• Tweets

• Thank you both, I will make those changes. I have also downloaded the compensation list to add to the evidence and complete the protection bit off their website.  I am going to court next Thursday to deliver the bundle; I will confirm this on Tuesday. I have been to court a few times to represent the military when a soldier is in court, but I will be going. Thank you for all the additional advice. Once I have the whole bundle, I will email it to the admin email. Ill be honest, this is not about the money for me, I do not mind losing that, so I will not be signing a confidentiality agreement.   You guys are amazing
    • Actually there wasn't a massive amount of work to do on the WS.  The "meat" was there because of the great work you'd already done. Here is a version which I think is nigh-on finished. However, with Easter there are a few days for the other regulars to suggest tweaks. Defendant WS.pdf
    • Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer via phone. This part has now failed, as confirmed by the manufacturers who sent out their engineer FOC. This engineer installed a replacement part, our machine came back to life, but sadly they had to remove this part used for testing as "we would be charged for it" otherwise and reinstalled the old faulty board. The retailer are refusing to replace this part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lynzilou vs Royal Bank of Scotland

Lynzilou
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone! I've been reading up about all of this for the last few weeks and have gone ahead with the process!

I have £4451.76 in charges that i'm trying to get refunded. They sent me all my statements within 4 days, replied to my 2nd letter within 2 days offering me £830.00 as a goodwill gesture stating their charges were fair, transparent blah blah.

I faxed them the refusal letter yesterday and am also sending it via recorded delivery to them today!

I must admit I am a little nervous about the whole court thing and worried that I will not win my case - as its such a large amount of money! I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance, i've read the success stories and that gives me great hope!

This site is great though and I would appreciate any advice or reassurance!!!

Lynsey

---------------------------------------------------------------------

17.10.06 sent refusal letter giving them until 25th Oct for a full refund or court action

16.10.06 received letter back offering £830 as good will gesture

11.10.06 sent letter requesting full refund within 14 days or court action

10.10.06 received statements, charges come to £4451.76!

26.09.06 sent initial letter requesting statements

Capital One

29.11.06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

22.12.06 prelim sent - charges total £590.00

19.01.07 received offer of £164, sent refusal of offer - have until 5th Feb to respond or court action

RBS - claim £4451.76 ***WON***

03.11.06 Received letter from Tommy McLean offering full amount of £4451! Hooray!!!!!

26.10.06 received offer of £2685.00 in full and final settlement, sent refusal informing them I have filed my claim. If they do not refund by 3rd Nov I will proceed through the courts

26.10.06 filed claim with courts

16.10.06 received letter back offering £830, sent refusal, have until 25/10 to respond

26.09.06 sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

Hi everyone! I've been reading up about all of this for the last few weeks and have gone ahead with the process!

I have £4451.76 in charges that i'm trying to get refunded. They sent me all my statements within 4 days, replied to my 2nd letter within 2 days offering me £830.00 as a goodwill gesture stating their charges were fair, transparent blah blah.

I faxed them the refusal letter yesterday and am also sending it via recorded delivery to them today!

I must admit I am a little nervous about the whole court thing and worried that I will not win my case - as its such a large amount of money! I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance, i've read the success stories and that gives me great hope!

This site is great though and I would appreciate any advice or reassurance!!!

Lynsey

17.10.06 sent refusal letter giving them until 25th Oct for a full refund or court action

you will be fine.:D

• Confused 1

Hi everyone, thanks for the help.

Ok i rejected their offer of £830.00 and today I got a letter from Tommy McLean (pp'd by someone else though!) saying sorry we have failed to reach an agreement with you, please accept their apologies for any unintended inconvenience or upset (!). They believe their charges are fair, reasonable and transparent blah blah blah they are satisfied they comply with all applicable laws and regulations blah blah!! Then they finish it nicely with against that background, we must differ to the views expressed in your letter and that the charges that have been applied must stand. However, thank you again for taking the trouble to write hahahahaha!!

so they had until 26th to respond otherwise court action, so should i send a letter before action giving them one last chance or should i just go straight ahead with the claim?

also, with the claim, does the fee need to paid directly up front? how much is the fee? My claim is for £4451.76 (not including interest). thanks in advance everyone! xxx

Capital One

19.01.07 received offer of £164, sent refusal of offer - have until 5th Feb to respond or court action

03.11.06 Received letter from Tommy McLean offering full amount of £4451! Hooray!!!!!

26.10.06 received offer of £2685.00 in full and final settlement, sent refusal informing them I have filed my claim. If they do not refund by 3rd Nov I will proceed through the courts

16.10.06 received letter back offering £830, sent refusal, have until 25/10 to respond

Wait until the 26th then file your claim.

It will cost £120 and will need to be paid upfront.

There is help in the bank templates library on how to word your claim.

The cost will get added to the total amount of the claim.

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hiya everyone, just reading through the court claim things, looks ok at the moment. Just a quick question.. I receive working tax credits with the child element so I am exempt from paying the court fee. I was just wondering can I still apply through MCOL even though I will not be paying the fee?

Thanks in advance!

Lyns

Capital One

Hi does anyone know the answer to that? I am exempt from paying the court cost so is there an option to do this on the MCOL website? Once you file your claim do you need to send evidence (of both my exemption from court fee and maybe spreadsheets of charges etc) to the courts too? Any help would be great as RBOS have until Wednesday to get back to me or i'll be filing.

Also i'm really confused about the interest too.. havent a clue how to work it out. My claim is for £4.5k over 6 years, so if i add interest it will go over £5k wont it and then what would happen? is it easier just to claim for the £4.5k once the claim has been filed?

Thanks again guys xxx :) :) :)

RBS - claim £4451.76

20.10.06 sent fax to Tommy McLean giving one last opportunity before a claim is filed on 25th October! also posted this recorded delivery! just waiting now...

Capital One

Hi everyone

Ok - RBoS had until today to respond to my LBA and I havent heard back from them. Do they make a habit of ignoring these LBA's? I actually have to go into town (Newcastle upon Tyne) to file my claim tomorrow as I am exempt from court fees so need to take in my evidence etc. Should I give them tomorrow too or just go ahead and file it?

I have looked at a few different people's 'Particulars of Claim' and i'm ok with this bit - but on the N1 form, there is a 'Brief Details of Claim' - what should I put on this bit??? I want to make sure it sounds professional and 'proper' lol. Any help would be marvellous!!

Thanks in advance!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20.10.06 sent fax to Tommy McLean giving one last opportunity before a claim is filed on 25th October! also posted this recorded delivery! just waiting now...

Capital One

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hello! Well sent off my claim to the courts today, when I arrived home there was a letter waiting for me on the doormat! From Tommy McLean, pp'd by Ross McDonald! The letter read:

Thank you for your letter of 20th October 2006 and i am sorry to learn you remain dissatisfied (damn right!)

There is nothing I can add constructively to past correspondence but I would like to resolve matters with you. Against that background and as a gesture of goodwill without admission of error or liability, I am offering the sum of £2685.00 in full and final settlement of your complaint. However our t&c's will continue to apply and any charges that accrue in the future must stand.

I hope you will consider this to be a fair and reasonable settlement (fair?!) and on receipt of your signed acceptance I will make arrangements for payment within 5 working days.

A prepaid envelope is enclosed for your use (how much do they want me to accept??!!)

This is getting so tempting - i'm 5 days away from having £2685.00!!! But I know I'm only a few months hopefully away from having at least £4451.00!!!

Please keep my spirits up here! I'll send off the thanks but no thanks letter tomorrow and as I said, I sent my claim anyway today. On my refusal letter should I mention that I have sent away my claim for processing? or just the usual thanks but no thanks.

Thanks again!!!

