General advice upon Fathers Death

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

My dad passed on Friday and he has 2 schemes with Prudential (Annuity I think)

I'm going to call them tomorrow

I have no idea how much he has in his fund but I do know he was getting about 400 per month from the two

The mortgage is paid off on his and my mums bungalow and she gets about £70 per week from her state pension

My question is - What can she expect in terms of pension from Pru and state pension?

I know that may be hard to answer but at the moment we're just trying to get a ball park (There are no other assets to speak of)

Cheers

Hello there. I'm sorry to hear about your father.

As you say, it is hard to advise. Do you have policy documents for these contracts? If they're normal annuities, there should be a clause about what happens when the policyholder passes on. There may be a further annuity for a dependant, but it depends what your father set up.

Are you able to tell us what type of annuity it is and what the details of the policy are please?

In terms of State benefits, you'd be better asking that part of your question in the benefits forum here.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

One looks like it was through his employer at the time (originally Scottish Amicable which then transferred to Pru) and one looks like a private and separate

It looks like he took a lump sum in 2008(when he retired) and has been receiving about 400 between the two since

Does retirement annuity plan (non protected) sound right? Forgive me I am totally new to pensions

Hello again.

I don't know how much Pru/Scot Am are going to tell you if there's no paperwork in place at this stage. I think they may need to see a death certificate. As an aside, I would recommend you ask for a few of these, as everyone wants to see an original or a certified copy. They may only deal with the executors or their legal representatives.

If you want opinions here if we can, you could post up what it says on the policy schedule.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum