the responsibility of the providers.

If the providers decide to raise an entitlement doubt it will be referred directly to he DMA team and JCP will have no involvement in that process.

The first you would know about a referral would be letter from the DMA team asking you for information regarding the situation.

If you are on Work Programme, JCP will not be arranging interviews etc. that is purely the responsibility of the providers.

If the providers decide to raise an entitlement doubt it will be referred directly to he DMA team and JCP will have no involvement in that process.

The first you would know about a referral would be letter from the DMA team asking you for information regarding the situation.

so the staff at the provider wouldn't tell me in person if they are referring it to the DMA team?

so the staff at the provider wouldn't tell me in person if they are referring it to the DMA team?

They're not under any obligation to tell you, though there's no rule that says they can't tell you either. I suppose some advisers would choose to mention it given that you'd find out anyway. Others might opt for a quiet life and let DMA deliver the bad news.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi Joeski,

Like antone has stated, you maybe could get sanctioned if the DWP find out as refusing employment you could be making yourself at risk of you loosing your Jobseekers/suspended! you will know if DWP find out as you will get a letter in the post from them stating the following: Dear.... I doubt as Arisen in your claim for Jobseekers allowance!

In future make sure when you apply for jobs and you get offerd a interview make sure you attend the interviews as if you don't then DWP will find out and you will be in trouble of sanction of your JSA.

A few years ago I got offerd a interview but I couldn't attended as I was busy so DWP find out and I got sanctioned for 6 months however I was living with my parents back then and I was claiming Hardship Payments.

But now since I am living on my own in my flat since January 2012 I need to watch myself and attended every interview as I can't afford been sanction now as I don't want my housing benefit stopped and if that happens guess what, I will be homeless! so I am trying my very best to get into work now.

So good luck and wish you all the best

Regards.

i've just been told that you are allowed to refuse 2 job offers/interviews from a sub provider before you get referred for a sanction, does anyone know if this is true?

i've just been told that you are allowed to refuse 2 job offers/interviews from a sub provider before you get referred for a sanction, does anyone know if this is true?

This is not true, no. It sounds like one of those rumours that kicks about, like the mythical "three day rule" for living together.

In any case, you refused an interview from an employer, not a sub-provider.

it was from the employer that i refused the interview but it gets worse, today i got a call from the sub provider saying they could get me an interview at the very same place..i refused and said i'm not really confident on the phone as it is a call centre job. i said will i get in trouble and he replied of course not, he actually said i don't have to go for it. he then confirmed i had an appointment with them in 2 weeks and said we'll take it from there.

does this mean i'll get sanctioned or they'll give me extra help with telephone skills?

Telling a WP provider that you don't feel qualified for a particular job, or that you don't feel it suits your skills, is not something you would be sanctioned for as I understand it. The issue is declining a definite offer of an interview.

Telling a WP provider that you don't feel qualified for a particular job, or that you don't feel it suits your skills, is not something you would be sanctioned for as I understand it. The issue is declining a definite offer of an interview.

so it's looking like a sanction for me then even though they told me i don't have to go for it?

so it's looking like a sanction for me then even though they told me i don't have to go for it?

I can't really say. You can really just wait and see what happens.

Probably the key thing to take from this is that you should not let your WP provider bully you into anything, but if you do choose to apply for a job you should always follow through and attend any interview the employer invites you to.

I can't really say. You can really just wait and see what happens.

Probably the key thing to take from this is that you should not let your WP provider bully you into anything, but if you do choose to apply for a job you should always follow through and attend any interview the employer invites you to.

the problem with me is i worry to much, it was me that sent my c/v to the company in the first place without..i guess i thought i could do more than i can :/

surely the advisor would have told me if i would be sanctioned if i didn't go instead of saying i don't have to.

the problem with me is i worry to much, it was me that sent my c/v to the company in the first place without..i guess i thought i could do more than i can :/

surely the advisor would have told me if i would be sanctioned if i didn't go instead of saying i don't have to.

There are two issues at play here. The first is that your WP adviser invited you to apply for a job and you said you didn't feel it was suitable. That's probably fine, especially as the adviser didn't complain and specifically told you that it was OK. So no, the adviser can't refer you to DMA under these circumstances.

The second issue is that you apparently had already applied for that job on your own volition (nothing to do with the WP), got offered an interview and then turned it down. That's the bit that could be a problem. I say "could be" because, as I mentioned upthread, maybe the DMA people will never find out - but if they do, you can reasonably expect to hear from them.

There are two issues at play here. The first is that your WP adviser invited you to apply for a job and you said you didn't feel it was suitable. That's probably fine, especially as the adviser didn't complain and specifically told you that it was OK. So no, the adviser can't refer you to DMA under these circumstances.

The second issue is that you apparently had already applied for that job on your own volition (nothing to do with the WP), got offered an interview and then turned it down. That's the bit that could be a problem. I say "could be" because, as I mentioned upthread, maybe the DMA people will never find out - but if they do, you can reasonably expect to hear from them.

the adviser already knew i had applied for it, the only thing is said he could do is get me an interview at the place in question.

one last question...if you sign on on thursday and everything went ok, would a referral to the DMA team on the friday or monday affect your payment on the tuesday?

OK, so your adviser got you an interview but you found the job yourself, yes? That's not clear from your OP, but in that case I'd say there a decent chance the adviser might contact the employer to see how it went.

Sanctions can't be applied retrospectively, so your payment for signing on Thursday should not be affected if a DMA referral is made. You would be given the chance to put your case before any sanction would be applied.

OK, so your adviser got you an interview but you found the job yourself, yes? That's not clear from your OP, but in that case I'd say there a decent chance the adviser might contact the employer to see how it went.

Sanctions can't be applied retrospectively, so your payment for signing on Thursday should not be affected if a DMA referral is made. You would be given the chance to put your case before any sanction would be applied.

yes thats right, hopefully the advisor will forget about it.

also if a DMA referral was made on the wednesday would that affect the payment from signing on the next day? sorry to keep going on, i keep going over it in my mind and coming up with new possibilties :/

also if a DMA referral was made on the wednesday would that affect the payment from signing on the next day? sorry to keep going on, i keep going over it in my mind and coming up with new possibilties :/

You won't be sanctioned until you have had a chance to put your side of the story. The best use of your energy right now we be to stop worrying about things you can't control and think about how you might argue against a sanction should it come to that.

As I said, sanctions can't be retrospective, and are normally applied to complete benefit weeks. A sanction could apply to the first benefit week after you failed to do whatever it is that has triggered the sanction, and the actual referral date is not relevant, except that they can't sanction money they've already paid you.

You won't be sanctioned until you have had a chance to put your side of the story. The best use of your energy right now we be to stop worrying about things you can't control and think about how you might argue against a sanction should it come to that.

As I said, sanctions can't be retrospective, and are normally applied to complete benefit weeks. A sanction could apply to the first benefit week after you failed to do whatever it is that has triggered the sanction, and the actual referral date is not relevant, except that they can't sanction money they've already paid you.

thanks i'll try not to worry, so if i don't receive a letter from the DMA team by next friday then no referal has been made? also once you've signed on that means the money your due to get the folowing week or later the same week depending on what day you sign won't be affected?