RBS - claim £4451.76

26.10.06 received letter offering £2685.00 in full and final settlement

26.10.06 filed claim with courts -sent off N1 form with spreadsheets

Capital One

Thanks Ponine! I'm a bit nervous about the whole court thing but everyone on here is so helpful, i'm hoping they're gonna help me out if things get complicated!

I'm so tempted just to take the £2685 - especially since its so near to Xmas etc. If I dont, i'm probably looking at 2/3/4 months down the line.

When I look how long its taken - only 1 month - to get this far I wonder if they'll act quicker. I know its in the hands of the court now though so who knows!!

I really cant make up my mind!!! :confused: :confused:

Capital One

Lyn, accept the offer as part payment only and proceed with claim. They may (or may not) pay at this point and it could be worthwhile dropping Tommy/ Ross an email asking them if they really want to proceed to court as you are more than willing to do so.

If no joy, then file that claim. Dont forget......the money is yours, you simply want it back - and the law is behind you!

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

Why accept 50% when you can have it all? I do understand the temptation with Christmas around the corner, but if you hold out you will have a windfall in the new year. Of course it is your claim and your choice, but I'm sure you would prefer the larger amount in your bank account.

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Hi Lyndz,

I'm at exactly the same stage as you and also received my 'partial settlement letter' yesterday. My claim isn't for quite as much as yours, but I felt the same temptation.

However, I agree with what the others have been saying. There's a principle here - the charges are unfair (unlawful) and so why should we settle for anything less than a full refund? I'm rejecting my offer today.

However, after reading lots of the other threads I admit I have now bought into the contractual interest idea - although I didn't raise this in my prelim or LBA. So I have given Tommy-boy another week and warned that if this matter has to progress to court, I will be seeking the higher rate of interest too.

I am expecting them to settle in full before the court stage, but a part of me hopes they don't just so I can get the interest money!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on, especially as we are at the same sort of stage.

Good luck!

x Cheese

Hi,

If you accept their offer just make sure they absolutely know and have it in writing that it is only as part payment and you fully intend going for full amount. They say they are offering it in full and final payment so be careful as this might be seen that you agree if you do accept as you have to sign this.

Tempting though, I do agree, especially being so close to Christmas but think, if they are willing to jump so much from £830 to £2685!!!! what will their next step be? Full payment? Let's hope so.

L

never say never
:cool:

Hi

I have just read all your threads. I have just received all my statements over the last six years and like you my charges amount to just under 4.5k. I couldnt believe it! My charges are 99% due to them taking charges out of my account at the end of a working day and taking me overdrawn again. Does this sound familiar to you?

Your story is really inspiring me - how are you getting on?

Hi Lynzilou,

I too have completed the Court Claim form on the website this evening. My 14 days were up last Friday but had to wait till today before I filled the form out - Pay Day !. The claim cost me £120 to complete. I am claiming £2690. plus 8% - In fact me and my husband are not the only ones to be claiming from RBS - I have 3 boys who are also going down the same road. My last correspondance with RBS was the letter I received last Wednesday- from my local branch. Verymuch the same content as you received but mine said they will not be refunding any of the charges ! ' but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.' So all guns blazing now - Ive gone for it. I too, am feeling a little uncomfortable about taking this course - its all very well reading Martin Lewis's website saying the banks will back down as it will cost them too much - but just you watch - I bet they wont back down with mine - just my luck. Anyway I have everything crossed now - bit uncomfortable when I sit down tho ! ha ha.

Does anyone out there have an inclin as to when I should hear something is going through and would I get a response from RBS now I have issued this claim ?

Hi!

Well its nice to hear others are in the same position, will be interesting to see what happens with each of our claims!

I was at the same stage as Matt for a while (his thread is on here somewhere) and he got his full settlement offer on Saturday!! :eek: He hadnt even filed his claim yet!

So I think they're just settling at all various stages, some longer than others.

