Problems with home insurance claim.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I made a claim for accidental damage of some items in my bedroom. Lady came around took pictures, got some to come and clean items which they couldnt, replaced two carpets all within a short space of time. Then we seemed to hit a stumbling block. She asked for quotes for replacement items, i went on one website and got quotes for like for like items. She then came back to me saying there were inaccuracies in her information because originally i had stated the items were from different suppliers. I spoke to her and told her i only went to one suppliers because it was easier. She didnt ask for quotes from different manufacturers. Then she started going on about proof of ownership. As i had no receipts for items as they are fairly old and out of warranty. She queried my duvet because it was made from duck down and not a standard issue duvet. Which i was not very impressed about. Every email seems to take over a week to reply to and then i have to push for it, this claim was made on the 5th march and is still not settled. She asked for photos of the duvet labels to verify the quality. She then started harping on about proof of ownership?? The duvet is on my bed. i managed to find a delivery note for the duvet from john lewis and emailed that to her. She has now sent a letter stating that they have been in contact with john lewis and that the information on the delivery note is incorrect the number does not match the name or address on the note? What id like to know is what are the time frames for this sort of thing? She seems very unprofessional with her assuming i dont own stuff in my house and that i should only have basic bedding etc. She did give me a settlement figure two weeks ago which included a sale item and the wrong size bed. Which i queried and she hasnt got back to me. Could anyone tell me the timeframe for this sort of claim and are they allowed to call up and query a purchase without my prior consent? surely the company shouldnt be giving out any information?

Thanks

You are right.

The best thing you can do is to put together a full honest list of the items and their insured value.

Sen it to the insurers and remind them that they have a duty under COBS to teat their customers fairly and that if they don't give you a proper written response on your claim within 14 days that you will sue them.

tell them that if there are any items for which they want to deny loss - then that must be fully explained and justified in writing or else you will sue them.

Insurance companies aren't used to being handled roughly so serve a bit out to them and at least you and they will know where each other stand.

Don't threaten to sue if you don't mean it.

It won't work

For whatever reason the assessor dealing with your claim is suspicious about it. I don't know why this is the case, but they are entitled to make enquiries where they believe the information being to given to them does not appear right.

You don't need proof of ownership for standard household items. Obviously if the claim were related to high value items that that would be different. If you search the FOS site, you will find helpful info. e.g http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/92/92-insurance-claims.html

I would suggest that you phone the company you bought the policy with to make a complaint about the way the claim is being handled. Follow it up in writing if necessary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread