council tax payment date **Council agreed with my date**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any views on this subject.My Local Council are demanding that if I refuse to pay by Direct Debit each month which they would take from my bank on the 15th of each month,they will then insist that I pay them on the 1st of each month in advance, if I pay by any other method,from my own point of view neither of these dates are convenient,and I am not sure they can enforce such demands as long as the Council Tax is paid for each month

Thanks

FS

I'm not sure FS, think I was given 3 options, I pay mine at the end of the month.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Maroondevo52.Hi and thanks for your reply,likewise I would prefer to pay mine towards the end of the month,but they are insistent on the 1st,or 15th.I will probably take a gentle approach to start with and confirm I will pay them Online on the 25th of each month commencing April 25th 2013,and see what happens?

Thanks

FS

Let us know how you get on, I'm not sure how flexible they can be.

Council Tax is due to be paid in full on the 1st April each year. As a dispensation the Council will normally allow you to spread the cost of the payments over a period of time - normally 10 months but many now offer 12 months. Further to this some Councils allow a choice of payment dates - mine offers 4 different ones including 28th of the month and if paying by DD you simply tick the best date for yourself. If paying by other means then payment will be due on the 1st unless you have made an arrangement with them for an alternative.

If your Council are sticking to the 1st then you will get a letter well before the 25th giving you just 7 days to bring your account up to date. If this then happens the next month then they will cancel all further instalments and insist the balance is paid in full.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why not set up a standing order using your bank's online system then you can choose which day of the month it comes out of your account. If you plan on choosing a date towards the end of the month (eg. 27th - or whatever) then the payments would need to start at the end of March to allow for first payment to be received at the start of April.

Many councils will allow a variety of dates (of their choosing of course and usually something such as 1st, 10th or 20th) if paying by direct debit but expect it on/by the 1st if paying by any other method.

Remember that council tax is due in full on April 1st each year and payment in instalments is only allowed by concession by councils!!

Feebee_71

I was under the impression that council tax payments (by instalment) were offered as concessions by local authorities. However I was routing through the regulations on a related issue and it appears they have no choice and must offer instalments by law.

Regulation 21 is the relevant part of the 1992 Council Tax Regulations, with Schedule 1 detailing the three instalment schemes – PART I being the most likely to be relevant.

Hi outlawla,thanks for the link,I will make a copy of this and should the local council dictatorship not want to comply,I will at least be ready with my reply.

I live in a rural location and the next council to the one I have the mis-fortune to be under,offer payment date 1st-5th-10th-15th-20th and 25th,this I consider to be a sensible approach,with their customers interest in mind

We will see

Thanks........FS

Are you in England FS.

Maroon Hi Yes live in the south east of England,WHY?

FS

Just wondering, didn't want to give you advice regarding Scottish Councils :)

Schedule 1 of the council tax (administration & enforcement) regs 1992 (as amended) states that you have a statutory right to instalments under part 1 of the schedule however nothing in the regulations states on what date the payment must be. The date that payment is due can be set by the council and the ball is in their court in respect of the dates.

ploddertom Thanks, Yes happy with the result,a situation of if you don't ask you don't get, even though they the Council state only 2 payment dates are available on their Council tax accounts and web site.

many thanks

FS

Much to my surprise they have stated yes the date for payment you have indicated is acceptable.

Shot myself in the foot

FS

:lol: well done anyway.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Has anybody any idea regarding council tax in a rural situation where the Parish Council puts forward the Council tax required.

The Council we are under increased the Council Tax by 1.9% this year thus avoiding a referendum by Council Tax Payers but the Local Parish Council increased their tax by 12.7% so how come there is not a referendum by those of us who live in the Parish?

Any Idea's

FS

• 1 month later...
Has anybody any idea regarding council tax in a rural situation where the Parish Council puts forward the Council tax required.

The Council we are under increased the Council Tax by 1.9% this year thus avoiding a referendum by Council Tax Payers but the Local Parish Council increased their tax by 12.7% so how come there is not a referendum by those of us who live in the Parish?

Any Idea's

FS

I have a similar situation in my village, which is also in the South East. The referendum you mention only applies to Council Tax. A parish council raises it's money via a 'Precept' which is excluded from a referendum.

Now surprisingly, and certainly in my village, there is a certain amount of skulduggery going on. The local council keep their increase low, and have an agreement that if the parish council put theirs up well above the norm, then the excess that they (parish council) raise finds its way into the local council's coffers via a reduced grant to the parish council.

There are ways and means in getting round any bit of legislation that they don't like!

Hi, and Welcome, you are 100% correct,I took the matter up with Eric Pickles and the reply was Parish Council Tax is regarded as a separate item,which I think is unacceptable because as you state a proportion of this Parish Money I feel sure goes into the Borough Councils coffer's.

As a side issue our Parish Council covers 3 villages,so naturally I asked what the Parish Money is spent on and amongst the items they stated ,Pavements,Lighting,my reply our village does not have any Pavements or Lighting so reduce my Council Tax,the Parish Reply was I have to contribute to the pavements and lighting in the other 2 villages.It's a No Win situation

Regards FS

• 9 months later...

Hi Council Tax,anybody any idea how much notice your council has to give you for council tax payment,for example as of today 1st April had no notification at all,although I have checked it online

Those councils who want to increase the amount of council tax for the current year,increase it by 1.99% to avoid a local referendum by breaking the 2% barrier,if you live in a rural location the parish council add their requirement to the Council Tax bill which takes my council tax to over 2% increase. I am sure there will be a clause so the council can ignore the parish council element,the question has got to be why can they ignore this.

Any idea,s thankyou

FS