I sent my things off to court and now its just the waiting game! :confused:

Good luck to you all, let us know how you're getting on too! :)

Lynzi xxx

Capital One

Hello Lynzi

It does appear to be a slightly bit arbitrary doesn't it. Maybe they toss coins up there everytime a new claim comes in. heads they'll settle, tails, they go to Cobblers. I think lady luck was on my side last week. Just stick with it. Remember, the longer it takes, the more interest you can claim.

I sent my acceptance letter off yesterday.

RBS Account 1: Won

RBS Account 2: Won

Capital One: Won

Capital One (Wifes Card): Won

RBS Account 2, round 2: Won

RBS PPI: Won

Yeah I think you're right Matt, maybe if we catch them in a good mood (which is probably not that often because of all claims they'll be receiving now!) then they'll pay up!

Well I decided to ring my local branch yesterday as they have charged me YET AGAIN on Monday - £28.00 for going 2p overdrawn the other day and the money went into my account the very next morning grrrrr :x so I rang to see if they could refund it as I only have my child tax credits paid into my account each week so i'm left with hardly anything! She said she would ring the Edinburgh Cust Serv office as they're dealing with my claim! So she rang me back about 45 mins later and said she'd spoken to the Edinburgh office and they've said they're going to write to me anyway and include the £28 charge??? So that either means they're writing offering another amount which isnt the full amount or they're going to pay up!!!! My fingers are crossed of course that its the latter! Either that or they're writing to me saying they'll see me in court oh by the way here's the £28 you complained about the other day!!!

I'll keep you updated once the postman's been! He doesnt come round til about 3pm here!

Hope you are all doing ok with your claims too!

Lynzi xxx :-)

Capital One

Can't wait to hear if the postie's been for you. Do let us know. Today is d-day for me too, but I won't find out if RBS have written until I get home tonight.

Are people generally v strict with timetables? What I mean is, if I haven't had anything today is it legitimate and reasonable of me to go ahead with MCOL tonight? What if I later receive a letter with today's date on it?

Personally, if full settlement hasn't been received today, I feel inclined to go ahead and start proceedings immediately but I'd like to know what other's think.

Hi cheesy,

Well I would be very strict with the deadlines.

RBoS had until 25th Oct to refund me or I would file a claim. I received nothing on the 25th so filed my claim on 26th Oct. Would you believe it though I received an offer of £2685 on the 26th too! The post came after I filed the claim. But it didnt matter anyway as it wasnt the full amount!

So its up to you - you might wanna just wait until the day after especially if you have to fork out for the court fees - its entirely up to you.

Good luck, i'll let you know if i receive anything!!

Lynz xx

Capital One

Hi Cheesy

I received my last letter from RBS 26th October which is the letter that said Quote : We must differ with the views expressed in your letter and will not be refunding any of the charges aplied to your bank account. Unquote.

so I have gone ahead with my Court Claim on line ( £120 fees ) and I received the notice of Issue yesterday (1st) and RBS should be receiving it now - but it says on this issue that it will be deemed to be served on the 5th november (Sunday ? ) Anyway - the defendant has until the 19th November to reply.

It just makes you wonder how come others get theirs so quickly ? :rolleyes:

Anyway it good to come home and look on this forum just to see who has beat them today.

As I said in my last thread - I have 3 boys - all who banked with RBS - I said BANKED - they are now else where ! - They have all applied for their statements too. my number 2 son had an offer of £80. that was only because he was £78 - he has sent the letter accepting the amount but requesting the original amount. He received a letter of RBS 10 working days ago - saying they need to look at his request. At the weekend he will also file his claim if he's not heard off them.

The other 2 boys are adding up their charges this week.

Hey - if we put them all together - we'd have a jolly good holiday eh ?:lol:

Well good luck to you all - its good to compare like this - i think it gives you more confidence to go ahead with it.

Fionna

Did anything come in the post for you today Lynz? Nothing from Tommy or RBS for me so I'm busy with my MCOL claim this evening. A bit worried that there could already be a letter in the post for me, but today was the deadline so I'm submitting my claim.

Fingers crossed this gets sorted quickly, for all of us